baumer

Baumer's Top 100 films you have probably heard of but more than likely haven't seen. #1: Cute Clever Mischievous, but don't feed them after midnight!

Number 61

A Simple Plan (1998)

Directed by Sam Raimi

Starring:  Bill Paxton, Bridgette Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton

Box office:  16.3M

A Simple Plan is a film that had immense critical acclaim yet was in limited release. I was eagerly looking forward to this films release seeing as I am a huge Bill Paxton fan, but why wasn't this film in wide release? I was living in Toronto at the time and to find this film I had to go downtown to one very small art house theater. It wasn't at any of the bigger Silver City's. And that is a disappointment. Because this film is amazing. In a way ( I can't believe I'm saying this ) this film reminds me a bit of Star Wars. Only in the sense that I think there is enough intrigue and well developed characters that you could have made a trilogy and prequels out of this. Jacob could have a whole movie made about him. The characters are that rich.

The film starts off with two brothers named Hank and Jacob ( Paxton and Thorton ) and a friend named Lou( Brent Briscoe ) chasing their dog into the forest. As they get deep into the woods, they stumble onto a downed plane. It is here they find the money, the buried treasure to the tune of about 4 million dollars. At first they are talking about how rich they are and what they are going to do with the money. But it is then that Hank says that maybe they should wait a while to see if anyone comes looking for the money before they start to spend it. After all, the plane is snow covered so maybe it has been here for a while so by the end of the winter if no one comes for it, they will keep it. The other two are adamantly against that logic. " This is the American dream, " one of them says. " You work for the American dream, you don't steal it." Hank replies. Then of course all hell is about to break loose.

Suddenly people that lead their lives without much money are consumed with greed and desperation. Hank's wife Sarah, in a great performance by Bridget Fonda, says that she is tired of having to eat dessert at home when they go out for dinner. She wants to provide a nest egg for their soon to be child. Lou owes money to everybody and wants his share of the money now. Jacob wants to fix up his dads farm. The insatiable need for money is driving everyone apart. It is from here that the plot thickens and it is like the layers of an onion. Every time you peel one layer back, there is another layer to deal with, until there is nothing left. And then what happens?

This film works because it has a terrific story but it also works because of the people involved with it. I will first mention Raimi, the man responsible for directing this tangled web. He masterfully strokes every shot perfectly. He gets the feel for a small, cold winter town and he actually makes you shiver inspite of yourself. If anyone is a true horror fan they would have known that Raimi had a ( hidden ) genius. His Evil Dead films ( especially the first one ) really showed that he could direct a tight film and he did a masterful job of scaring you. And that is not easy. There are not many truly scary films out there and Evil Dead is one of them. Here he finally gets his due.

The second person I want to mention is the cinematographer. This is Alar Kivilo's first real foray into film. He has worked mostly in TV and for this to be as well photographed as it is, is a true credit to his ability. Filming in the snow adds many challenges to this aspect of film and he conquers it beautifully. There is one scene where there are a few men heading into the woods to find the plane and all we see is their footprints. This scene reminded me of a similar one in Lawrence Of Arabia. It is executed perfectly and it conveys the feeling of what the scene is supposed to represent.

As for the actors involved, as I said, I am a huge Paxton fan, just as anyone is if you like his portrayal of Chet and Hudson. And he is very good in this film. He has to play the level headed one of everyone involved and he comes across as the torn voice of reason here. But as much as I thought he was excellent in this flick, I have to say that Billy Bob Thorton blew me away. You can feel his pain. You can sense his split loyalty--friendship and brotherhood. Everything that we are supposed to see in him, we do. He really should have won a best supporting actor this year but he had the deck stacked against him seeing that he already has a statue and James Coburn, the veteran that he is, has none. Go figure. Too many politics in the academy, but anyway....

This film examines so many human issues and it asks us to make our own decisions along the way. And the sad reality is maybe we wouldn't make some of the same decisions, but maybe we would have made worse ones as well. It is a tough movie to examine, and that is what ultimately makes it brilliant.

Trivia:  Sam Raimi learned some techniques about shooting in the heavy snow from the Coen brothers, friends of his who had been responsible for Fargo (1996), which Billy Bob Thornton appears in the TV spin-off of.

