WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

21 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

So Ike Barinholtz....the sleezy guard in SS knows more about the budget than the execs do? 

Insert Nicolas cage laughing gif here.

To quote Harley's dialogue from SS ( talking to that guard...)

Spoiler

"You're so screwed".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

So I know this is completely random, but I remember a discussion of how GOTG2 only had Pirates of the Caribbean as bigger budget film to compete with in May and how Pirates had Memorial Day Weekend all to itself and why a studio wouldn't move one of their bigger budget films to that weekend. Well this happened a few weeks ago but apparently Sony moved their Sci-Fi thriller "Life" to that weekend. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds and is about astronauts and stuff. Will be interesting to see how that film plays out (if its any good) against Pirates. 

I see it grossing inbetween Alice 2 and Tomorrowland #s. But I doubt the budget will be anything extreme, so it'll probably be a success. I'd love for it to break out though; the premise sounds cool, and it's got my man Jake Gyllenhall. (And I assume you're excited to see Mr. Blake Lively in this movie. ;))

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

That doesn't make Ike wrong or a liar. In fact, he doesn't even need a clue about budgets if he was informed of the budget by someone who does. Beyond that, how would you know to make such a blanket statement?

What does it matter? You've been given a source from somebody who knows both the production and marketing budget and that sources says the 700+ rumors aren't true. You just keep insisting on using whatever source helps paint your narrative.

Just use common  sense. Suicide Squad is Warner's 2nd best grossing movie this year. As of today, it will have made more than the 3rd and 4th best movies from this studio combined, which have a listed budget far exceeding Suicide Squad's. For this studio in particular, Suicide Squad is a success. You could claim that a studio in dire straights would claim the least bad news as its best success, until you realize this studio is in second place in market share by a fare margin BASED on the success of the two films you keep painting as failures. Apparently, the second place studio is in its position mainly due to 3/4ths of it's top 4 being flops?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dang these numbers are depressing. Thinking about it, it probably wasn't more than an 8/10 for me, but that still means I really really liked it and think it deserves better. Hope it passes 50M total. Oh, and also Pete's Dragon hasn't grown on me, and as of now I think it's more of a 6/10 than the 8/10 I originally thought it was.

The most exciting box office thing that happened was I just had a dream that Spider-Man homecoming had a 104M OD. I "watched" the first 20 minutes of it in my dream and it was good as hell.

WINTER IS COMING (& what I really mean there is fall is coming lol).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

-Going by Deadline, SS is the only one to do 15+.

-KUBO will need ~4x to do 51M dom, same as BOXTROLLS, and can well do it with positive buzz, semi-summer weekdays for a couple of weeks and Labor Day weekend.

-BEN-HUR opening 2.5M below GODS OF EGYPT. 25+ dom?

-Bigger than expected drop for SP but it's already over-performing so doesn't matter much.

-With 5.7 I think ~19.5 (-55%) for SS. Within range of expectations and keeps 300 alive.

-WD will need 3x to match it's prod budget dom.

Unfortunately Kubo has no chance of doing 4x, and Laika's films keep grossing less and less, which is so unfortunate.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Considering how bad (IMO) Suicide Squad was I'm surprised it's not dropping 70% week after week. Next week it will hold well and the week after that it has the Labor Day boost. It's honestly in a very good position right now to cross 300m

Well, it should now be clear to you that many people don't mirror your opinion that's why it's not dropping 70% week after week. Just for the record, I didn't like the movie.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 3

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Kirk, Raphael, Snake-Eyes, and Optimus thrown into the gladiator arena. Optimus might be a bit overkill. 

I can honestly see a TMNT and TF crossover if Paramount gets desperate enough.  Maybe Trek thrown in for good measures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatOneWardog said:

My mom said I was allowed to see 4 more movies before school starts.  So I'll be trying to see Jason Bourne, Pete's Dragon, War Dogs, and Kubo by September.

BRUH I FEEL YOU! My parents used to say that before I got a job ther and could go for free anyways. So I'd just walk the hour to the theatre. Dedication right there.

12 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

WINTER IS COMING (& what I really mean there is fall is coming lol).

When you're actually LOOKING FORWARD to September, you know August has been bad.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Any news about overseas grosses for SS?

We had some update 2 days ago, about overseas grosses being 271 million. So, that's 28 million that haven't been updated into worldwide numbers. We also don't know how much money SS made on Wednesday and Thursday overseas + money that will be made this weekend overseas.

I guess it might give a boost to foreign numbers. I predict 305-310 million overseas and 261 million domestic by the ending of this weekend. So, we would have 565-571 million worldwide. 600 million next weekend, at least.

That 271 M number probably included Wednesday. http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/suicide-squad-hits-500m-global/5108573.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

BRUH I FEEL YOU! My parents used to say that before I got a job ther and could go for free anyways. So I'd just walk the hour to the theatre. Dedication right there.

I was originally planning on seeing IA5 and BH, but I'd rather see those 4 over those 2.

So blame my mom for why Ben Hur and Ice Age flopped :redcapes: 

• Like 2