WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

I for one am on cloud nine animation has taken over the box office this year. I've thought the genre churns out quality on the most consistent basis of any other big budget genre for the last decade or so, and glad the GA seem to be sharing my opinion these days. But gonna go all Baumer on Ice Age and say fuck the squirrel. That one can go sub-zero. 

• Like 4

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I must say the goodwill Pets earned by opening with a Taylor Swift song was wiped away when Happy showed up

I guess you can say that it didn't make you very happy.

(I make the fucking worst puns known to civilization)

• Like 1

2ND UPDATE, 12:30PM: Illumination/Universal’s The Secret Life of Pets is raising the summer box office out of its doldrums this weekend with a three-day weekend between $90M-$100M. That’s the current industry estimate off of Friday matinees. Today alone, the original animated pic by directors Yarrow Cheney and Chris Renaud is looking at $35M-$36M, which is about what Despicable Me 2 made on its first day (which was a Wednesday – $35M). Last year at this time, Illumination/Uni’s Minions opened to $115M. Whenever animated features put up these type of figures, it also means that they’re playing strongly into the evening. Also, since Pets is starting out this high at the box office, will it beat Sony’s Ghostbusters for the No. 1 spot next weekend? Maybe.

Disney/Pixar’s Finding Dory is looking at $21M-$22M in its fourth weekend, which would bring it’s running domestic cume on Sunday to $437M, making it the highest grossing Disney animated or Pixar film ever at the domestic B.O., clicking past Toy Story 3 ($415M) and The Lion King ($422.7M). Next record for Dory to topple: Shrek 2 which is the highest grossing animated pic stateside of all-time at $441.2M.

Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s The Legend of Tarzan is poised to take in a second weekend that’s in the vicinity of $15M raising its 10-day cume to $75.8M.

20th Century Fox’s R-rated Zac Efron-Adam Devine-Anna Kendrick-Aubrey Plaza comedy Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is looking to file a $5M-$6M Friday and $13M-$14M opening weekend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

They're giving SLOP a slightly higher range that IO's OD, though I think SLOP will have a better Sat hold than that because it should skew younger. 100 still may be possible, over IO should be happening. 

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't care if secret life of.pets makes a pile of money. The marketing of it was fantastic and if people like it then so be it. It's just definitely not my kind of film. Finding Dory is a Pixar movie and Pixar inherently bothers me. So then Crossing 500 million will definitely bother me more than pets. I don't care if secret life of pets makes a pile of money. The marketing of it was fantastic and if people connect to it until be it. It's just definitely not my kind of film. Finding Dori is a Pixar movie and Pixar inherently bothers me. So them crossing 500 million will definitely bother me more than pets.

I'm not hating on you, but it just legit saddens me someone could be "inherently bothered" by Pixar. :( 

• Like 6

I don't think 100m will happen.  Early previews, a highly hyped up movie based on the marketing, and an even more preview centric market than before:

Most likely mid 80s - 90s, which is a great opening.

Edited by The Pandaren

Just now, The Pandaren said:

I don't think 100m will happen.  Early previews, a highly hyped up movie based on the marketing, and an even more preview centric market than before:

Most likely mid 80s - 90s, which is a great opening.

If it goes 2m higher than IO's OD it should hit 90 pretty safely. It's not a sequel and it's not Pixar. Those tend to be the only cases of big animation OD frontloading. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Dory is holding how I expected it to. Shitty hold for Tarzan, it's going to drop 61%

The Tarzan hold is about as good as can be expected coming off a holiday opening. And there is still the chance it goes up with actuals today. It is doing this weekend what many predicted for its opening weekend.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They're giving SLOP a slightly higher range that IO's OD, though I think SLOP will have a better Sat hold than that because it should skew younger. 100 still may be possible, over IO should be happening. 

It doesn't matter if it skews younger, because it's the summer.  

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm not hating on you, but it just legit saddens me someone could be "inherently bothered" by Pixar. :( 

I don't like Pixar. Never have. I don't see anything great about most of their films. Sorry.

• Like 1