grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Man, Ghostbusters was pretty good. Crowd ate it up. Crowd was also mostly either families with kids or young professionals, so I honestly think this could leg its way over 150, tbh. Amazing reception at the end for this. Small sample size, obviously, but this is performing already like something not super frontloaded. I think it will hit 150. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man, Ghostbusters was pretty good. Crowd ate it up. Crowd was also mostly either families with kids or young professionals, so I honestly think this could leg its way over 150, tbh. Amazing reception at the end for this. Small sample size, obviously, but this is performing already like something not super frontloaded. I think it will hit 150. 

I'm fully expecting legs to be strong. I almost want to go see it again not only for the 3D but because there were times where I couldn't hear some of the dialogue due to so much laughter.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm fully expecting legs to be strong. I almost want to go see it again not only for the 3D but because there were times where I couldn't hear some of the dialogue due to so much laughter.

Yea. Honestly, this movie reminded me of TFA alot (I didn't like it as much as TFA, but I did like it). It tried wayyyy too hard to be too much like the original, but it was so fun and well-cast that it hardly mattered. Certainly in the upper tier of movies this summer. This movie mainly seems to be breaking out with families and older women, so I just really don't see much of a rush factor beyond the first night. I think it'll hit a 3x for sure. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In retrospect, Vin Diesel holding out for more money to return for 2 Fast 2 Furious is the best thing that ever happened to the franchise. It allowed them to bring in new cast members and expand the world of the franchise while keeping things somewhat fresh. If Diesel had returned for the sequel, the franchise would have probably had the same lifecycle like most others - a sequel which opens big and just about matches the first movie in gross, a 3rd movie with the same cast which falls from the second, and a 4th movie which everyone is clearly doing for the paycheck and to end the franchise.

Instead, they got new cast members and a new storyline, and smartly brought in The Rock at just the right point when the audience was finally ready to get "in" on the joke (seriously, look at the jump in box office between Fast and Furious and Fast Five, it is somewhat ridiculous), it also helped that Fast Five was the best of the bunch by far and the expanded audience got a really fun movie to watch

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Furious 7 Uni. $1,516.0 $353.0 23.3% $1,163.0 76.7% 2015
2 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $788.7 $238.7 30.3% $550.0 69.7% 2013
3 Fast Five Uni. $626.1 $209.8 33.5% $416.3 66.5% 2011
4 Fast and Furious Uni. $363.2 $155.1 42.7% $208.1 57.3% 2009
5 2 Fast 2 Furious Uni. $236.4 $127.2 53.8% $109.2 46.2% 2003
6 The Fast and the Furious Uni. $207.3 $144.5 69.7% $62.8 30.3% 2001
7 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $158.5 $62.5 39.4% $96.0 60.6% 2006

Everyone got on board with the craziness with Fast Five. They then smartly brought in new villains and new characters and the series is now a million miles away from its "street racing cops and robbers" storyline.

If someone told me back in 2009 that a Furious movie would hit 1.5 billion I would've had them committed to a mental ward. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

GI Joe:Rise of Cobra is playing on TV. Whatever happened to Sienna Miller? I remember her being touted as the "next big thing" when the movie was coming out.

She was in a bunch of movies in 2014 and 2015 including American Sniper and Foxcatcher

Edited by John Marston

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

BTW I don't know about anyone else but I got nervous yesterday when the trailer for that Madea Halloween movie had the entire audience in stitches. Good god.

My wife and son cracked up at the teaser. They love those Madea movies. 

BLEH!! Lol

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Why do some sequels to break out hits increase (Hangover 2, 22 Jump St) and others drop like a rock (Trek 2, TMNT2)?

STiD - 467m WW

ST 09 - 385 WW

It saw a small drop DOM but increased OS. 

You're right about TMNT 2 though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

Now if one wants to talk about similiarites, IMO the most similiar franchise to Ghostbusters when it comes to public consciousness and staying power isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones or even Jurassic Park.  It's Back to the Future.  It has had a lasting impact on the culture, it has had cosplayers forever.  It had a (semi-)successful cartoon and a couple (semi-)successful games.  But much like Ghostbusters it hasn't been in the forefront of public consciousness.

However, I am fairly skeptical that any sort of sequel to BTTF would be guaranteed to be any sort of massive hit.  For one thing, nostaliga doesn't always sell, as ID:R more than easily proved.  For another, recapturing that magic is a tough job even when the public might feel fondly toward things.

IDK. Personally I think that BTTF4 with a new kid in the lead and Marty in the Doc role with them going from 2015 back to 1985 would have been huge last year, especially with Zemeckis directing. I mean, I'm glad it didn't happen, but shit could've made 350M+ at least considering all the BTTF hype last year. Especially with Fox back in a major role and a cameo by Lloyd.

But didn't happen and now I bet another Back to the Future never happens, and that's okay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Good. 500M is still a prestigious club and Dory wasn't deserving enough. Beating Shrek 2 for the domestic animation crown is more than enough.

Just wanna make sure you know that even though I liked this, I completely disagree with you

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This movie is somehow going to make it past 500M WW at least by the looks of it. The series OS strength is just amazing.

I don't see how, China and Italy are the only big markets left.

How far can it go with a 50m 2nd weekend (heavily aided by new openings) and 130m total so far?

I say 230m from current markets + 100 from China, Italy and other minor markets + 100m US = 430m

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nova said:

Are there people seriously talking about Pokemon Go and the failed coupe in Turkey as reasons why the box office numbers are low? 

Please. Pokemon Go users will pay money to go sit in a theater just so they can catch more Pokemon. 

And what the heck does a failed coupe have to do with anything? 

Yeah my theater has been advertising that they're a PokeStop... haha

38 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Does Hunt for the Wilderpeople's distributor typically have two week contracts? I wanna see it but the earliest I could would be next Saturday...

Do whatever you can to watch this movie. I thought it was right up there with Sing Street and Swiss Army Man. My showing this weekend had a pretty large crowd, so hopefully WOM keeps this in theaters. It deserves its accolades.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

She was in a bunch of movies in 2014 and 2015 including American Sniper and Foxcatcher

Plus she was just on Broadway too (I believe she took over Cabaret from Emma Stone and Michelle Williams before her).