Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

21 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Ok, I admit, I am massively disappointed with the numbers for The BFG.  Looks like Spielberg isn't a guaranteed draw anymore :( 

The days of a director pulling in a crowd are far and few. Back then that's what pulled people, but now it's really more of what looks interesting in trailers and such (aka the big blockbusters).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

The boat I'm on doesn't let me access LTE so I'm literally holding it over the edge so I can see the numbers :lol:

Can't you row back to the shore?

3 minutes ago, Uneverjack said:

My friend @ThatOneGuy got me into this sort of stuff. I don't know much about this so I'll like to learn from people who know these things. Any and all help with my education on this matter would be welcome.

Don't worry, people here will be more than happy to tell you how much they think they know. :ph34r::lol: 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Ok, I admit, I am massively disappointed with the numbers for The BFG.  Looks like Spielberg isn't a guaranteed draw anymore :( 

Was he ever a guaranteed draw? I mean '1941' happened in the middle of his imperial phase.

• Like 1

I still kinda feel like Disney threw The BFG under a bus after Spielberg decided not to renew with them. But then I also think they should've just called it The Big Friendly Giant. The BFG is just too obscure of a movie title.

11 minutes ago, Uneverjack said:

My friend @ThatOneGuy got me into this sort of stuff. I don't know much about this so I'll like to learn from people who know these things. Any and all help with my education on this matter would be welcome.

Everyone thinks they know what they're talking about but really everyone is clueless. Oh and don't ever listen to Deadline's projections. 

• Like 1

On BFG, do people have such short memories? Remember when Neighbors 2 had 1.67 Thursday numbers and Angry Birds has 800k? Then Angry Birds won the weekend over both Cap 3 and Neighbors 2? It did 38 million to N2's 22 million when all was said and done. Angry Birds also passed 100 million eventually w/ Neighbors 2 barely getting passed 50.

On Pulse right now

1. Dory

2. BFG

3. Tarzan

4. Purge

5. Dory 3D

BFG still has a lot of time to do its thing...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Still not sure Mark Rylance s giant CG (ugly) face is the stuff that will enchant children ... but ET was ugly AF too so you never know ...

Come on dude.....

• Like 1

Well, Disney invested some money in BFG, so it does not make sense for them to wish the movie to fail. But at the same time, they certainly would wish that Dory (which they own 100%) would be more successful than BFG. I think they sort of "Alice" it. They advertise and promote it a bit, but not really pushing too hard since they know this movie probably is not going to be very successful.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I still kinda feel like Disney threw The BFG under a bus after Spielberg decided not to renew with them. 

I really don't think that makes much sense. You don't just throw away a relationship with arguably the most powerful creative man in Hollywood. It also doesn't really sound like Alan Horn's style.

The financing for BFG was split among several companies, and none are on the hook for *that* much. For the sort of project it was, I think everyone acted sensibly. You don't say "no" when Spielberg decides to make a movie, but you mitigate risk by bringing in partners to cover the cost and you keep the budget manageable. At the point of green light, there's always the chance that it takes off like a 21st century ET, but if it doesn't, it's the sort of movie that could find long life on home video, and you've minimized any significant financial loss even if that doesn't happen. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Everyone thinks they know what they're talking about but really everyone is clueless. Oh and don't ever listen to Deadline's projections. 

Their projections are legendarily math-impaired, but their mid-week weekend predictions are surprisingly good.