WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, filmlover said:

RIP Dunkirk.

At least Pets proves it only works for movies I truly stan for, and not for the ones I predict big numbers.

Just now, grey ghost said:

People were starved for entertainment back then.

No internet.

No video games.

No DVDs.

No cable.

And there were like 4 tv channels.

Outside of Godfather, none of those are crossing 100 m today.

Combined with the influence of Star Wars, maybe cable television and video games can be blamed for the lack of variety in 80s cinema. Makes just as much sense as anything else.

Okay, GOOD POINT on the last page: I'm sure the audiences back then weren't any more cultured than today. That's revisionism on my part. Hell, like 40% of them probably just sat there roasting the shit like the guys in Mean Streets. 

Edited by Jack Nevada

I'll put it this way, you win the lottery for 100 million.

Someone puts a gun to your head and tells you that you must finance either Deadpool 2  or four highly experimental movies.

What do you do?

Keep in mind you only get to keep the profits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Nevada said:

Okay, GOOD POINT on the last page: I'm sure the audiences back then weren't any more cultured than today. That's revisionism on my part. Hell, like 40% of them probably just sat there roasting the shit like the guys in Mean Streets. 

PEOPLE ARE DUMMIES IT JUST TOOK HOLLYWOOD 60 YEARS TO FIGURE IT OUT.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Someone puts a gun to your head and tells you that you must finance either Deadpool 2  or four highly experimental movies.

What do you do?

Not sure I get your metaphor but the movies I'm talking about weren't even that experimental. Sure, you had things like Eraserhead, but most of them are pretty straight-forward. 

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's really lucas and cimino (rip etc) who killled the 70s model. one through their success and one through their failure.

So basically Lucas fought the Hollywood empire only to give into greed and create a world destroying entity that served the empire becoming a shell of his former self. :sadben:

23 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Yeah, I mean.. Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather, The Deer Hunter, Deliverance, Annie Hall etc. were all edgy, challenging films. Also did huge at the box office. But I think for the past 20 or so years we as moviegoers have become so accustomed to the action blockbuster that we can't really go back to that anymore. Plus there's the issue with globalization too. 

Lucas made Star Wars because he was sick and tired of the doom & gloom that came out of Hollywood at the time.

lucas looks sad in every picture because he knows he destroyed cinema.

and how all of the nerds he created have all turned on him like fat, pimple-faced, virginal frankenstein's monsters. that's gotta be a bummer too.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What do you do?

You don't even have to put a gun to my head. I'd still finance Deadpool 2. 

On a side note you could argue Deadpool is experimental itself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

I am not sure Dunkirk will be taken seriously by cinephiles next year because the movie will have too much CGI to create big crowds & old machines of WWII.

like how everyone's laughing at tom hiddleston for frolicking on the beaches with swift people are gonna be laughing at nolan for frolicking at the dunkirk beaches with the style. his reputation is UNFIXABLE.

Edited by CoolioD1