WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

Well, I'll defer to you guys on the $10M OW.  I haven't been watching box office that long and I don't really know what buzz for a $10M OW or less is supposed to feel like.  I do like a lot of action films and don't feel drawn to this one, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it at the level needed  - if that is all it needs.

I'm hardly any expert. :lol: But here's Statham's filmography in that basic range:

11 9 Death Race Uni. $36,316,032 2,586 $12,621,090 2,532 8/22/08
12 11 Transporter 3 LGF $31,715,062 2,626 $12,063,452 2,626 11/26/08
13 14 The Mechanic CBS $29,121,498 2,704 $11,422,006 2,703 1/28/11
14 15 Crank LGF $27,838,408 2,515 $10,457,367 2,515 9/1/06
15 10 Cellular NL $32,003,620 2,763 $10,100,571 2,749 9/10/04
16 18 WAR LGF $22,486,409 2,277 $9,820,089 2,277 8/24/07
17 17 Killer Elite ORF $25,124,966 2,986 $9,352,008 2,986 9/23/11
18 16 The Transporter Fox $25,296,447 2,610 $9,107,816 2,573 10/11/02
19 21 Safe (2012) LGF $17,142,080 2,271 $7,892,539 2,266 4/27/12
20 20 Parker FD $17,616,641 2,238 $7,008,222 2,224 1/25/13

Almost all of these were sold 100% on his name. It's safe to say that M2 will fall in this same range... it might dip under 10m if it only gets 2,200 theaters (as currently listed). But Statham is remarkably consistent with these low-level action movies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The reason he went after Bucky in the first place to not only keep him from being executed but to keep anyone from being killed by Bucky because he was the best man to accomplish that. He then allowed Bucky to be taken after the tunnel chase.  If he wanted he could have resisted or planned to break him out but all he did was ask that Bucky get a lawyer (refused).  Then they let a terrorist in to brainwash him into a killer and he escaped.  Steve kept him from escaping and put him in a vice.  He held on to him after that to track down Zemo and the other Winter Soldiers which is what the fight at the airport was about, not protecting Bucky.   Ross didn't care about truth or justice, but he wouldn't he's Ross (creator of the Hulk and The Abomination, destroyer of Harlem and all around power mad 

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

His mission was to stop Zemo and he thought it was time sensitive and it wasn't matter of his handing over Bucky but himself and every one else and letting Zemo escape and he thought trigger other Winter Soldiers.  Tony couldn't deal with Ross, he tried and Ross blew him off and then Tony broke the Accords to join  Steve and Bucky.   In the end Tony couldn't get the others out of The Raft either, even though they only did what he did (and T'Challa did) break the Accords.  There's no due process for any of them.  Steve learned that and then Tony learned that and now he's stuck with Ross with a near empty Avengers facility.

We are talking about him being a boy scout not his mission.

I don't see a boy scout kicking a bunch of dudes asses while they are following orders from thier superiors If anything he would have avoided them at all cost.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Plus it's just the sort of movie where they heavily presale foreign territories, so the financiers might well have turned a profit before they even shot the thing.

I'm more surprised they managed to lure in Tommy Lee Jones for a role. Guess the money was good.

Isn't preselling more to cover the budget, Lionsgate presold The Hunger Games to their local distributors so they recoup the budget but don't make money from OS aside from the territories they did distribute like the UK. 

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The less they show of Superman in the JLA trailers the better chance of a huge turnout. Make it look Baffleck runs the show - which he is anyway.

:lol:

1 minute ago, ThatOneMechanic said:

The thing is, Mechanic Resurrection is a sequel to The Mechanic.  People would have to watch that in order to watch this.  And in an age where sequel fatigue is this big, I don't see good things for M:R at all. 

Sequel fatigue is big for serialized giant tentpoles where you're required to have seen the previous movies in order to follow along. M2 (I assume) is gonna be more like your classic lower-budget action sequel -- it doesn't really matter whether you've seen the first one or not. All you need to know is "Statham kicks ass for 100 minutes".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm more surprised they managed to lure in Tommy Lee Jones for a role. Guess the money was good.

