WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I can't even begin to think of what parts of the film you could possibly talking about. All seemed very light hearted to me

All of it

Spoiler

after the dogs gets captured by the city workers, go under ground, kill a snake, get chased by a murderous rabbit, get chased again by the city workers.....the tone was far from light and happy.  It was very dark and very menacing in some parts.  But like I said dude, I'm not good with any kind of film that shows animals in any kind of peril or danger.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I dunno about trying to scare kids, but Zootopia sometimes plays like a movie that doesn't even have kids in mind. Multiple people complained about scenes in it that left the 4-year olds in the audience bored and restless.

I don't know if I would say that. It certainly doesn't go to the extremes of Rango

4 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Since it's rated R, West Coast numbers might boost it to $6.5-7.5 million. 

It doesn't have a ton of competition so a 2.5x-2.8x shouldn't be that hard to achieve with summer weekdays. 

Really? Cause I think it has plenty of competition. Just because it's rated R doesn't mean its target audience will flock to see it when there are other options out there for them. But who knows. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Wow. What an opening for Pets. It's bothering me how much its success is bothers me though. I get the marketing was appealing to the GA, but it honestly never excited me.

It also helps that it's not a sequel in a summer of a seemingly endless array of sequels GAs didn't really want (Neighbors 2, X:A, Alice 2, TMNT 2, NYSM2, IDR)

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't know what was so dark about Pets. Lots of comedy where characters get hurt/joke about hurting someone but nowhere near to the extent of say something like Looney Tunes violence.

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I don't know what was so dark about Pets. Lots of comedy where characters get hurt/joke about hurting someone but nowhere near to the extent of say something like Looney Tunes violence.

Well, that's not the way I saw it.  But everything is open to interpretation.  I just didn't like seeing them get taken away, that bothered me too.  I'm not speaking for everyone.  I'm just telling you how i reacted to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Really? Cause I think it has plenty of competition. Just because it's rated R doesn't mean its target audience will flock to see it when there are other options out there for them. 

Other than Sausage Party, there's no male-skewing comedies for the rest of the summer (War Dogs is listed as a dramedy).

I don't think it'll get super legs, but a 2.5x-2.8x isnt crazy for a modestly-received xomedy. 

• Like 1

For a really good laugh, here is my top 15 from the summer game....these were submitted before CW opened:  This might be my worst summer predictions EVER!

1) Civil War:  465M
2) Independence Day 2:  430M
3) Secret Life of Pets:  370M
4) Finding Dory:  355M
5) X-Men: Apocalypse: 238M
6) Jason Bourne: 215M
7) Suicide Squad:  214M

8) Star Trek: 200M
9) Alice Through the Looking Glass:  190M
10) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2:  168M

11) Central Intelligence:  141M
12) Ice Age: Collision Course:  140M
13) Tarzan:  135M
14) BFG:  129.5

15) Neighbors 2:  125.5

• Like 3

My gripes with Pets was the fact the two main characters weren't developed enough and the story did feel like a mishmash of various other animated films. With a bit more refinement, it could have a much stronger movie. 

I do the Pets characters would work well in shorts, a sequel might feel like a rehash of this film unless they can think of a better plot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

For a really good laugh, here is my top 15 from the summer game....these were submitted before CW opened:  This might be my worst summer predictions EVER!

1) Civil War:  465M
2) Independence Day 2:  430M
3) Secret Life of Pets:  370M
4) Finding Dory:  355M
5) X-Men: Apocalypse: 238M
6) Jason Bourne: 215M
7) Suicide Squad:  214M

8) Star Trek: 200M
9) Alice Through the Looking Glass:  190M
10) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2:  168M

11) Central Intelligence:  141M
12) Ice Age: Collision Course:  140M
13) Tarzan:  135M
14) BFG:  129.5

15) Neighbors 2:  125.5

Well, you may be dead on on Pets and I doubt anyone else was that high. I know my 320 prediction for it was pretty up there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Not to mention they were complete assholes

i know right? when that louis ck dog started jerking off in front of those two cats and wouldn't let them leave? terrible.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Other than Sausage Party, there's no male-skewing comedies for the rest of the summer (War Dogs is listed as a dramedy).

I don't think it'll get super legs, but a 2.5x-2.8x isnt crazy for a modestly-received xomedy. 

I guess. I still think other comedies being present will affect its legs. Maybe not directly directed at males but comedies nonetheless. Regardless this is all speculation because like you've said the west coast still hasn't kicked in yet in terms of later shows. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Not to mention they were complete assholes

I didn't mind Duke but I think Max did come off as unlikeable at times. Gidget, Snowball and Chloe had much more character. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, you may be dead on on Pets and I doubt anyone else was that high. I know my 320 prediction for it was pretty up there. 

I think plenty expected $290-320 million DOM, but almost no one thought Pets would do more than DM2

Guess the blue-sky trackless dark ride based on the movie is getting greenlit and fasttracked. :lol: