Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It kind of scares me that 140 million is now considered not that big of a budget.

You go big or you go home. Or you go big and then you go count your losses which plenty of studios have done this year. 

Edited by Nova

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea you're right. And I would agree on her behalf if she wasn't in The Green Lantern. I think if she were cast in a blockbuster right now people would throw the Green Lantern at her as the reason why she shouldn't be in a blockbuster film. But I think in the right film, it would work because like you said its not all about the star power now a days although it doesn't hurt to have it. 

I think we're mainly in agreement, but GL flopped because it was a terrible movie, not because it had Lively in it. Using it to claim she shouldn't be cast in blockbusters is a lousy argument (albeit one I don't think you're making).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

I think we're mainly in agreement, but GL flopped because it was a terrible movie, not because it had Lively in it. Using it to claim she shouldn't be cast in blockbusters is a lousy argument (albeit one I don't think you're making).

Yea we are on the same page when it comes to this. And I would never use that as the argument. I mean god forbid we hold every flop over an actor's head. We'd never have a Chris Evans Captain America or a Ryan Reynolds Deadpool. PS: I am out of likes so "like." 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This  summer has recovered from a lackluster May.

Really?  Let's compare the flops to the success stories:

THE FLOPS/DISAPPOINTMENTS:

Teenage Mutant Flopping Turtles

Flopstar

Now You Flop Me 2

Flopcraft

Flop State of Jones

Independence Day: Flopsurgence

The Flop Demon

The Big Flopping Giant

The Legend of Flopzan

FILMS THAT DID WELL:

Me Before You

The Conjuring 2

Central Intelligence

Finding Dory

The Shallows

The Purge: Election Year

9 flops compared to 6 success stories.  It hasn't recovered

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure this has been answered, but why is Disney releasing actuals for their movies for Friday and Saturday numbers lately and other studios don't follow suit?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea you're right. And I would agree on her behalf if she wasn't in The Green Lantern. I think if she were cast in a blockbuster right now people would throw the Green Lantern at her as the reason why she shouldn't be in a blockbuster film. But I think in the right film, it would work because like you said its not all about the star power now a days although it doesn't hurt to have it. 

Green Lantern tanked because Green Lantern sucked. I remember that it had quite some hype before its release, so it was bound to be a succesful release had people liked it, and its opening weekend still looked good. Her husband Ryan Reynolds has been in a shit ton of flops and he can be accused of being anything but a proven BO star, but when you put him under the right character, with the right tentpole and the right promotion, he can flourish. Case in point, Deadpool.

Blake (and, really, ANY movie star for that matter, unless he/she is universally hated) can succeed in a blockbuster, given that the circumstances of said blockbuster are the recipe for true success. And Blake, while not a bonafide star (and I don't personally think she's that good of an actress either... she's not bad, but definitely not great), has carried smaller films like Adaline and now The Shallows to success, so maybe she does have some SP too.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Flopstar

Now You Flop Me 2

Flopcraft

Flop State of Jones

The Flop Demon

The Big Flopping Giant

The Legend of Flopzan

FILMS THAT DID WELL:

Me Before You

The Conjuring 2

Central Intelligence

Finding Dory

The Shallows

You have a pretty broad definition for "flops". :lol: 

• Like 5

Just now, Free State of Tele said:

You have a pretty broad definition for "flops". :lol: 

Well, I guess "flop" is as bit of a strong word.  But the films in there were definitely disappointments in one way or another.  Some made enough overseas to not be a flop, but I'm mostly referring to films domestically.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

This flagellation over BFG is just silly. Being a co-production with a relatively modest budget, it's neither a flop nor a big hit. But none of the companies involved will be hurt much (and some might turn a profit). It was a one-off no matter what, so it's not a huge deal either way.

Biggest Flop Giant

9 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Flopstar

Now You Flop Me 2

Flopcraft

Flop State of Jones

The Flop Demon

The Big Flopping Giant

The Legend of Flopzan

FILMS THAT DID WELL:

Me Before You

The Conjuring 2

Central Intelligence

Finding Dory

The Shallows

I appreciate the fact that you managed to work the term flop into each of those titles. funny because the films that did well would have been more challenging to work flop into their title. 

17 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Yeah, GL actually opened well. WOM sunk it. Honestly, I doubt Lively won't be appearing in any blockbusters anytime soon anyway, and if she did, it would probably be in a supporting role, and not the lead.

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Green Lantern tanked because Green Lantern sucked. I remember that it had quite some hype before its release, so it was bound to be a succesful release had people liked it, and its opening weekend still looked good. Her husband Ryan Reynolds has been in a shit ton of flops and he can be accused of being anything but a proven BO star, but when you put him under the right character, with the right tentpole and the right promotion, he can flourish. Case in point, Deadpool.

Blake (and, really, ANY movie star for that matter, unless he/she is universally hated) can succeed in a blockbuster, given that the circumstances of said blockbuster are the recipe for true success. And Blake, while not a bonafide star (and I don't personally think she's that good of an actress either... she's not bad, but definitely not great), has carried smaller films like Adaline and now The Shallows to success, so maybe she does have some SP too.

I agree. Lively has made a case for herself to be considered for lead blockbuster roles. Atleast more than these bland white dudes that HW has been trying to push (Liam Hemsworth, Jai Courtney)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Ryan Reynolds has been in more flops than Blake Lively has been in movies :ph34r: