WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

24 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I know I'm late but here's what is next for Guttenbergb4eb90aafd3486923b179c21cfe5fe18And he's playing his character from Lavalantua which featured a cameo from Ian Ziering's character from Sharknado. Look out DC and Marvel. SYFY obvisoully has the new best cinematic universe. Can't  wait until Sharkando V. Lavalantua: 

Best. Poster. Ever.

beaut.gif

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Out of morbid curiosity, you mentioned Tele that summer used to be your favorite movie season. What era are you referring to exactly? 

That would be telling. :lol: 

But basically from early in the modern era (in terms of it existing as a summer season as we know it) to a couple of years ago.

There's always been a lot of crap. It used to be more varied crap, and the studios used to be willing to spend real money on interesting/outrageous concepts. Sometimes they'd even throw money at a name director or star just to see what happened. And sometimes things would crash and burn, but it also meant some really off-the-wall neat stuff, occasionally. Now not only do they not spend money on non-tentpoles (almost exclusively) they also don't really try to target adults except (sometimes) comedies and horror.

All these movies, lost in time like tears in rain. :P 

• Like 2

Animation movies can be a medium and step out of being a genre. But that's not the case today. Animation more often than not, at  least the big grossers, are aimed at kids and end up having a similar message and tone. Adults compare one animated film aimed at kids with another one aimed at kids and might feel one caters to adults more than the other one. But the pool is reduced so much that the different one is not really that different. When there are diverse animations raking in bo and audiences, like there are diverse live-actions (from Django to Birdman to Lincoln to DP), animation will have become a medium. So far it's a genre which is so narrowed down that even slightly different films end up standing out, but once you zoom out a little to look at possibilities, it's very similar.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Bingo, just look at the anime movies that top the charts with regularity in Japan - in particular the ones that have like 20 sequels.

In 2013, Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya made less than Pokeman Wishes and or Conan #578,000 and #578,001

That's not to say Japanese animation isn't more varied though. There is nothing that really comes close to the works of Satoshi Kon (a creator who has inspired everyone from Madonna to Nolan and Arronofsky), and of course, Miyazaki and Takahata.

Agreed that like the output of every country, anime isn't immune to its excesses (of which there are plenty) and often it is the merchandising advertisements disguised as movies that bring in the most $$$. I don't agree with Tele that the West cannot touch Ghibli, but the fact remains that Japan is more open to seeing more subjects tackled by animation. For every Kaguya, there are smashes in Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, and even overperformers like Only Yesterday. I also heard that Kaguya's release strategy was slightly botched, which affected its performance.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That would be telling. :lol: 

But basically from early in the modern era (in terms of it existing as a summer season as we know it) to a couple of years ago.

There's always been a lot of crap. It used to be more varied crap, and the studios used to be willing to spend real money on interesting/outrageous concepts. Sometimes they'd even throw money at a name director or star just to see what happened. And sometimes things would crash and burn, but it also meant some really off-the-wall neat stuff, occasionally. Now not only do they not spend money on non-tentpoles (almost exclusively) they also don't really try to target adults except (sometimes) comedies and horror.

All these moments, lost in time like tears in rain. :P 

Well, admittedly it is hard to argue that spending money on original ideas looks to be extremely rare in the upcoming years. I did just now see that there is a fucking Bumblebee spinoff on the summer '18 schedule. FUCK US ALL. :sadben:

• Like 1

I mean, look, there was a ton of shit in the 80s, but for example, somebody also gave Jim Henson millions of dollars to make a goddamn serious dark fantasy starring puppets. Somebody else gave Terry Gilliam a huge budget to go nuts with (a couple of times, actually). And these are just genre examples.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

American studios certainly don't treat it as such.

Studio Gihbli in part stopped making feature length animation films because only the ones by Mizayki consistently made money and he retired (again).  So they aren't even a big financial success in their homeland.

Big studios aren't going to make expensive films for a niche audience.   Why condemn studios for not producing what the audience at large doesn't want to see?   Even with Oscar nominations they can't expand adult skewing animation outside of art house theaters in NY and LA to any great success.   It's not even just the US audience, the majority of audiences in many countries do not want to see mature themes in animations let alone more abstract kinds of storytelling or animation.  It's why the Ice Age & Madagascar movies made more worldwide than say Wall-E, Spirited Away or the The Triplets of Belleville.  Hell, you even have Academy members consistently snottily dismissing all animated films as junk for children so they can't even be bothered to watch them from free.  As if American Sniper or The Theory of Everything is a better movie than The Tale of The Princess Kaguya  or even Inside Out.

• Like 1

Anyway, for all the talk of diversity vs stagnation, I watched 4 movies at the theaters this week, and oddly enough, SLOP was the odd man out and distinctly different from the other three. The other three...

Spoiler

Two movies featured fingering.

Two movies featured making out with a corpse.

One of the movies had fingering while making out with a corpse.

I'm actually craving some standard blockbuster stuff. Bring on Ghostbusters!

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Anytime I worry that I'm alienating myself from the members here, I remember that we keep Noctis around. So thanks for that, and for being somewhat on my side in a trivial argument.

Keep me around? Bitches here love me far more than I love them. You, on the other hand, are nothing more than a blob with a hard on for a rabbit.

Rude ass comment...keep me around?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Keep me around? Bitches here love me far more than I love them. You, on the other hand, are nothing more than a blob with a hard on for a rabbit.

Rude ass comment...keep me around?!

You're giving me the warm fuzzies, you.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

I mean, look, there was a ton of shit in the 80s, but for example, somebody also gave Jim Henson millions of dollars to make a goddamn serious dark fantasy starring puppets.

Someone gave Inarittu hundreds of millions to make a visceral and near silent survival epic. AND IT WORKED. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Why condemn studios for not producing what the audience at large doesn't want to see?

Because without risk we're doomed to a pile of pre-masticated pablum produced to reach as wide an audience as possible while minimizing anything that could put off anyone.

• Like 2

Btw, 1991 vs 2016, I'd take Silence of the Lambs and Beauty and the Beast over the top 5 this year, but the real interesting comparison will be Star Trek VI Undiscovered Country vs Star Trek Beyond. Btw, imo, Undiscovered Country > the top 5 this year too.

Just now, Telemachos said:

Because without risk we're doomed to a pile of pre-masticated pablum produced to reach as wide an audience as possible while minimizing anything that could put off anyone.

If this is how you speak when drunk, then you are not going to be my daddy anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I mean, look, there was a ton of shit in the 80s, but for example, somebody also gave Jim Henson millions of dollars to make a goddamn serious dark fantasy starring puppets. Somebody else gave Terry Gilliam a huge budget to go nuts with (a couple of times, actually). And these are just genre examples.

Someone just gave Speilberg $140m to make a movie about an ugly CGI Giant and the joys of farting.  How'd that work out?

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen cost $48m and made $8m.  The studio not re-opening their pockets to Gilliam was not a surprise.  :lol:

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Someone gave Inarittu hundreds of millions to make a visceral and near silent survival epic. AND IT WORKED. :unsure:

And bless Fox for doing that. (I won't get into my personal opinion of it, because that's beside the point).

It's only "near-silent" if you strip out all the screams and grunting. Otherwise it's one of the most verbose movies in years.

Okay, sorry, I'll stop.

• Like 3