baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

More good movies on the list.

A Bronx Tale - Defintely very underrated 90's movie. The screenplay for this movie was great and made me think at the time that Chazz  Palminteri would go on to bigger and better things. I don't think it really happened.

Children of the Corn - Definately a horror 80's classic. A fresh new concept at time with the slasher fad somewhat dying down. The actor who played Issac was super creepy. Not just because of the role, the actor had this "man-boy" thing that made it even more creepier. 

Oscar - As a Sly fan, this is one of the few movies of his I never watched. I remember he was trying to do the comedy thing around time with this and "Stop or my Mom will Shoot". I unfortunately watched the latter at the theater and it was awful, lol. 

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 1

Beautiful Girls (1996)

Directed by:  Ted Demme

Starring: Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, Lauren Holly, Timothy Hutton, Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Rapaport, Natalie Portman, Mira Sorvino, David Arquette

Box office:  10.6M

It is very rare to encounter a film so devoted to character and this is the greatest strength of Beautiful Girls. Each character has their own personal turmoil and lightness which shines through in a film which from start to finish very little movement of plot is actually achieved, but then again it doesn't need to.

Small-town sensibilities and community spirit are intertwined with the notions of enigmatic strangers posing in an almost prophetic manner delivering advice upon the populous. Events such as brutal fighting, unashamed drunkenness and references to sex are handled as items which are not derogatory but necessary in a rites of passage kind of way. Each character develops through the film into better individuals of what they once were but not to such an extent as to impose sickly sweet values on the audience.

Every character is natural and rounded despite some major personality flaws. Timothy Hutton's excellent Willy is at odds with himself over the next stage of growing up, Rappaport plays the goofy yet loveable fool for love, Dillon the lost soul and Emmerich the doting yet somewhat incapable father. But it is in the Beautiful Women themselves where the real essence of the film lies. Uma Thurman is every blonde inch the mysterious and elegant Andera crossing paths with everyone and influencing their lives for the better. Rosie O'Donnell as the brash 'matron' of the group is the perfect foil for Sorvino's insecure personality. The ace of the bunch however is a mesmerising Natalie Portman who even despite being the cast's youngest member is compelling to the point that you can understand Willy's fascination with her character Marty.

Funny, poignant, reflective and a script that paints the characters so accurately that you feel like you know them or have at least met people like them.  Look for Portman in one of her very early roles.  But be careful, she'll steal your heart.  And then you will end up going to hell, just like me and @SchumacherFTW and @CJohn

74Dymzx.jpg

• Like 7

Loving this list Baumer.  Finally had a chance to read through.  I think i've seen about half of what you have posted so far and heard of about a further 10 or so. (no surprises that croc dundee takes pride of place in my blueray cupboard :P  Damn I love that film.  still brilliant.

not going to go through all the movies you posted but there are some gems in there that is for sure... looking forward to the rest mate!

Probably still the most memorable scene from the movie...... (croc dundee)

Kid - you got a light ?

Mick - Sure kid (pulls his lighter out)

Kid (flicks a flipblade or something) gimme your wallet!

Sue - give him your wallet mick!

Mick - Why ? (smirking)

Sue - he has a knife

Mick (laughing) - That's not a knife 

Mick (pulling out a rather large wicked looking knife) now this is a knife!

:bop:

• Like 3

Beautiful Girls - Portman's second pedophile movie. :sick:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/nov/03/favourite-film-beautiful-girls

In 2007, Portman talked to this paper's Simon Hattenstone about the effect on her life of playing Marty in Beautiful Girls and the very similar Mathilda in Léon in 1994. It made for uncomfortable reading.

I'm trying to think of a sensitive way to ask about playing all these sexualised children, but fail miserably. "Were you aware that you were a paedophile's dream?" I blurt out. She nods. "Yeah!" She giggles, perhaps a little uncomfortably. "It was weird, and it dictated a lot of my choices afterwards 'cos it scared me." How did she become aware of it? "When you're a little kid you get really excited about it and you think being famous is pretty cool, and you get a fan letter and you read it, and then I'd be, like, 'Eeeeeugh!' Terrified." What did the letters say? "You can imagine. I stopped reading them obviously, but it made me really reluctant to do sexy stuff, especially when I was young."

Of Beautiful Girls, she said: "It definitely made me shy away from that kind of role. And there's a surprising preponderance of that kind of role for young girls. Sort of being fantasy objects for men, and especially this idealised purity combined with the fertility of youth, and all this in one."

Edited by TalismanRing

I understand where Portman is coming from but I never got the creepy vibe from Beautiful Girls.  It's a sweet situation and it never hints at the two characters ever really seriously considering crossing any kind of line.  And I certainly don't think Portman was ever sexualized in the film.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I understand where Portman is coming from but I never got the creepy vibe from Beautiful Girls.  It's a sweet situation and it never hints at the two characters ever really seriously considering crossing any kind of line.  And I certainly don't think Portman was ever sexualized in the film.  

yeah my take on it is that he probably has thought about it but really won't go through with it, and she's a bit naive and just likes that due to him being older he is over the stupid kid/teenage stuff.  Whereas he is seeing the opposite in that he's obviously older in life and more set  and misses that innocence that he sees in her where basically life hasn't started and the world is in front of her.

I don't think it was really about physical attraction, just more of they saw the parts they wanted in life with each other, as in she wanted to grow up fast and he kind of wants a do-over in life or at least a fresh beginning again like we have when we are young.

• Like 1

Number 44

Hero (1992)

Directed by Stephen Frears

Starring Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia, Chevy Chase, Geena Davis, Joan Cusack, Tom Arnold

Box office:  68.8M WW

Hero is a film that deals with morals and life in a comedic manner. The main protagonist, Bernard Laplante (played by Dustin Hoffman), a down-on-his-luck thief, is about to be sent to prison as a consequence for his many failed wrong-doings (credit card scams, etc). Though he may appear to be a no-good, cursing, emotionless human being, in actuality, he is a kind, sensitive soul with heroic traits residing inside of him. His countenance may suggest a weak, greedy man to the audience at first, but as the story progresses, the viewer is able to see how contrary that image is to the real "Bernie." 

One rainy day,Bernie is minding his own business, pretty much contemplating how to dodge his prison sentence, when out of nowhere, a burning plane crashes down in front of him. With no one else to rescue the trapped passengers inside, Bernie does the unexpected and saves the lives of those on board. Being one who doesn't like to be bothered much, he manages to get everyone off board (while complaining of course). Unfortunately,with all the smoke and fire around, no one gets a detailed look at the mysterious "hero" that vanishes. Not one who likes attention, Berniedoesn't mention anything until he hears there's a monetary award supplied by a news channel for the life-saver if he/she comes forward.At this point, the story takes a similar form in the tale of the boy who cried wolf. No matter how loud and repetitive he is, Bernie fails to gain recognition and acceptance as the miracle hero.

I only have positive things to say about this movie. The acting (see the scene where Bernie searches for his lost shoe), the touching moments, and funny plot makes this a strong movie in all aspects. Though underrated, I do recommend it to those who want to see a simple, thoughtful comedy with a superb cast and story.  Also, see FEARLESS with Jeff Bridges.

hero-movie-poster-print-27-x-40

• Like 4

Number 43

Brewster's Millions (1985)

Directed by Walter Hill

Starring Richard Pryor, John Candy, Jerry Orbach, Rick Moranis

Box office:  45M

Montgomery Brewster has been given the movie treatment more than once as the novel this is based upon dates back to nearly 1900. This is not cerebral stuff but good humor and laughs while ignoring reality. It is am homage to a couple of fine film comedians who are no longer with us.

Richard Pryor & John Candy did not work together enough, and this movie makes up for that loss. This film allows Pryor to do his manic over the top behavior just perfectly. It allows Candy to do his humor well too. The support cast seems to be well fitted with the stars and the show goes smoothly and funny without going too long.

Monte Brewster is a minor league pitcher for the Hackensack Bulls when the movie starts, who wins a game & promptly gets into trouble at a bar fight celebration after the game. He and Candy compliment each other well especially at the court hearing. Then they are amazed to be bailed out by a stranger who has been taking photos of Monty.

From Jersey, the stranger takes them to a law office in New York City where Monte finds out he is rich from his Uncle Rupert Horne. The catch is, does he want to be $1 million dollars richer or $300 million richer? In order to get the $300, he has to waste $30 million dollars and not have anything tangible to show for it in 30 days. From this premise, the insanity of Pryor takes over and fits perfectly. 

He arranges for the Bulls to play the Yankees, hires a huge staff including his buddy Candy, & when his staff presents him with an unexpected $10 million dollar profit which puts him back where he started, he gets a desperate idea to spend the extra millions. With 2 shady characters running for mayor, Monty runs using "Vote None of The Above" as his campaign slogan.

Brewster's Millions is funny, sweet and stars two of comedies giants.  It's directed by action maestro Walter Hill and produced by Joel Silver (Predator, Matrix, Commando) It's not a laugh a minute comedy but it will bring a smile to your face just to watch Candy and Pryor do their thing.

