grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

So, when the previews are announced, and everybody jumps to conclusions, remember this is a true wildcard weekend. :) 

lmao this is so fitting. Listen to whats playing on the radio too! hahahaha

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

So my take on GB is that the movie isn't really funny...but it IS enjoyable. There's nothing really bad about it, and some parts are quite fun. But again, not a funny laugh out loud comedy or anything. Also, I felt the special effects were really good. I wasn't expecting it to be such a visual treat.

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So my take on GB is that the movie isn't really funny...but it IS enjoyable. There's nothing really bad about it, and some parts are quite fun. But again, not a funny laugh out loud comedy or anything. Also, I felt the special effects were really good. I wasn't expecting it to be such a visual treat.

The trailers weren't really laugh out loud funny either, so im not surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

:jeb!:44% audience rating on RT.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Woah either internet trolls are already attacking Flixster or people really didn't like it.

The average rating of 2.6/5 is very suspiciously low, IDR has an average rating of 2.8/5 even though its audience score is 36%. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's internet trolls at work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The average rating of 2.6/5 is very suspiciously low, IDR has an average rating of 2.8/5 even though its audience score is 36%. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's internet trolls at work.

IDR was at 45% at the same point.

Of course it's trolls at work.  The score was as predictable as the rising sun.  The question will be whether or not it rises as people who have actually seen the movie start rating it and whether or not there's enough of them to beat back the trolls.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Olive said:

IDR was at 45% at the same point.

But if I recall correctly, it also had an even higher average rating at that time?

Edit: Confirmed. At that point IDR average rating was 3.1/5. Honestly, 2.6/5 rating is ridiculously low, I'm pretty sure that's trolls giving one star ratings. (or half?)

Edited by Jason

The reason I say "of course it's trolls" is that the "want to see it" score (which is what shows up BEFORE the Auidence Score goes live) was plummeting over the last few days.  Something that I have never seen on RT before.  Admittedly, I don't make it a habit of watching the Flixster score of a lot of films before release, but I have never seen a tentpole film drop as much as it had over the last week.  All coinciding with a segment of the IMDB userbase declaring war on this film.  

Don't have to believe in conspiracy theories to see a connection. :)

So unlike for most movies, the Audience Score is going to be pretty damn useless for a while.  Perhaps forever, thanks to all of the bogus votes that are readily apparent here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Of course it's trolls at work.  The score was as predictable as the rising sun.  The question will be whether or not it rises as people who have actually seen the movie start rating it and whether or not there's enough of them to beat back the trolls.

There's people who have seen it rating it already. 

And there are some legit bad ratings that don't look like trolls. The trolls leave very little.

One Star rating - "I don't understand how this movie is receiving such praise from RT...unless someone's palms are being greased. Are we watching the same movie? I was actually defending the movie when it was receiving a lot of criticism during marketing. I'm actually surprised at how unsatisfied I am with the final product. For a movie that was being touted as a platform to empower women in lead roles, the 4 main characters were empty stereotypes more akin to cartoon characters than a legitimate live action movie. They felt like they were too "in on the joke" and this sort of approach, unlike the original, made the entire experience feel cheapened and shallow. Word of advice: if you want to push a message that empowers women, don't stereotype their characters while cheapening male roles. It sabotages the movement to see more lead female roles attracting a wider audience because it feels like in order to level the playing field the had to cast every make character as an asshole, an idiot, or a sociopath. The sad thing is, somehow inadvertently Chris Hemsworth steals the show and he did almost nothing but portray a complete idiot. My final verdict? Don't pay to see this movie. Let your wallet send the message to Hollywood that they should be held accountable for poorly written and thought out movies. (For the record, I'm a fan of most of the director's work as well as a massively big fan of McCarthy.) There were some amazing parts in this movie, particularly the beginning. But all it really did was get your hopes up for a big let down."

1/2 star rating - "As a kid, Ghostbusters was one of my favourite movies. It was extremely well written, with some lines that still stand out as being genius, even today. It had some of the best comedians of our generation acting in it, as well as a fantastic supporting cast, including Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis. Its special effects for the time were state of the art, and really brought it all together. I loved this movie.

Paul Feig just shat all over this.

What I watched today was not the Ghostbusters that I grew up loving. It was the same old rot that Hollywood have been shilling for the past number of years as "Action Comedy", whoever wrote the script to this movie is a hack and should be ashamed of themselves. It comprised of nothing more than fart (they went to great pains to point out that it was a "front fart"), poo, and other bodily function jokes. There was no intelligence in the writing whatsoever. This movie was written for 14 year old boys."

- that one goes on for a while and states lines no one could know without seeing it.

• Like 2