grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

According to Paul, the director, he told Vulture it needs to reach $500M. And if that's the case, good luck buddy! 

“A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low. But the thing I care about most is the industry looking for an excuse to say, ‘See, a tentpole can’t be carried by female leads’ ” — three of whom are over 40. I cashed in all my chips. I had to use every chip to make this happen. And if this doesn’t work, I will probably have to go back to movie jail"

Holy crap, I didn't even notice it but he's right; 3 of the female leads are in the infamous Hollywood unfuckable age(urgh). That's pretty rare these days for a tentpole, isn't it?

It has like 1% of getting 500m WW though, poor guy, back in jail it is lol

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Holy crap, I didn't even notice it but he's right; 3 of the female leads are in the infamous Hollywood unfuckable age(urgh). That's pretty rare these days for a tentpole, isn't it?

It has like 1% of getting 500m WW though, poor guy, back in jail it is lol

I posted the entire quote because I wanted people to see exactly how risky of a move this film was with the cast he has. 

I dont know how accurate that $500M number is but I found it interesting that that's where he thinks the movie has to be in order for it to be a success financially. Unless of course that's the number Sony threw at him. I don't know. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I posted the entire quote because I wanted people to see exactly how risky of a move this film was with the cast he has. 

I dont know how accurate that $500M number is but I found it interesting that that's where he thinks the movie has to be in order for it to be a success financially. Unless of course that's the number Sony threw at him. I don't know. 

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen that before. Yeah, if $500 million is basically the number it needs, I don't see a way for this film to be a financial success. Looks like a sequel is extremely unlikely, unfortunately.

Peace,

Mike

Just realized that Ghostbusters got the most coveted thing during summer movie season - a solo release (The Infiltrator hasn't marketing and barely qualifies as a wide release). Pretty much as good a circumstance as it can get. Only Civil War got a solo release this summer, and Suicide Squad comes close but has 9 lives releasing the same weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Just realized that Ghostbusters got the most coveted thing during summer movie season - a solo release (The Infiltrator hasn't marketing and barely qualifies as a wide release). Pretty much as good a circumstance as it can get. Only Civil War got a solo release this summer, and Suicide Squad comes close but has 9 lives releasing the same weekend.

Remember when The Founder was gonna open the same weekend as Suicide Squad? Yikes.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Will 9 Lives even do 5 million OW ? 

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW Paul Feig will be fine even if this isn't profitable. Four consecutive well-liked mainstream comedies is quite an achievement.

Yeah I don't see Feig being allowed to carry a huge tentpole if this flops but I highly doubt he won't be able to do more of his signature comedies.

• Like 2

Feig is probably better off staying away from sequels anyway. He recently said the reason The Heat 2 never happened was because of, unsurprisingly, Sandra Bullock (can't blame her for staying away from sequels given her poor history with them).

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

But Ghostbusters has been banned in China.

Deadpool was not released in China and many people thought it was the end of the world for that film. It ended up being the highest grossing R Rated Film of all time. China isn't the end all be all of whether a film does well internationally. It helps, sure, but plenty of films do fine without China...and even some that get released there don't get that much of a push. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feig is probably better off staying away from sequels anyway. He recently said the reason The Heat 2 never happened was because of, unsurprisingly, Sandra Bullock (can't blame her for staying away from sequels given her poor history with them).

I think Feig will balk at doing a sequel to this if greenlit, which could be interesting. Unless they bring fucking Nicholas Stoller into replace him.

Someone with style like Edgar Wright please.

8 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

But Ghostbusters has been banned in China.

It was never going to do that well in China. Probably you can shave off like $50 million from that. 

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW Paul Feig will be fine even if this isn't profitable. Four consecutive well-liked mainstream comedies is quite an achievement.

Yea, no kidding.  I think he's embellishing the viability of his career just a bit if he wants us to think that it's riding entirely on this.  He's done very well outside of this, he'll be just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

I think Feig will balk at doing a sequel to this if greenlit, which could be interesting. Unless they bring fucking Nicholas Stoller into replace him.

Someone with style like Edgar Wright please.

How about get Reitman to direct and Aykroyd to write it.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nothing for Michael Keaton :lol: it may not do much more than $6-10 million OW, but The Founder still exists.

1 minute ago, Frozen said:

It was never going to do that well in China. Probably you can shave off like $50 million from that. 

what countries will this do well in besides UK and Australia? Everywhere else it should do average to poor business. UK apparently is only doing OK Business at best