grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I am. :)

Seriously, I am praying that this movie somehow manages to make enough money to justify a sequel.

I just want to see these characters interact again; I was utterly charmed by Patty, Abby, Erin, and Jillian.

Heck, even Hemsworth's clueless himbo captivated me, and I am certainly no fan of Hemsworth's.

I wasn't a big fan but I hope it works for you. I don't have any ill will towards the film. Did like Hemsworth, Jones, and McKinnon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I wasn't a big fan but I hope it works for you. I don't have any ill will towards the film. Did like Hemsworth, Jones, and McKinnon.

I neither liked nor hated the movie, there were parts which really worked and parts which really did not. Overall, it was enjoyable enough but have no strong desire to rewatch it anytime soon. The movie has the second most egregious villain monologue though, second only to this one

Brought to us from the same guy who wrote this

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I neither liked nor hated the movie, there were parts which really worked and parts which really did not. Overall, it was enjoyable enough but have no strong desire to rewatch it anytime soon. The movie has the second most egregious villain monologue though, second only to this one

Brought to us from the same guy who wrote this

God, I hope Incredibles 2 doesn't suck

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters is probably my favorite of this summer's action movies. But then the pickings have been really slim there.

It's my favorite film of the year, period. I am just head-over-heels in love with it, and I am as obsessed with it as I am with The Shallows.

If that makes me a "feminazi" or an "SJW" or whatever other silly thing some extreme people are accusing GB16's fans of being, then...

Patty.jpg

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why do some sequels to break out hits increase (Hangover 2, 22 Jump St) and others drop like a rock (Trek 2, TMNT2)?

How on Earth did STiD drop "like a rock" lol. It made like 90% of the original.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, firenskill2000 said:

Someone mentioned maybe in this thread or the ghostbusters thread that the game released in 2009 was for all intents and purposes ghostbusters 3. I think the same applies to BTTF. The Telltale game released a few years ago was written by Gale and Lloyd voiced Doc. I don't think I would want another BTTF at this point. Too much has changed.

Yeah that was basically BTTF 4. The cliffhanger ending was supposed to be followed up, but Telltale acquired Walking Dead and that idea died. Currently the game is being adapted into a series of comic books, maybe that will drum up support.

I mean, it wasn't fantastic but explored some really neat ideas about parallel timelines that the original trilogy never explored, and the flirting with the idea of Doc as an antagonist was neat. The whole thing with Edna Strickland was odd, but it didn't feel recycled. That's what I want from a Ghostbusters movie is them to do something that isn't the same damn plot! Do something NEW already, damn it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Yeah that was basically BTTF 4. The cliffhanger ending was supposed to be followed up, but Telltale acquired Walking Dead and that idea died. Currently the game is being adapted into a series of comic books, maybe that will drum up support.

I mean, it wasn't fantastic but explored some really neat ideas about parallel timelines that the original trilogy never explored, and the flirting with the idea of Doc as an antagonist was neat. The whole thing with Edna Strickland was odd, but it didn't feel recycled. That's what I want from a Ghostbusters movie is them to do something that isn't the same damn plot! Do something NEW already, damn it!

They also rereleased the game for Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U.

Just now, filmlover said:

I have to imagine back in 2002 that no one thought either The Fast & the Furious or Ice Age would spawn movie franchises that would still be going strong 15 years later.

In retrospect, Vin Diesel holding out for more money to return for 2 Fast 2 Furious is the best thing that ever happened to the franchise. It allowed them to bring in new cast members and expand the world of the franchise while keeping things somewhat fresh. If Diesel had returned for the sequel, the franchise would have probably had the same lifecycle like most others - a sequel which opens big and just about matches the first movie in gross, a 3rd movie with the same cast which falls from the second, and a 4th movie which everyone is clearly doing for the paycheck and to end the franchise.

Instead, they got new cast members and a new storyline, and smartly brought in The Rock at just the right point when the audience was finally ready to get "in" on the joke (seriously, look at the jump in box office between Fast and Furious and Fast Five, it is somewhat ridiculous), it also helped that Fast Five was the best of the bunch by far and the expanded audience got a really fun movie to watch

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Furious 7 Uni. $1,516.0 $353.0 23.3% $1,163.0 76.7% 2015
2 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $788.7 $238.7 30.3% $550.0 69.7% 2013
3 Fast Five Uni. $626.1 $209.8 33.5% $416.3 66.5% 2011
4 Fast and Furious Uni. $363.2 $155.1 42.7% $208.1 57.3% 2009
5 2 Fast 2 Furious Uni. $236.4 $127.2 53.8% $109.2 46.2% 2003
6 The Fast and the Furious Uni. $207.3 $144.5 69.7% $62.8 30.3% 2001
7 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $158.5 $62.5 39.4% $96.0 60.6% 2006

Everyone got on board with the craziness with Fast Five. They then smartly brought in new villains and new characters and the series is now a million miles away from its "street racing cops and robbers" storyline.

• Like 6