grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Stupidity. I was one of the few who actually thinks I would enjoy a sequel because my problems with this one would be hopefully fixed in a sequel but if the first movie isn't profitable, what makes them think a second or third one will be? Especially with the budgets these types of movies need. 

If the legs show that the movie is getting positive feedback with room for growth, they can cut the budget a bit (honestly, the movie didn't need to go all out with the CGI in the third act), and possibly try and add a big name or something to spice things up and go forward.

Honestly, I jokingly said this, but just tie MIB, Jump Street, and Ghostbusters into one big ass comedic universe. Jenko and Schmidt need to be in EVERYTHING.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 6

I bet that Men in Black reboot/23 Jump Street movie (lol that makes no sense whatsoever) will eventually be retooled into a MIB/GB one. Which would actually make sense. The original Men in Black was to the 90s what Ghostbusters was to the 80s.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If the legs show that the movie is getting positive feedback with room for growth, they can cut the budget a bit (honestly, the movie didn't need to go all out with the CGI in the third act), and possibly try and add a big name or something to spice things up and go forward.

Honestly, I jokingly said this, but just tie MIB, Jump Street, and Ghostbusters into one big ass comedic universe. Jenko and Schmidt need to be in EVERYTHING.

The sequel definitely risks being a TMNT2. TMNT got a 3x legs enroute to almost 200M domestic and 400M WW. Ghostbusters has opened lower both domestic and WW compared to it. Looks like around 350-380M WW is best case, especially with no China release.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If they can cut the budget then yes I agree with sequels. I also agree that the CGI was unnecessary. However these are all ifs. If it has good legs. If they can cut the budget. Of course it's box office run has just begun so we won't know until the end. 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The sequel definitely risks being a TMNT2. TMNT got a 3x legs enroute to almost 200M domestic and 400M WW. Ghostbusters has opened lower both domestic and WW compared to it. Looks like around 350-380M WW is best case, especially with no China release.

That seems like a definite possibility. TMNT had good legs, but it didn't have the critical reception to back it, whereas Ghostbusters does. I can't tell if TMNT was just the beneficiary of being a good family alternative to GOTG or if people actually enjoyed it. But I'm not sure anybody's really clamoring for a sequel with Ghostbusters. For the most part, the reception is fine, maybe a bit better.

On the other hand, there have been movies like say Batman Begins and Nu Star Trek that managed to go on despite somewhat low worldwide totals (granted, these were years ago and Ghostbusters doesn't have the same type of reception).

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Here's my latest "RT Watch" update on the critical reception of summer films:

I'm hoping Jason Bourne will come close to the top of the list with a 90+% and 8.0 or higher average rating, ala. Bourne Ultimatum. With Greengrass and Damon back, one can hope.

Ice Age: Collision Course looks to be nearly the worst critically received film of the summer. 

Summer Films (Wide-Release — May/June/July so far)

FRESH

Finding Dory - 95% - 7.7 rating

Captain America: Civil War - 90% - 7.6 rating

Star Trek Beyond - 89% - 7.5 rating

The Conjuring 2 - 80% - 6.6 rating

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - 77% - 6.7 rating

The Shallows - 76% - 6.5 rating

Ghostbusters - 73% - 6.5 rating

Secret Life of Pets - 73% - 6.2 rating

The BFG - 73% - 6.7 rating

Central Intelligence - 67% - 5.7 rating

The Infiltrator - 65% - 6.4 rating 

Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising - 62% - 5.7 rating

ROTTEN

Me Before You - 59% - 5.6 rating

Money Monster - 57% - 5.9 rating

The Purge: Election Year - 55% - 5.3 rating

X-Men: Apocalypse - 48% - 5.7 rating

Free State of Jones - 43% - 5.4 rating

Angry Birds Movie - 43% - 4.9 rating

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - 40% - 5.0 rating

TMNT: Out of the Shadows - 38% - 4.7 rating

The Legend of Tarzan - 36% - 5.0 rating

Now You See Me 2 - 33% - 4.9 rating

Independence Day: Resurgence - 32% - 4.4 rating

Alice Through the Looking Glass - 30% - 4.6 rating

Warcraft - 29% - 4.2 rating

Ice Age: Collision Course - 16% - 4.2 rating

The Darkness - 5% - 2.5 rating

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

Just now, MrPink said:

That seems like a definite possibility. TMNT had good legs, but it didn't have the critical reception to back it, whereas Ghostbusters does. But I'm not sure anybody's really clamoring for a sequel with this one. For the most part, the reception is fine, maybe a bit better.

On the other hand, there have been movies like say Batman Begins and Nu Star Trek that managed to go on despite somewhat low worldwide totals (granted, these were years ago and Ghostbusters doesn't have the same type of reception).

Batman Begins wasn't going to get a sequel till home video exploded. This means that if it was released now, and made the exact same, there is a chance we never get TDK and TDKR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Batman Begins wasn't going to get a sequel till home video exploded. This means that if it was released now, and made the exact same, there is a chance we never get TDK and TDKR.

:sadben::sadben::sadben:

That would have been the darkest timeline.

• Like 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had a gimmick (a Ninja Turtles reboot!) that was only good for one movie, and the sequel gave audiences no reason to come back. Ghostbusters has a gimmick (a reboot but with females!) that is also only good for one movie but it has potential to possibly go places from there. We'll have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There is a reason why we won't be getting Mad Max: Fury Road 2. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why do some sequels to break out hits increase (Hangover 2, 22 Jump St) and others drop like a rock (Trek 2, TMNT2)?

Hangover 2 dropped a bit from the first but still came close. 22 Jump Street did increase though (probably because audiences wanted more of Tatum and Hill's chemistry and would've followed them to whatever mainstream comedy they would've teamed up on next).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

That seems like a definite possibility. TMNT had good legs, but it didn't have the critical reception to back it, whereas Ghostbusters does. I can't tell if TMNT was just the beneficiary of being a good family alternative to GOTG or if people actually enjoyed it. But I'm not sure anybody's really clamoring for a sequel with Ghostbusters. For the most part, the reception is fine, maybe a bit better.

I am. :)

Seriously, I am praying that this movie somehow manages to make enough money to justify a sequel.

I just want to see these characters interact again; I was utterly charmed by Patty, Abby, Erin, and Jillian.

Heck, even Hemsworth's clueless himbo captivated me, and I am certainly no fan of Hemsworth's.

• Like 2