Isn't preselling more to cover the budget, Lionsgate presold The Hunger Games to their local distributors so they recoup the budget but don't make money from OS aside from the territories they did distribute like the UK. 

Sure, but if you presell more than what you've budgeted (and you stay on budget), you're profitable already, even before release. Then the domestic release plus HV/VOD is (mostly) gravy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Being moral doesn't require you to follow "superiors" and the law. 

CACW shows Cap making a very explicit choice to separate from authorities that he can't trust. 

Cavill Superman still hems and haws. It's frustrating to watch for me. 

So he can't trust Tony?

You all are making up shit now.

Just now, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Sure, but if you presell more than what you've budgeted (and you stay on budget), you're profitable already, even before release. Then the domestic release plus HV/VOD is (mostly) gravy.

I assume Lionsgate uses the same local distributors who have the first look to acquire their films much like eOne has the DreamWorks SKG films in most overseas markets. Lionsgate was able to sell Gods of Egypt despite being very poor but I imagine the distributors only saw early footage or concepts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

So he can't trust Tony?

You all are making up shit now.

Tony isn't in power.  Ross is.  That's why Tony also has to break the Accords - then lie about it so he's not locked up in The Raft (which Ross threatens him) like the rest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Tony isn't in power.  Ross is.  That's why Tony also has to break the Accords - then lie about it so he's not locked up in The Raft (which Ross threatens him) like the rest.

Omg let it go people im done

The procedure of casting modern Hollywood blockbusters will probably forever escape me but when it comes to Batman versus Superman it's entering the realm of the absurd.

First, why couldn't they get Michael Rosenbaum? Star power be damned! Don't they know how many people have watched Smallville, and don't they know that every single one who watched that show loved their Lex, no matter if they even liked the show? I can understand casting someone new if you find someone phenomenal, but Michael was already phenomenal and Jesse Eisenberg is a bloody joke!

Oh, and newsflash to the script writers - Lex doesn't shave his head in prison, he's bald! Being aggressively bald is a defining character trait for Lex Luthor! He's got a head where hair's too scared to grow!

It's the same with the Wayne kid - why, why couldn't they get David Mazouz?! He would've blown the chosen one away without even trying! You could come up with the old "conflicting schedules" bullshit excuse but it doesn't compute, because a: it's a very small role, b: in this manner Gotham and BvS would co-promote each other which certainly is worth some minor sacrifice and c: these actors regularly film movies during their show years anyway. If they were ever to cast Damian Wayne, I'm sure they'll pass on him again, and it's frankly ridiculous. This is a kid who's been steeped in Batman mythology playing a young Bruce Wayne for two years, not to mention he might be the best under-18 actor in the world today.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

The procedure of casting modern Hollywood blockbusters will probably forever escape me but when it comes to Batman versus Superman it's entering the realm of the absurd.

First, why couldn't they get Michael Rosenbaum? Star power be damned! Don't they know how many people have watched Smallville, and don't they know that every single one who watched that show loved their Lex, no matter if they even liked the show? I can understand casting someone new if you find someone phenomenal, but Michael was already phenomenal and Jesse Eisenberg is a bloody joke!

Oh, and newsflash to the script writers - Lex doesn't shave his head in prison, he's bald! Being aggressively bald is a defining character trait for Lex Luthor! He's got a head where hair's too scared to grow!

It's the same with the Wayne kid - why, why couldn't they get David Mazouz?! He would've blown the chosen one away without even trying! You could come up with the old "conflicting schedules" bullshit excuse but it doesn't compute, because a: it's a very small role, b: in this manner Gotham and BvS would co-promote each other which certainly is worth some minor sacrifice and c: these actors regularly film movies during their show years anyway. If they were ever to cast Damian Wayne, I'm sure they'll pass on him again, and it's frankly ridiculous. This is a kid who's been steeped in Batman mythology playing a young Bruce Wayne for two years, not to mention he might be the best under-18 actor in the world today.

Casting Michael Rosenbaum would have been stupid because Smallville and the DCEU have different continuities. Casting him would have caused confusion and would have been strange. 

The same can be said for your other criticisms about casting. 

Edited by BluRayHiDef
  • Like 1