baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

26 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I remember some article that year that sorta dissected the template that Gladiator (Best Actor) and Erin Brockovich (Best Actress) embodied: the way in which Hollywood typically portrays men and women> Man is a saintly macho man who's been wronged and looks for revenge using his power, smarts, and mental resources, and woman is a hot, sexy crusader who uses her looks to help her crusade. 

I did not agree with a lot of what the article said, but it was still a thought-provoking read...

I wish I could find it.

Erin Brockovich also used her intelligence, people skills and instincts. The boobs helped, though.

28 minutes ago, James said:

If it lands in that range I will truly be disappointed. It is blowing Deadpool out of the water on all fronts right now, it has a PG-13 rating and 3D. I seriously can't imagine it opening that low. 

Guardians of the Galaxy was PG-13 and had 3D and Deadpool still beat that. Why would it be hard to believe Suicide Squad wouldn't beat Deadpool? What does that mean that Suicide Squad is blowing Deadpool out of the water on all fronts? How so? And why would 100M seem low?

Edited by Jay Beezy

One thing that Suicide Squad doesn't have that Deadpool did is a lack of competition given that it's opening near the end of the summer season, and it's much easier to stand out in February than it is in summer (where there's a new action spectacle opening every week). On the other hand, a high portion of this summer's action spectacles were largely rejected by audiences, so that kinda evens things out.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One thing that Suicide Squad doesn't have that Deadpool did is a lack of competition given that it's opening near the end of the summer season, and it's much easier to stand out in February than it is in summer (where there's a new action spectacle opening every week). On the other hand, a high portion of this summer's action spectacles were largely rejected by audiences, so that kinda evens things out.

Suicide Squad has no competition until Mag 7. Pete's Dragon will coexist with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Keep in mind, even with an R rating, Deadpool made 150 m in 4 days. Suicide Squade will have an even wider audience.

Just because Suicide Squad *can* get a wider audience doesn't mean it will.

Remember original predictions for Deadpool were in the 60M range? There were some people thinking the R-rating would limit its BO potential.

It's funny how people are using Deadpool's R-rating and lack of 3D as a barometer to determine how a potential blockbuster PG-13 3D movie will fare.

• Like 1

Paramount really screwed up with the STB marketing and that is being reflected in the OD and OW numbers. They never managed to make this into a major event not to be missed. 23M means about a 58-60M OW and around 160-175M finish domestic depending on legs with Bourne targeting the same audience.

Great start for Lights Out, horrible start for Ice Age. Ghostbusters won't be having a 3x judging by the drop (biggest for a Feig-McCarthy movie), sequel prospects now firmly in the hands of OS audiences. Pets might do even better this weekend than anyone predicted.

A fine albeit entirely expected start for Star Trek Beyond - taking my old man (who grew up with TOS and loved the '09 redo) sometime next week. This summer has been generally so shitty, some here (myself included) kinda wondered if it could surprise. Contrary to what the Internet says, Into Darkness was well-liked by the general public (best legs of any blockbuster its summer of release).

But the truth is it's all about worldwide. Don't care what they claim aloud if this does $500M, then Trek 4 will definitely happen.

Just now, grim22 said:

Paramount really screwed up with the STB marketing and that is being reflected in the OD and OW numbers. They never managed to make this into a major event not to be missed. 23M means about a 58-60M OW and around 160-175M finish domestic depending on legs with Bourne targeting the same audience.

Great start for Lights Out, horrible start for Ice Age. Ghostbusters won't be having a 3x judging by the drop (biggest for a Feig-McCarthy movie), sequel prospects now firmly in the hands of OS audiences. Pets might do even better this weekend than anyone predicted.

We'll be saying the same thing with Bourne next weekend only 10M+ worse.

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

A fine albeit entirely expected start for Star Trek Beyond - taking my old man (who grew up with TOS and loved the '09 redo) sometime next week. This summer has been generally so shitty, some here (myself included) kinda wondered if it could surprise. Contrary to what the Internet says, Into Darkness was well-liked by the general public (best legs of any blockbuster its summer of release).

But the truth is it's all about worldwide. Don't care what they claim aloud if this does $500M, then Trek 4 will definitely happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount fast tracks it to 2018, they need money.

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Guardians of the Galaxy was PG-13 and had 3D and Deadpool still beat that. Why would it be hard to believe Suicide Squad wouldn't beat Deadpool? What does that mean that Suicide Squad is blowing Deadpool out of the water on all fronts? How so? And why would 100M seem low?

It means that social media wise (which is pretty much the only thing WE can track), where Deadpool was a phenomenon, SS is making way bigger numbers (we talk here FB, Twitter, YT+FB views for trailers, promos). In fact, SS is outpacing any movie ever released on social media. It's total promo materials views are higher than any other movie, and that is before it even got released. BO.com just made a Twitter comparison for this past week and it is so far ahead of any comparable title (Deadpool, Civil War, Ultron) it is ridiculous. Of course, social media is dominated by the younger demo, but even so, for this to defeat established franchises like Avengers or Star Wars, while not being a sequel, is amazing. That is why it seems to me that 100m looks like a joke. 

As for the GotG comparison... well, there's really no comparison. It's numbers look pretty pathetic compared to the SS awareness/hype.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It did strike me as weird how little Paramount played up the 50 year anniversary. Nothing of the sort to drive up any interest.

That is the single biggest missed opportunity in the marketing. Seeing Skyfall reap 50th anniversary benefits didn't teach them anything.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

That is the single biggest missed opportunity in the marketing. Seeing Skyfall reap 50th anniversary benefits didn't teach them anything.

At least we got Rihanna!

:sadben: