Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I get the counter argument, the 3 DCEU films have made a boatload OW & that's great! But if the goal was to compete with Disney/Marvel then they are failing miserably by what is happening after OWs. They are setting up for diminishing returns in future installments when we know costs generally increase/margins do not as you go deeper in franchises. 

Yes, exactly. I don't know why it's so hard to acknowledge that, on the one hand, WB/DC is struggling with their CU because each film has to essentially re-succeed, which doesn't bode well for sequels or big-team ups... or on the other hand, that their marketing team (and inherent interest in the characters) means each of these movies is still successful in their own right. Not successful as they could have been, of course, but it's not like they're hemorrhaging money.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The circumstances couldn't possibly be that those one with bad holds just aren't as well liked? I mean I love several of the X-men movies, but I'll admit that they've always had a hard time getting good WOM from the GA. Even when they're great films, they seem to just attract their own fanbase and not many else. So yeah, you could probably say DOFP just had mediocre WOM among the casual GA. Fantastic WOM form the core fans, but that's different. 

Doesn't mean WOM is bad, just could mean there was always a large population that was never going to be interested. For reason such as, takes too much to catch up. Or I don't like superhero films. Or I don't have time to see this movie but I've heard good things about it. But the majority of those who saw it could have liked it quite a bit. 

At some point, I think all superhero films are gonna fall into this pattern with varying ranges. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I get the counter argument, the 3 DCEU films have made a boatload OW & that's great! But if the goal was to compete with Disney/Marvel then they are failing miserably by what is happening after OWs. They are setting up for diminishing returns in future installments when we know costs generally increase/margins do not as you go deeper in franchises. 

Three movies and three records shows diminishing returns in the form of breaking records? By now, everybody should hate Snyder. Look at the Youtube views for his next DCEU film. The trailers on WB and MovieClips on Youtube exceed 40m+ with a combined 500k likes vs 20k dislikes. 

Also, what's wrong with the goal of just making a movie that both people like and makes money? Do you agree that people actually do like these films? Do you agree that they make money? Also, in comparison, every studio would love to have this franchise. If WB were to say, hey, we'll trade the DCEU, but you have to allow them to run the same way as they are now and no changes, what studio would say hell no?

Edited by UrosepsisFace

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

We're so close to rankings...

might as well kick it off. my top five lumets

1. 12 angry men

2. fail safe

3. dog day afternoon

4. before the devil knows you're dead

5. Q&A

come at me serpico fanboys

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

might as well kick it off. my top five lumets

1. 12 angry men

2. fail safe

3. dog day afternoon

4. before the devil knows you're dead

5. Q&A

come at me serpico fanboys

You are gonna deny a whole nation of NETWORK fans?

• Like 3