Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

6 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Hey man, you're trying to hard.  It just seems like a copycat of the FSoJ/Warcraft berserks.

I've stopped at this point.

i might as well save the stanning for The Girl on the Train and Passengers anyway.  Don't wanna blow my load early :P 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Spielberg is perhaps my second favorite Director. And easily my favorite Producer

He's my third favorite director.

As a producer he's largely great, especially when it came to producing cartoons in the 90's.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

He's my third favorite director.

As a producer he's largely great, especially when it came to producing cartoons in the 90's.

I was recently doing a stock of the films from my childhood and had the most influence on me, and Spielberg was involved in so many. 

Spielberg gets to be second because of nearly four decades of quality films, and consistently making them. 3rd tends to be a rotating cast of regulars who I like for any given moment in time but haven't solidified dominance in my mind or heart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I was recently doing a stock of the films from my childhood and had the most influence on me, and Spielberg was involved in so many. 

Spielberg gets to be second because of nearly four decades of quality films, and consistently making them. 3rd tends to be a rotating cast of regulars who I like for any given moment in time but haven't solidified dominance in my mind or heart.

Yeah, Spielberg's still making quality films. I especially appreciate how much more low-key his movies are nowadays.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, Spielberg's still making quality films. I especially appreciate how much more low-key his movies are nowadays.

It's going to be a sad day when he retires.

• Like 2

Weekend projections from matinees are in and as we expected, out of the new crop Universal/Blumhouse/Platinum Dunes’  Purge: Election Year is killing it with a No. 2 estimated weekend take of $27.5M over three days and $31.5M over four days at 2,796 runs. Today alone, Purge: Election Year will gross $12M inclusive of its $3.64M Thursday night money.

Disney/Pixar’s Finding Dory is ruling No. 1 with an estimated $42M three-day and $52M four-day at 4,305. The sequel is set to bank $13M today, easily putting it pastMinions ($336M) and by Monday, Dory, will have hands down beat Despicable Me 2’s stateside take of $368M.  

Disney/Walden Media’s Steven Spielberg movie The BFG and Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s The Legend of Tarzan are wrestling for third.  BFG at 3,357 theaters is looking at an estimated $8M today, Friday-Sunday take of $23M and a four-day of $28M. Tarzan at 3,561 is on track to make $8.5M today, $23M over Friday-Sunday and $27.5M by Monday.

As we mentioned heading into the weekend, The BFG and Tarzan are cancelling each other out audience wise because their primary targets are families. And that certainly doesn’t help coming in the wake of Finding Dory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES is awful. Just awful. 

I didn't like THE SHALLOWS as much as I was expecting. :( Guess I'm with @La Binoche on this one. 

Have you seen 10CL yet? I know how much you hate Cloverfield but it's very different from that. 

30 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Has there ever been a year where two R-rated horror movies crossed $100m DOM? 

1980, 1992, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002 and 2003 all had two R-rated horror films that adjust to $100 million+ DOM. 

But there has never been a year where two R-rated horror films did $100 million+ DOM unadjusted. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES is awful. Just awful. 

I didn't like THE SHALLOWS as much as I was expecting. :( Guess I'm with @La Binoche on this one. 

I didn't think it was that bad. It's confidentially made anyway, lol.

I have a feeling, I won't think much of The Shallows either. Discounting Jaws, which is way different and way better then the rest, generic shark attack movies just don't tend to be my kind of thing.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis