Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

39 minutes ago, RichWS said:

All of these superhero movies are terrible. BvS was oppressively bad. Civil War was fucking boring. Didn't bother with the 23rd X-Men movie. Yeah, I'm sure Suicide Squad is great fun. These goddamn movies suck all the fun out of posting on this forum. Five minutes from now, we're guaranteed a RT debate or whatever the fuck. 

Personally, I thought the critics were too kind to Batman v Superman. They didn't kick that movie in its ass hard enough. Deadpool was great, Civil War was the best movie Marvel Studios has done yet. Apocalypse was mediocre. I streamed Suicide Squad over the weekend and I still feel like demanding my money back.

Edited by Haley Ross
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Haley Ross said:

Personally, I thought the critics were too kind to Batman v Superman. They didn't kick that movie in its ass hard enough. Deadpool was great, Civil War was the best movie Marvel Studios has done yet. Apocalypse was mediocre. I streamed Suicide Squad over the weekend and I still feel like demanding my money back.

Me with Fant4stic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

PIRACY!!! Let the excuse begin. 

Hey guys, reading comics is a lot of fun. Watching CBMs is a ton of fun too. Why do discussions about comic-related material feel like arguing holy wars, while at the dentist, in midst of World War I trench warfare? Does trolling another nerd on the internet make your life feel so much better? Go to the gym, play some sports, find your soulmate...just do something to release some endorphins and let your inner caveperson out.

If some form of entertainment bothers you so much, go find something else. I do not understand this zeal behind torturing yourself and others.

This is a box office forum, and if you drop all the silly comic-book-turf-war bullshit, maybe you can observe something really cool instead. As it stands, the two biggest CBM franchises are very successful in terms of box office. Other than animated talking animals, it's the best money-making type of film. If you're here, wanting to learn about box-office trends, comparisons, and predictions, then get your head out of your asses and just listen to each other without some aggressive agenda. Throw away the insecurities. I know the movie industry has really begun to target the 10 year-old in all of us, but we don't need to reflect our 10 year-old spirit back at the analysis of the industry.

I had a very difficult time suppressing my inner troll to write the above, so do yourselves a favor, and chill. 

P.S. Kubo and Wardogs look awesome!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Things have not changed.

"It has toxic word of mouth and it cost a billion dollars, unlike Marvel tentpoles, which usually cost 80 million. Flop! DCEU is fucked!"

Mix and spread over 30 pages.

Yawn.

Rinse and repeat next year too. Just accept it. On the bright side, at least with all the criticism, maybe the movies will be changed for the better? With each new movie, there are new criticisms, so provided each one is dealt with, the approach favors perfection. Perfection by nitpicking!

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Not from me, I've given up on much of that discussion. As much as I love comics,  I'm not as excited for the actual movies as I once was. I'm more excited for Rogue One and Skull Island then anything coming out of Marvel/DC.   And of course Fast 8. 

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Deadpool 2, and Doctor Strange are the only comic book movies that I have any excitement for.

• Like 1

I find it ironic that the only people claiming this thing has toxic WOM are actually DC fans who are painting an enemy that doesn't even exist.

We have someone predicting 70% drops for 6 weeks straight because they claim that's what people are saying. Then we have people who just come to the thread to claim that folks are saying this has toxic WOM. It's the same people in every single thread. Trying to paint a reality that's not even there.

In reality folks are saying the second weekend drop is okay. Not great but not terrible either and are predicting a third weekend drop in the 50-60% range which is perfectly reasonable considering where it fell for its second weekend. 

This painting of a non-existent enemy by DC fans is getting quite tiresome. Everyone is out to get their beloved DECU from the critics, to the media, to the Marvel loonies and to the people on this forum who could give two fucks but are just analyzing the box office. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Deadpool 2, and Doctor Strange are the only comic book movies that I have any excitement for.

With the success of Deadpool and Sausage Party, I can't wait for a rated X CBM. I want to see some Insexts movie:

Spoiler

372008._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Try google image Insexts. Some really nice artwork...

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

With the success of Deadpool and Sausage Party, I can't wait for a rated X CBM. I want to see some Insexts movie:

Hide contents

372008._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Try google image Insexts. Some really nice artwork...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

I find it ironic that the only people claiming this thing has toxic WOM are actually DC fans who are painting an enemy that doesn't even exist.

We have someone predicting 70% drops for 6 weeks straight because they claim that's what people are saying. Then we have people who just come to the thread to claim that folks are saying this has toxic WOM. It's the same people in every single thread. Trying to paint a reality that's not even there.

In reality folks are saying the second weekend drop is okay. Not great but not terrible either and are predicting a third weekend drop in the 50-60% range which is perfectly reasonable considering where it fell for its second weekend. 

This painting of a non-existent enemy by DC fans is getting quite tiresome. Everyone is out to get their beloved DECU from the critics, to the media, to the Marvel loonies and to the people on this forum who could give two fucks but are just analyzing the box office. 

I think you have potential to make peace with them. Sometimes its tough to reason with people, but some kind words can probably help even the most irrational. I'd edit some of the above bolded, though. I'm not too sure a fan base that sees enemies everywhere will take kindly to being called delusional and tiresome--they'd probably think its an attack.

14 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Did you google image it? I think shape-changing lesbian insect demons could really catch on!

Haha yes and now my mind is blown. After Deadpool and Sausage Party, I see no reason why it wouldn't catch on! Especially with the fandoms that are around now. 

36 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Is that good, bad or meh for the Skwad? I'm out of the loop. Fill me in. 

67% is a pretty drastic drop, and definitely not a good sign. The question is whether it's a bad sign. I'm not sure you can use it to predict the course of the movie yet. 

Take the Saturday and Sunday drops for example. Those were 55% and 57% respectively. Jason Bourne, with a great third weekend hold, had a similar 54% and 60% 2nd weekend Sat and Sun drops. Of course JB did have to contend with SS on its second weekend, but it still had a pretty good hold this weekend despite even more competition. One could theorize the front-loaded nature of these movies is the reason for the big drops, or one could credit competition. Either way, that'd mean some hope that Suicide Squad does not continue such high percentage drops. The 67% is much influenced by the free-ticket Friday, so a 2nd vs 3rd weekend comparison dodges that factor.

Anyway, I think the take-away message is simply the movie still made a lot of money, and the following weekdays and 3rd weekend might be a better predictor than comparing 2nd vs 1st weekend for a movie that had multiple trailers exceeding 65 million views. After all, I believe the low projections for the movie has it coming up around 290m + and the high projection still has it breaking 300m. In other words, same as what everybody basically predicted after last weekend. Yeah, it takes a 142 page thread to come full circle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichWS said:

All of these superhero movies are terrible. BvS was oppressively bad. Civil War was fucking boring. Didn't bother with the 23rd X-Men movie. Yeah, I'm sure Suicide Squad is great fun. These goddamn movies suck all the fun out of posting on this forum. Five minutes from now, we're guaranteed a RT debate or whatever the fuck. 

Boooooooooo

• Like 3