Between 1994 and 1996, Ben Stiller was set to direct this film with Nicolas Cage to star. When Cage's salary began to affect the film's overall budget, Stiller walked away. The reins were then given over to John Dahl who later left the project to be replaced by director John Boorman. Meanwhile, Emma Thompson was considering the part of Sarah Mitchell but, after a while, declined. Finally, Thomas signed on and Raimi replaced Boorman and production was set to go... three years after the rights were sold to Mike Nichols for a reported $250,000 (U.S.) "against" $750,000.

simple_plan.jpg

• Like 7

Fuck yeah Suspiria and Cook/Thief/Wife/Lover. The latter's ending is one of the very few (can count them on one hand) movie moments where I actually started involuntarily shaking from excitement because it was so glorious. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Fuck yeah Suspiria and Cook/Thief/Wife/Lover. The latter's ending is one of the very few (can count them on one hand) movie moments where I actually started involuntarily shaking from excitement because it was so glorious. 

IKR!!!!

That ending took my breath away.  And isn't Helen Mirren gorgeous?

• Like 1

Number 60

Weekend at Bernies (1989)

Directed by Ted Kotcheff

Starring Andrew MCCarthy, Jonathan Silverman, Ted Kiser

Box office:  30M

Weekend at Bernies has one of the greatest performances of all time and the character isn't even alive.  Hilarious, totally off the wall black comedy about two buddies (Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman) whose boss, Bernie, has been bumped off by gangsters but whose death goes unrecognized the entire weekend by his self-centered beach friends. Utterly tasteless, goofy, ridiculous, wonderfully funny movie with loads of quirky characters. Andrew McCarthy at his most charmingly loopy and Jonathan Silverman terrific as his straight arrow buddy. Great turn by Terry Kiser as Bernie, who will not go away or play dead. Ridiculous situations that are just plain fun to watch. A movie to remember with delight and to enjoy at a repeat viewing.  

Weekend_at_Bernies.jpg

• Like 7

This is a very cool list. It's a great point of reference for movie viewing at home.

Also, it just shows how much Hollywood has changed over the last 20-30 years.  It's either a big budget blockbuster, animated movie or an Oscar bait movie in today's environment. Nothing in the middle really exists outside of a occasional movie here and there.  Don't get me wrong, I love my comic book movies and some of the prestige flicks but it's generally a very boring time for moviegoers. 

Hopefully Netflix or another streaming service help to fill the void of the mid-budget movies. I think it's really missed.

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 2

Weekend at Bernie's was such a favorite of mine for a while.  There are even parts of the second one I like, but the first one is hilarious

• Like 1

Just now, ProtoMan said:

This is a very cool list. It's a great point of reference for movie viewing at home.

Also, it just shows how much Hollywood has changed over the last 20-30 years.  I think a lot of these movie would never get made in today's environment. It's either a big budget blockbuster, animated movie or an Oscar bait movie. Nothing in the middle really exists outside of a occasional movie here and there.  Don't get me wrong, I love my comic book movies and some of the prestige flicks but it's generally a very boring time for moviegoers. 

Hopefully Netflix or another streaming service help to fill the void of the mid-budget movies. I think it's really missed.

The reason there are no middle movies anymore is because of piracy, imo.  I don't even think a movie like a Few Good Men gets made today.

• Like 2

Battle Royale

A Simple Plan

These 2 made it in my must-see list immediately. I was holding off on Battle Royale because I didn't enjoy Hunger Games all that much, but this seems much better.

Thanks Baumer!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

Battle Royale

A Simple Plan

These 2 made it in my must-see list immediately. I was holding off on Battle Royale because I didn't enjoy Hunger Games all that much, but this seems much better.

Thanks Baumer!

it's much better than the Hunger Games which I didn't like all that much either

• Like 1

Number 59

Rock of Ages (2012)

Director:  Adam Shankman

Starring: Julliane Hough, Alec Baldwin, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Cruise, Diego Boneta, Malin Ackerman, Bryan Cranston, Russel Brand, Kevin Nash

Box office:  59.4M WW

Okay, I might be the only person in the world who FUCKING LOVES this movie but I do.  There is no shame.  I love the music, the era it covers, the humour and I love love love Tom Cruise in this.  This is based on the hit broadway show of the same name.  I guess perhaps you had to grow up in the 80's to fully appreciate this and that's too bad because there is so much to like about the film.  Tom Cruise plays Stacie Jaxx, a caricature of every coked out, drunk super star rock star you have ever read about.  He is constantly passed out, has sex with several women at the same time and he exudes a furious sexuality that women literally faint around him.  But put him on stage and he rocks the joint like nobodies business.  Julianne Hough is the small town girl coming to Hollywood with big dreams.  She gets a job at the bar where Stacie Jaxx got famous.  It's run by Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand.  Catherine Zeta Jones wants to prevent Jaxx from ever performing again because he stands for everything her and her church group doesn't.  

