grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

Yo homies, Ghostbusters didn't just "underperform", it lost a lot of money... a lot.  At the absolute minimum it needed 400m worldwide to break even if we're using the widely used 2-2.5x budget + marketing rule.  The movie made a little over half of that.  Half, folks.  Without all the controversy and politics surrounding this movie it already would've been forgotten as just yet another shitty flop attempt at rebooting/remaking a successful franchise or film by "creatively bankrupt Hollywood".

I know pundits and media hyped this movie up as being a beginning for better roles for women in Hollywood movies and ended up a crushing disappointment as being Adam Sandler-lite schlock, but come on, enough with the magical thinking already.  Its time to move on friends.  Maybe Ocean's Eight will be good despite Rihanna's acting chops.

You need to stop acting like this movie got a reception similar to Fantastic Four '15. It didn't. Especially when I'm sure you didn't even see it (and if you're gonna push the "everyone was afraid to be labeled a misogynist" angle, then the joke's on you).

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You need to stop acting like this movie got a reception similar to Fantastic Four '15. It didn't. Especially when I'm sure you didn't even see it (and if you're gonna push the "everyone was afraid to be labeled a misogynist" angle, then the joke's on you).

Image result for living in a bubble

52 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Without all the controversy and politics surrounding this movie it already would've been forgotten as just yet another shitty flop attempt at rebooting/remaking a successful franchise or film by "creatively bankrupt Hollywood".

This is the undeniable truth. All of you know this to be true.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Dropped 50% every single weekend. Terrible for a comedy. So they can't use "good reaction from audiences" as a reason for making a sequel 

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Dropped 50% every single weekend. Terrible for a comedy. So they can't use "good reaction from audiences" as a reason for making a sequel 

Newsflash again: this has not been a good year for movies in terms of staying power unless you're Disney or Bad Moms.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Yeah, WOM was not good. It was decent/ok.

Honestly, looking up the multipliers this year, the only movies that made $50M+ and made 3x their openings are the Disney juggernauts, Pets, Panda 3, Bad Moms, Central Intelligence, Miracles from Heaven, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, and The Shallows. Rough year for longevity.

• Like 1

We're still arguing about Ghostbusters? :lol:

While I'll admit that the film came in below my financial expectations, it's far from an out-and-out disaster. It's going to lose money, yes, but it's far removed from the catastrophic performances of numerous enormously-budgeted failures from the last several years. What's more, its legs haven't been great, but summer weekdays have weighed out the big weekend drops to some extent; it's going to finish around a 2.75 multiplier, which - while not particularly strong - is better than quite a few other high profile films have fared this year.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Newsflash again: this has not been a good year for movies in terms of staying power unless you're Disney or Bad Moms.

Not true. Plenty of movies this year have had good legs. Only the comic book movies have been massively frontloaded with the exception of Deadpool

A comedy should have good legs if  people

Are enjoying it. This year we had Central Intelligence and Bad Moms doing that while Ghostbusters did not. Ghostbusters is a failure. It made no money and had a poor reception from audiences and wil never get a sequel  

• Like 2

To be fair, Ghostbusters was positioned as a major tentpole release, whereas Central Intelligence and Bad Moms both played second fiddle to much larger releases. Whereas those other two films were deliberately scheduled as counter-programming, I don't doubt that Sony expected an authoritative #1 opening from Ghostbusters all the way up until Secret Life of Pets broke out. Irrespective of the genre, it makes sense that it wouldn't have the staying power of either of those other two films.

That said, I'm still really surprised that Central Intelligence will end up narrowly edging out Ghostbusters domestically. I don't know what it was about that movie (it lost me after the first act), but it clearly connected with audiences.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

He didn't say it was as bad as Fant4stic. that is a feat not easy to pull off. I haven't seen the movie personally, it looked pretty meh to me and most of my trusted youtube reviewers didn't like it. I'm not really a very big GB fan to begin with though. and it was certainly a failure BO. though not as bad of one as I thought it would.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Again you would not be arguing that this was not a flop if it had a male cast and the producers didn't try to promote it as some sort of Feminist vanguard movie at war with the terrible internet trolls and the "patriarchy."

If that was not so it would be universally recognized as a flop and nobody would bother defending it. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

I'm sorry and I am honestly not trying to troll here, I'm just trying to be realistic. It scored like Star Trek Beyond and nobody is trying to argue that was not a failure.

Just now, Kathemy said:

Again you would not be arguing that this was not a flop if it had a male cast and the producers didn't try to promote it as some sort of Feminist vanguard movie at war with the terrible internet trolls and the "patriarchy."

If that was not so it would be universally recognized as a flop and nobody would bother defending it. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

I'm sorry and I am honestly not trying to troll here, I'm just trying to be realistic. It scored like Star Trek Beyond and nobody is trying to argue that was not a failure.

Both Ghostbusters and Star Trek were underperformers. Not flops. A flop is Ben-Hur.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kathemy said:

Er, no... it's not a flop. My goodness. I don't care who made it or who was in it.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really.

The Revenant, Deadpool (for an R rated comix book movie the legs were great, probably will be better than Ghostbusters), Zootopia, The Jungle Book, Dory, Central Intelligence, Shallows, The Legend of Tarzan (a huge surprise), Bad Moms and even movies like Now You See Me 2. Even Jason Bourne had far superior holds to Ghostbusters in its third and fourth weekends

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

The Revenant, Deadpool (for an R rated comix book movie the legs were great, probably will be better than Ghostbusters), Zootopia, The Jungle Book, Dory, Central Intelligence, Shallows, The Legend of Tarzan (a huge surprise), Bad Moms and even movies like Now You See Me 2. Even Jason Bourne had far superior holds to Ghostbusters in its third and fourth weekends

Read my post again. Getting a 3x multiplier is usually what is considered good legs.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Read my post again. Getting a 3x multiplier is usually what is considered good legs.

And if Ghostbusters was well liked it would have done that since it is a comedy and should be audience friendly. Instead it had over 50% drops in every week of release. Not good in any shape or form 

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, looking up the multipliers this year, the only movies that made $50M+ and made 3x their openings are the Disney juggernauts, Pets, Panda 3, Bad Moms, Central Intelligence, Miracles from Heaven, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, and The Shallows. Rough year for longevity.

Comedies are actually expected to have much better legs than action movies. Ghostbusters did not behave like a comedy at all.

• Like 1