Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

BAD MOMS OD (9.5) was 4.75x the previews (2).

SP OD (13) is 4x the previews (3.25).

If a similar amount of front-loading extends through the weekend then SP would be looking 25-30M opposed to 30-35M.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

SS:

Aug 12: 40M (14M weekdays, 233.1M Total)

Aug 19: 18M (6M weekdays, 257.1M Total)

Aug 26: 9M (3M weekdays, 269.1M Total)

Sep 2: 5.4M (2.5M weekdays, 277M Total)

Sep 9: 2.7M (1.3M weekdays, 281M Total)

Sep 16: 1.2M (600k weekdays, 282.8M Total)

Final Total: 287M (2.15x)

300M is dead

Not even sure 2X is possible at this point. It's second weekend drop is looking to be HUGE!!

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

You're completely right about this. Agreed.

Why would it help Blu-ray sales a lot? Studios aren't in the habit of putting in-progress versions out, especially into an environment where it's only going to invite second-guessing. The only times it's happened (in this sort of situation), is with veteran directors with really good relationships with their studio, where they accepted full responsibility for the theatrical cut and the extended version was floated as an interesting addition. (I'm thinking primarily of Cameron with THE ABYSS and Ridley Scott with KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.) Most of the time, you end up with something like Lynch's DUNE (or maybe Fincher's ALIEN 3) -- critically reviled, but the theatrical cut is what you get (except when the studio throws together something entirely different without the filmmaker's approval).

The would-be "extended editions" that are more common these days were planned early on -- at least relatively early in post-production -- when the creative team realized their preferred version would just run too long. PJ's made a habit of doing these, and Snyder's BVS falls into that category too. But that's not the case here.

I see what you are saying but I guess we'll see. I'm pretty sure it did help the sales of BVS and that version is way more loved.

But yeah it was planned out early. But the difference is this supposedly screened so it can't be that far from being finished either. That's why I think it's at least a possibility.

Jared Leto would love it to get out there and a lot of people would pay to see more scenes of The Joker. A lot of friends of mine went to the movie to specifically see him.

It might confuse things but no more so then Batman V Superman already has. Many who have seen that are forgetting the theatrical edition exists.

Could be a similar case with Suicide Squad if it starts to drop hard. WB announces The Joker edition, cuts a new trailer, everyone gets excited again. Seems like a no brainer, what do we have to lose? situation if the cut doesn't require that much work.

I'm sure it's not 100% done but people who saw it said it was a different movie. The rumors go that WB was working on it's own cut meaning that this one was already complete enough to show test audiences.

Edited by somebody85

18 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I was just thinking that about BVS weekdays (they seemed a lot worse) but you can't really compare them because people were I believe in school then?

Yes lack of summer holidays is why BVS weekdays were worse. But my point of comparing is that because summer is inflating SS weekdays a lot, matching the weekend drop means it's having better legs than BVS.

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

...the difference is this supposedly screened so it can't be that far from being finished either. That's why I think it's at least a possibility.

The problem isn't that it would be hard to finish. The problem is that there's no upside for WB. If people don't like the new cut, there's more press about how much of their process is shit. If people do like the new cut, there's more press about how stupid they were in the first place. Lose lose. The few hundred thousand they might gross from the extra sales isn't worth it.

Interesting audience reaction to SP tonight. Lots of laughs, but also lots of disturbed silence from different parts of the theater. Its a great movie, but I'm fearful that its going to be too far out of the comfort zone for too many people to really break out.

Just realized that Rogue One is going to Suicide Squad DONE right.

Outlaws joined together to accomplish mission
Female that is posed to break out
Joker = Vader to tease the audience

But the music is going to be a hell of lot better in RO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

The problem isn't that it would be hard to finish. The problem is that there's no upside for WB. If people don't like the new cut, there's more press about how much of their process is shit. If people do like the new cut, there's more press about how stupid they were in the first place. Lose lose. The few hundred thousand they might gross from the extra sales isn't worth it.

Well what was the upside of releasing the UE of Batman V Superman then though? All that stuff has already been said since it's been viewed.

People made articles and videos bashing WB for not releasing that version in theaters. There was no upside for WB there either.

Yeah WB will catch more bad press but the movie itself might get viewed in a better light from all of the people who hated it. This in turn could at least leave many with a more favorable approach going into Wonder Woman & Justice League who are not right now (IF this cut is better and I think it will be).

WB turned a lot of people around on the DCU with that EU of BVS. I even rated it much higher. It's not perfect but it's way more coherent. I at least understood what Snyder was going for. Plots actually could breathe. 

Then they took that goodwill and slammed out another poorly edited product with this movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Don't Breathe is getting good reviews. The marketing has been muted so far but I wonder if it could surprise and pull bigger than expected #s leading up to and during Labor Day Weekend. 

That looks like a sleeper hit in the making.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Well what was the upside of releasing the UE of Batman V Superman then though?

That was planned for quite awhile, just like PJ's extended cuts of THE HOBBITs. That HV version got rated by the MPAA back in last year. There's a difference in putting out a longer cut where the filmmaker goes "Yes, the theatrical cut was mine as well, but this has some extra goodies I think the fans would like", versus a situation where (rightly or wrongly) the studio is seen as completely meddling and fucking up a cut.

A friend saw Sausage Party tonight (I'm going with another to see it tomorrow) and said the entire auditorium was almost exclusively male (of the college age too). I know a slew of female-targeted films (like, namely, the Twilights) got 80%+ female demographic scores but has there ever been a movie to score that high on the male side? I think even the Entourage movie settled for like 70% there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, picores said:

13.25m for the Saugages and 13m for the Suicides, per Deadline.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

They are saying Suicide Squad is 13m now, Sausage Party 13.25m

Unfortunately they don't give Friday numbers for anyone else.