Rock of Ages is so much fun that it brings a smile to my face just thinking about individual scenes.  One of the funniest lines I've ever heard is when Julliane Hough has hit rock bottom and confesses to her former boyfriend that she is now a stripper.

"I'm a stripper."

Drew responds: "I'm in a boy band"

Sherrie looks at him and grimaces, "You win."

Tom Cruise took voice lessons for four and half months to seem at least somewhat believable and he also worked out and went on a very specific diet to get the look of a rock star.  His V might get certain New Zealand film critics all hot and bothered.  

This is maybe the most fun I've had at the theater in the last decade.  

Trivia:  Cruise based his character on Jim Morrison and Axl Rose

Taylor Swift was considered for the role of Sherrie, but Hough ultimately got the role.

3d04e6f0addbc70a6a9e7e76b1b49c4b.jpg  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Number 59

Rock of Ages (2012)

Director:  Adam Shankman

Starring: Julliane Hough, Alec Baldwin, Paul Giamatti, Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Cruise, Diego Boneta, Malin Ackerman, Bryan Cranston, Russel Brand, Kevin Nash

Box office:  59.4M WW

Okay, I might be the only person in the world who FUCKING LOVES this movie but I do.  There is no shame.  I love the music, the era it covers, the humour and I love love love Tom Cruise in this.  This is based on the hit broadway show of the same name.  I guess perhaps you had to grow up in the 80's to fully appreciate this and that's too bad because there is so much to like about the film.  Tom Cruise plays Stacie Jaxx, a caricature of every coked out, drunk super star rock star you have ever read about.  He is constantly passed out, has sex with several women at the same time and he exudes a furious sexuality that women literally faint around him.  But put him on stage and he rocks the joint like nobodies business.  Julianne Hough is the small town girl coming to Hollywood with big dreams.  She gets a job at the bar where Stacie Jaxx got famous.  It's run by Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand.  Catherine Zeta Jones wants to prevent Jaxx from ever performing again because he stands for everything her and her church group doesn't.  

Rock of Ages is so much fun that it brings a smile to my face just thinking about individual scenes.  One of the funniest lines I've ever heard is when Julliane Hough has hit rock bottom and confesses to her former boyfriend that she is now a stripper.

"I'm a stripper."

Drew responds: "I'm in a boy band"

Sherrie looks at him and grimaces, "You win."

Tom Cruise took voice lessons for four and half months to seem at least somewhat believable and he also worked out and went on a very specific diet to get the look of a rock star.  His V might get certain New Zealand film critics all hot and bothered.  

This is maybe the most fun I've had at the theater in the last decade.  

Trivia:  Cruise based his character on Jim Morrison and Axl Rose

Taylor Swift was considered for the role of Sherrie, but Hough ultimately got the role.

3d04e6f0addbc70a6a9e7e76b1b49c4b.jpg  

I'll admit, this movie is such a laugh. Still remember my ex getting horrified in the cinema when they covered "I Love Rock and Roll" :lol:

• Like 2

I've seen Rock of Ages and didn't like it.  It should have been such a slam dunk for me to like too with growing up with the music and that time period, but it just didn't work at all for me.

• Like 1

I can't figure it out 75.  There are so many people who feel exactly the same way you do.  It's not often you and I disagree so diametrically on a film.  

I've listened to the Broadway soundtrack for Rock of Ages (We're Not Gonna Take It and Here I Go Again are the highlights for me), but I haven't seen the stage show nor the movie. What do you think is the best musical number in the movie, B?

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I've listened to the Broadway soundtrack for Rock of Ages (We're Not Gonna Take It and Here I Go Again are the highlights for me), but I haven't seen the stage show nor the movie. What do you think is the best musical number in the movie, B?

What a question.  I know you want one, but there's about 10 that I just love.

There's a scene where Sherrie and Drew cover Juke Box Heroes and at the same time, Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand cover I Love Rock and Roll.  They edit it together and it's terrific.  Then there's Cruise doing Wanted Dead or Alive, also awesome.  And of course the final song where Drew, Sherrie and Jaxx do Don't Stop Believing is goose bump inducing for me. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

I can't figure it out 75.  There are so many people who feel exactly the same way you do.  It's not often you and I disagree so diametrically on a film.  

Yeah it's rare we don't agree, but this is one of those times. :P 

I think for me, I didn't like or care for most of the actors or characters and it seemed like bad karaoke.  Not saying they were all bad singers or anything, but still didn't work for me.

I may actually like the broadway show if I saw it live, but yeah the movie just didn't do anything for me.