WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

So now we're grouping ALL animation in the same genre? Lol, ok I guess live action is all one genre too then. And clearly Deadpool, CW, and BVS aren't different movies at all. Nope, all CBMs, must be the same in tone and sub-genre I guess

Yep, they are. Let's not kid ourselves, there's like 5% variety between every single American-studio animated movie and every single big-budget CBM. It's literally just different flavoring on top of the giant carincogenic cake.

Would you like artificial strawberry or malt-flavored marshmallows on top?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So now we're grouping ALL animation in the same genre? Lol, ok I guess live action is all one genre too then. And clearly Deadpool, CW, and BVS aren't different movies at all. Nope, all CBMs, must be the same in tone and sub-genre I guess. I'm sure the Nolanites will be thrilled to learn Batman and Robin and TDK aren't actually any different at all really. 

I think he's just referring to them in the same genre. Besides all of the animated films could be considered comedies, and the superhero films action movies, which still means a lack of variety.

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I think he's just referring to them in the same genre. Besides all of the animated films could be considered comedies, and the superhero films action movies, which still means a lack of variety.

They're pretty much the same.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

In all seriousness, there's a breadth of genres there (and a variety of audiences targeted), at least. My argument ain't purely about originality.

Eh there are four comedies (which is about as heavily slanted as any one genre usually is in a top 10), two adventure films (one heavily comedic and the other with Costner as Robin Hood and kind of comedic), one sci-fi action film, two thrillers and one musical.  The only genre that now a days doesn't hit the top 10 regularly like it used to a couple of decades ago are the adult skewing thrillers.  I also miss romantic comedies but except for the occasional Julia Roberts movie they were usually mid tier films even then.   SH films are really the new action and adventure films in terms of steady dominance. 

There have years in the last quarter of a century plus where we can point out that break out drama, historical epic or thriller, maybe even 2 but predominantly there hasn't been much diversity or originality at the top.  1999 was one of the best years for film but the top 10 had 5 remakes or sequels and an original film that would spawn sequels with two animated films, one huge horrible comedy and a break out schlocky horror film.  It's not the top B.O. films were the current lack of diversity is the strongest but the mid tier films.  I think high ticket pricing with the rise in early quality home theater access, with the the drop on video sales and skyrocketing marketing costs is what's hurting all those mid budget thrillers, romances, drama, sci fi films that don't fit into the Oscar"worthy" category. 

1 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $431,088,295 3,126 $64,820,970 2,970 5/19
2 The Sixth Sense BV $293,506,292 2,821 $26,681,262 2,161 8/6
3 Toy Story 2 BV $245,852,179 3,257 $300,163 1 11/19
4 Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me NL $206,040,086 3,314 $54,917,604 3,312 6/11
5 The Matrix WB $171,479,930 2,903 $27,788,331 2,849 3/31
6 Tarzan BV $171,091,819 3,131 $34,221,968 3,005 6/16
7 Big Daddy Sony $163,479,795 3,254 $41,536,370 3,027 6/25
8 The Mummy Uni. $155,385,488 3,411 $43,369,635 3,210 5/7
9 Runaway Bride Par. $152,257,509 3,240 $35,055,556 3,158 7/30
10 The Blair Witch Project Art. $140,539,099 2,538 $1,512,054 27 7/16
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yep, they are. Let's not kid ourselves, there's like 5% variety between every single American-studio animated movie and every single big-budget CBM. It's literally just different flavoring on top of the giant carincogenic cake.

Are you saying all westerns are roughly 95% the same?

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And all horror movies, thrillers, action films and biopic dramas are sooo different.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Audiences flock to quality in general. If the CBMs and animation are where the quality is at this year, then that's where  they're gonna go. Or would you rather they be giving all their money to shit like IDR, Tarzan, Warcraft, Me Before You, and Free State of Jones just so you could have some "variety" in your top ten. Please. The best movies are rising to the top. DEAL WITH IT GRANDPA. 

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Are you saying all westerns are roughly 95% the same?

Wake me up when Westerns dominate the box-office.

When was the last time a studio made (and strongly promoted) an animated movie that wasn't aimed squarely at kids and families? Pixar used to have an outlier here and there but even they are basically just working within their little niche. It's a nice niche and they do good work within it, but it's not exactly much range.

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There ain't gonna be no GB threads.

Having read through several RT watch threads, all of which had obnoxious posts, what would make this one so special?

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Wait why do you hate Jurassic World again?  It criticizes this.  They're all the same but each new one is biggerer and betterer.

• Like 1