Brew.jpg

• Like 5

love Brewster's Millions (and Hero), I have even been using the vote for None of the Above slogan and his "political" vignettes for this year's election ;) 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Youngblood (1986)

Directed by Peter Markle

Starring:  Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Cynthia Gibb, Keanu Reeves

Gross:  14M

Plot In A Paragraph: Dean Youngblood (Rob Lowe) a 17-year-old farmhand from New York, has dreams of playing in the National Hockey League. He is granted the chance to travel to Canada to try out for the Hamilton Mustangs. At the try-outs, Youngblood displays the talent which got him "92 goals in the New York League" but also displays a lack of physical toughness that is so prized in Canadian hockey. This weakness is pounced upon by a brutish player, Carl Racki (George J. Finn), who is also trying out for the team and engages him in a fight. Youngblood quickly learns that flashiness and pure athletic ability will not be enough to be successful in this league. Despite being beat up by by Racki, the coach opts to select Youngblood for a spot on the team. He ingratiates himself to the other players and particularly Captain Derek Sutton (Patrick Swayze) and the coach's daughter Jessie (Cynthia Gibb), its not long before Racki reappears playing for a rival team. 

I don't think you need to know anything about hockey or even like the sport to enjoy this film.  It's just a lot of fun with the right amount of formula present so that the script stays true to what was popular in teen films at the time.  

Rob Lowe is good as Dean Youngblood, he is pretty enough for the "pretty boy" tag and looks in good shape. Cynthia Gibb is nothing more than eye candy and she plays that role well.Ed Lauter is a lot of fun as Coach Murray Chadwick and George J. Finn is imposing and does a good job as Carl Racki. However Patrick Swayze steals this movie (yes even away from Cynthia Gibb's wonderful assets) as Derek Sutton. He is brilliant, and a reminder of what a talent we have lost. 

Keanu Reeves had a small role as Heaver, one of Lowe and Swayze's team mates.

Trivia:  Keanu Reeves had hockey experience upon being cast, having been MVP and nicknamed "The Wall" for his goal-tending capabilities at De La Salle's college team in Toronto.Patrick Swayze had been trained as a figure skater but never played hockey, and Rob Lowe had to be taught to ice skate before filming began.

Peter Zezel and Steve Thomas (two guys I both served at the Outback Steakhouse and had drinks with twice) at the time of filming were in fact actual professional NHL players. In the film, they play for the Hamilton Mustangs and in real life they both played for the Philadelphia Flyers and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

aust_daybill_youngblood.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 75live said:

love Brewster's Millions (and Hero), I have even been using the vote for None of the Above slogan and his "political" vignettes for this year's election ;) 

That's awesome.  

I haven't seen it in years but I remember a lot about it.  

• Like 1

Number 41

The Negotiator (1998)

Directed by F. Gary Gray

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Samuel L. Jackson, David Morse, J.T. Walsh, Paul Giamatti. 

Box office:  44.4M

One of the good things about "The Negotiator" is the set up. Police hero Danny Roman (Samuel Jackson in an intense performance) is accused of murder and corruption in connection with the Police Department's disability fund. In a desperate attempt to prove his innocence, Roman holds an entire government office hostage and refuses to release any prisoners until he discovers who framed him. The rest of the film is about a standoff between Danny Roman, hauled up in a government office with four hostages, and his own police department and the FBI which assume his guilt and will stop at nothing to stop him. The Police Department also consists of some of the people who framed Roman in the first place, adding a third dimension to an already interesting plot.

Yet the best thing about "The Negotiator" is the fascinating battle of wills that takes place between two intelligent, forceful, determined men: Danny Roman (Jackson) and the negotiator Chris Sabian (Kevin Spacey) who can stand down anyone without causing casualties. It is this battle of wills, combined with wonderful dialogue delivered in bravura fashion by Jackson and Spacey (both brilliant actors), that makes this movie so fascinating and exciting to watch -- even more so than the action scenes. Perhaps the great lesson of this film, which unfortunately has not influenced other Hollywood films, is that you do not need explosions and shoot outs to create an entertaining movie. Instead all you need are two great actors and a great script that sets their dialogue on fire. Although Jackson and Spacey are, by far, the heart and soul of this movie, "The Negotiator" has some good smaller performances as well. Paul Giamatti is amusing as a con man turned secretary who, after taken hostage, goes back to his old ways to try to help Roman prove his innocence. Jackson and Giamatti share some great dialogue together. Another great performance is J.T. Walsh as Terence Niebaum who is more complex than he seems on the surface.

This is definitely a film that the younger members at this site will, imo, enjoy.  

Trivia:  The movie was originally written to star Sylvester Stallone and Kevin Spacey. Spacey was supposed to be the hostage-taker and Stallone playing opposite him. When Stallone turned down the part, Spacey decided he wanted the other part and his original part was recast to Samuel L. Jackson.

The wife of Danny Roman's partner, Nate Roenick, mentions their son, Jeremy. Jeremy Roenick was a hockey player in the Chicago Blackhawks.

The-Negotiator-Movie-Font.jpg

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, 75live said:

I love Brewster's Millions too. It's one of those movies that I watch it every time it's on TV. Also, I think Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are very funny together. Any of their movies are very funny. Especially, "Stir Crazy" and "See No Evil, Hear No Evil".

• Like 1