WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'll take it, @cannastop

Been watching more Ghibli lately and all it's doing is reinforcing is how boring American animated movies tend to be (even the good ones).

I'm a HUGE Ghibli fan, but I find that statement very comical. Almost all Miyazaki films in particular are about young heroines thrust into a fantastical adventure with an overarching environmentalist theme. 

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

BTW, I totally put Zootopia on a pedestal. They really pushed the story where no other animated feature went before. They reined in the excesses of the earlier drafts, which were really gloomy and depressing, but I think it made for a better movie. The sequel is going to knock everyone's socks off.

And they call me a fanboy...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'll take it, @cannastop

Been watching more Ghibli lately and all it's doing is reinforcing is how boring American animated movies tend to be (even the good ones).

What are you taking?

Anyways, American animated features generally don't come close to them. Some exceptions, of course, in my opinion. But trying to make a good American animated feature just like the ones Miyazaki made is wrongheaded. They'll have to find their own way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

SLOP does not deserve a 75 on RT. It deserves a 60 at best and I'm being generous. How's Tarzan? Is it as bad as critics are making it out to be? 

Although I haven't seen it yet wouldn't surprise me since I felt Minions deserved a way worse score. 

Just now, La Binoche said:

SLOP does not deserve a 75 on RT. It deserves a 60 at best and I'm being generous. How's Tarzan? Is it as bad as critics are making it out to be? 

Do we need to have another lesson on what the RT Tomato-meter actually means?  Really?

75% means 75% of reviewers recommended it be it 3 out of 5 starts or 5 out of 5 stars.  It's not the avg rating for for the movie.   The avg from critics is 6.2/10 which pretty much aligns with your 60.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I'm a HUGE Ghibli fan, but I find that statement very comical. Almost all Miyazaki films in particular are about young heroines thrust into a fantastical adventure with an overarching environmentalist theme. 

And they're still way more interesting than American animated movies (at least in terms of where the stories tend to go, what tends to be emphasized, what subgenres are introduced, etc), so what does that say? :lol: 

I watched TOY STORY 1 and 2 interspersed, and honestly both of them really diminished this time around. They're nice and well-made, but..... ehhhhhh.

@Telemachos I don't completely agree with animated films being almost the same, but I get the basic point you're making. I'm genuinely curious though, which films do you think should be cracking the top 10 that aren't? Because the big studio films that are not animated films or CBMs this year are mostly being pretty poorly received. (Although admittedly some of the animated films and CBMs that made bank were poorly received as well.)

20 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

b0oqIAu.gif

OK, that's an entirely different movie. One that I prefer to Zootopia, actually.

BTW...

http://movies.yahoo.co.jp/news//20160415-00000004-flix/

Totally serious about Zootopia. I don't think there was an animated feature that had a similar story as it did.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Scorsese is actually more open-minded than Nolan when it comes to new technology. Hugo was shot in 3D and Wolf of Wall Street was partily shot in digital.

Also, unlike Nolan, Scorsese has made many great movies. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And there are commonalities in any particular genre. That's WHY it's a genre. Doesn't mean there aren't various ways to tell a story and infinite characterization possibilities within the genre confines. 

Completely agree. I wish American studios would do so.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And they're still way more interesting than American animated movies (at least in terms of where the stories tend to go, what tends to be emphasized, what subgenres are introduced, etc), so what does that say? :lol:

It says Miyazaki is the greatest animator living today, and no other animators can fuck with him. However, let's not put out rose colored glasses on and pretend Japanese anime is so much more varied than American animation. Simply untrue. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It says Miyazaki is the greatest animator living today, and no other animators can fuck with him. However, let's not put out rose colored glasses on and pretend Japanese anime is so much more varied than American animation. Simply untrue. 

Agreed, not to mention that there are plenty of subpar anime films out there. You just never hear about them, and for good reason, and I'm not trying to bash Japanese animation in general, since I'm generally a huge fan of Anime.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1