WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Someone just gave Speilberg $140m to make a movie about an ugly CGI Giant and the joys of farting.  How'd that work out?

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen cost $48m and made $8m.  The studio not re-opening their pockets to Gilliam was not a surprise.  :lol:

Oh god, that was in the fucking movie? Of all the things to leave in the book, that would be one of them.

Roald Dahl was one dirty fuck.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hell, you even have Academy members consistently snottily dismissing all animated films as junk for children so they can't even be bothered to watch them from free. 

Some of them were interviewed during Kaguya's year anonymously and one of them made the mega ass comment "How did these two Japanese things that no one has heard of be nominated (in regards to Kaguya and European production Song of the Sea) instead of Lego Movie?"

The folks who nominate the movies for BAF are the only ones who take the category seriously. After that, it is just a Grammy-style blind voting for the most popular/ubiquitous film.

• Like 4

To switch side and join the Tele tirade for a moment, there will come a point where this formula of the next 5 years of countless CBMs/Disney live action fairytales/Star Wars/franchise spin offs will cause the floor to fall out. They can't just give people that for blockbusters from here out and expect it to not come crashing down at some point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Someone just gave Speilberg $140m to make a movie about an ugly CGI Giant and the joys of farting.  How'd that work out?

The result was a wonderful little movie. Isn't that the only thing we should care about? It's not like 140m split somehow between four giant conglomerates is gonna hurt any of them.

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

Some of them were interviewed during Kaguya's year anonymously and one of them made the mega ass comment "How did these two Japanese things that no one has heard of be nominated (in regards to Kaguya and European production Song of the Sea) instead of Lego Movie?"

The folks who nominate the movies for BAF are the only ones who take the category seriously. After that, it is just a Grammy-style blind voting for the most popular/ubiquitous film.

It was worse than that. He said "two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

To switch side and join the Tele tirade for a moment, there will come a point where this formula of the next 5 years of countless CBMs/Disney live action fairytales/Star Wars/franchise spin offs will cause the floor to fall out. They can't just give people that for blockbusters from here out and expect it to not come crashing down at some point. 

Just this summer, we have seen audiences rejecting sequels that either weren't asked for, made no sense other than monetary reasons, or only looked to offer more of the same and had nothing special going for them. So it's not like the wrong movies are getting turned down by moviegoers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm, to be fair though, fairytales are the longest surviving genre of storytelling and superheroes have been proven to be incredibly effective for nearly a century now. There will be ebbs and flows, but I doubt they will come crashing down. At least when it comes to those two genres that have shown remarkable consistency in capturing the collective audience's imagination.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tele has become such a jaded old man. I can only hope that won't happen to me when I turn 40 in almost 4 years.

How is he jaded? For the most part, today's movies are great if you're under 12. It's a factual observation. There's literally nothing to go see this Summer if you've ever bled or gotten hard. 

Just now, La Binoche said:

How is he jaded? For the most part, today's movies are great if you're under 12. It's a factual observation. There's literally nothing to go see this Summer if you've ever bled or gotten hard. 

Cersei Lannister, is that you? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

So the MODS are shutting down all Ghostbusters topics? Awesome, they are doing the haters' jobs for them.

We'll have an RTM thread for it. And obviously it'll be front and center in the weekend thread. We're still discussing whether it's worth it to have the other threads active right now.

• Like 1

I definitely do think that there's far more variation amongst live-action films then there is among (at least American) animated films.

But here's the thing, I can't go out and see every single live action film that hits the theatres, and even if I could I'm not sure I'd want to because there are a lot of films out there that I'd probably regret watching (*cough* IDR *cough*).

I looked at the top rated films of 2016 on RT, and there are a few very well-received live action films there. But they're not still in local theatres now and I hadn't heard of any of them before joining this site. I'm probably more reflective of GA than most people here (you all seem to have watched more films and know more about films than me).

So are these other well-received films not doing well at the box office because of lack of awareness? Or is it because the general audience really wouldn't have any interest in them anyway?

I know that most of the films I've seen in theatres over the past few years have ended up being animated, and with the exceptions of Zootopia and Frozen I wasn't the one calling the shots. But whenever a group of my friends have gotten together, the animated film of the season ends up being the only option that everyone can agree on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Because without risk we're doomed to a pile of pre-masticated pablum produced to reach as wide an audience as possible while minimizing anything that could put off anyone.

Oh please.  This latest round started with you complaining about the BFG not doing better.  The BFG!   Which was given $140m and every chance to succeed.  The only failure by the studio financiers in this regard is giving Speilberg $140m instead of maybe $50-60m to adapt a Roald Dahl book which historically except for Wonka do not attract a mainstream audience.

If the audience wants more or different they can find it.  Over 600 movies are released a year just in theaters.  Audiences can pick and choose which huge studio film they want to see if any as well.  If they were all equally pre masticated pablum then movies that audiences were unable to resist gobbling up then ID2 would be making money and Norm Of The North would have made $300m.  It's not like every year there aren't a bunch of movies that make money that I go WTF at but that's not new or even recent.  I was going WTF when the first ID came out.  I thought Mars Attacks was the more the fun alien invasion film that year (even though it was wildly over budgeted) but it turned out to be  niche.   That's how the cookie crumbles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

We'll have an RTM thread for it. And obviously it'll be front and center in the weekend thread. We're still discussing whether it's worth it to have the other threads active right now.

Just reopen them when the embargo ends in 11 hours. That will at least put everyone's fears or intrigue or whatever to rest once and for all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Hmm, to be fair though, fairytales are the longest surviving genre of storytelling and superheroes have been proven to be incredibly effective for nearly a century now. There will be ebbs and flows, but I doubt they will come crashing down. At least when it comes to those two genres that have shown remarkable consistency in capturing the collective audience's imagination.

Does the Bible and Greek Myth count as fairy tales? Otherwise, I'm going with dramatic tragedies as the longest surviving genre :) .

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The result was a wonderful little movie. Isn't that the only thing we should care about? It's not like 140m split somehow between four giant conglomerates is gonna hurt any of them.

It wasn't budgeted as a "little" movie though and it should have been.

It'll just hurt the people they fire to pay for it, most likely those who had nothing to do with the movie and actually need a paycheck.

Seek out non-conformity. Look for the weird. The bizarre. Maybe even the fucked-up. Yes, there will be stuff you hate. But that's good. And even better, there will be stuff you love that you wouldn't ever even thought you would've liked. Even if you'd heard of it (which you probably wouldn't have).

Today's landscape basically means these will have modest budgets and/or be foreign. It's okay. Studios don't want to spent the advertising dollars to warrant giving these movies a wide release. So marketing is basically non-existent (or minimal, at best) and if you don't have an art-house theater nearby, you'll have to catch 'em on streaming or disc. Some of the cool neat shit you see, in 5-10 years you'll see American studio movies incorporating aspects of them.

In terms of American studio releases, you basically have to wait until the fall or winter and hope that someone throws some money into a project that ends up good (as opposed to merely being award-hopeful).

• Like 4