WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

17 minutes ago, jandrew said:

What's SS's chances of 4-peating? What's DB tracking at?

0%, because of Don't Breathe.

SS will probably drop to 2nd place. There's still The Mechanic movie being released. So, I'm not sure. I don't see people flicking theaters to watch a Statham actioner. I know I'll watch it, though. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Superman is boring. And well covered. You can't do better films than Supes I and II. New version sucked. Then you had Smallville. Superman isn't a massive draw now. Not on Batman, Spidey, IM level. Same director, story picks off where MoS ended, it is a pumped up sequel. 330m is a healthy total. JLA ought to do better.

Yes, SS is performing better than GotG and Deadpool overseas. It won't reach their tally due to China, but if you take China away it is slightly ahead of both films.

Deadpool was not released in China.

But yeah , Smallville lasted 10 seasons and it had the best live action Lex Luthor ever to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BluRayHiDef said:

Agreed. Personally, I like the aesthetic of this new Superman and also his personality, but I wish that he were more assertive and sure of himself. When I think of Superman, I think of him as portrayed in Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimted; in each of these series, he is noble and kind-hearted yet still assertive and aggressive when necessary - he's perfect. Cavill's Superman has his heart in the right place and means well but is too unsure of himself, short on words, and a little too aggressive at times (fly-tackling the African war lord through a wall and attempting to take Batman's head off with a haymaker despite not knowing the limits of Batman's armor and that he himself had just been weakened by Kryptonite). 

Well, I disagree. I think not giving the younger generation the real Superman (idealistic and inspiring) is what limits 'Superman's' popularity in this market.  It sure didn't hurt Captain America.

And it isn't just the old Superman I and II either, it IS Smallville as well, and cartoons.  People who grew up on that continue to think Superman should be idealistic and inspiring, IMHO.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

Deadpool was not released in China.

But yeah , Smallville lasted 10 seasons and it had the best live action Lex Luthor ever to date.

LOVED LOVED LOVED Michael as Lex he was so great. I actually rooted for him over Clark several times 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

LOVED LOVED LOVED Michael as Lex he was so great. I actually rooted for him over Clark several times 

He's the best, I always look for an excuse to spam his pictures, it was the best portrayal of Lex ever. And I rooted for him most of time :)

Lex-Luthor-Smallville.jpg

Edited by Emerald kikyou
  • Like 2

The Mechanic 2 has a surprisingly high 18k in Wants To See on RT/Flixter. But I haven't been tracking it so I have no idea if the numbers are old from when it was first announced or have been building steadily.  Nothing in Stratham's recent action films point to a $15m+ opening  though. :huh:

6 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

He's the best, I always look for an excuse to spam his pictures, it was the best portrayal of Lex ever. And I rooted for him most of time :)

Lex-Luthor-Smallville.jpg

Best live action Lex Luthor for sure!

Btw 

inuyasha_gif_by_pikachustar93-da7z1qc.gi

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trifle said:

Well, I disagree. I think not giving the younger generation the real Superman (idealistic and inspiring) is what limits 'Superman's' popularity in this market.  It sure didn't hurt Captain America.

And it isn't just the old Superman I and II either, it IS Smallville as well, and cartoons.  People who grew up on that continue to think Superman should be idealistic and inspiring, IMHO.

Why Superman returns bombed? WHILE BEING PRIASED BY CRITCS.

S.R was the main reason Superman has this "Boring" reputation.

Smallville was a T.V show that gave the character 10 years to develop.

Cavil superman will be that ideal guy a lot of People just don't want the character to be developed.

The reason why Superman died out after Superman 2 was they put too much of him into two flims by the third one there was nothing new to explore.

At the very least Cavil superman has room to grow.

Those who complain about Cavil superman just isn't comic book readers because if they were they will understand comic superman isn't the same as Donner's superman.

For the last 30years Superman has been this more of a serious character then anything else.

P.s Smallville wasnt a Superman story it was a Superboy story.Trust me its a difference.

Cartoon Superman is more closely to Zack superman then anything else.

SUPERMAN isn't as popular because of the so called "Ideal and inspiring "version.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The Mechanic made $62M WW on a $40M budget. That warranted a sequel? 

Action movies usually do very well in ancillary

Also Forbes has it down as $36m budget and $76m WW which makes the numbers more palatable

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

why Superman returns bombed if your logic is correct.

Cavil superman will be that ideal guy a lot of People just don't want the character to be developed.

The reason why Superman died out after Superman 2 was they put too much of him into two flims by the third one there was nothing new to explore.

Those who complain about Cavil superman just isn't comic book readers because of they were they will understand comic superman isn't the same as Donner's superman.

For the last 30years Superman has been this more of a serious character then anything else.

P.s Smallville wasnt a Superman story it was a Superboy story.Trust me its a difference.

SUPERMAN isn't as popular because of the so called "Ideal and inspiring "version.

As a comic book reader, that's not true.
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Why Superman returns bombed? WHILE BEING PRIASED BY CRITCS.

Those who complain about Cavil superman just isn't comic book readers because of they were they will understand comic superman isn't the same as Donner's superman.

Superman Returns was not a good movie, and was controversial because he had a kid and deserted his pregnant girlfriend and so forth.  But overall he was at least Superman.  It was also in different time, not as much by years as in mindset.  And Smallville existed so people already had that.  Some (including me) liked Smallville better than SR.  And I sure considered it Superman's origin story, not somehow compartmentalized as 'Superboy'.

If you like Snyder's Superman we are never going to agree on this, but when people cite the lack of as much response to Snyder's Superman as to other Superheros, I feel strongly that it is because real Superman fans don't consider this to be Superman.

And it isn't just will Cavill ever become idealistic.  The origin story is wrong.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

As a comic book reader, that's not true.

Whatever! For the last 30 Years Superman have been more serious in both comics and cartoons.

The writers understood nobody is interested in the boy scout anymore.

This isn't the 1938 ,apples doesn't cost a nickel.

All of the most iconic Superman comics are the more Serious ones.If you were such a comic book reader you'll know this.As a matter of fact all of DC's most famous comics are the more serious ones.

17 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The Mechanic made $62M WW on a $40M budget. That warranted a sequel? 

It made 76 million worldwide, but it had 16 million more from video sales. That's 92 million for a movie with Statham as the main star.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Mechanic-The-(2010)#tab=summary

Probably overseas numbers + dvd sales had a part in the decision of going with a sequel.

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Whatever! For the last 30 Years Superman have been more serious in both comics and cartoons.

The writers understood nobody is interested in the boy scout anymore.

This isn't the 1938 ,apples doesn't cost a nickel.

All of the most iconic Superman comics are the more Serious ones.If you were such a comic book reader you'll know this.As a matter of fact all of DC's most famous comics are the more serious ones.

Well, speaking as a comic book reader, someone with Superman comics on his pull list. And a decent collection of Superman comics and cartoons. Superman stories may have gotten serious. But Superman never stopped being a boy scout. Only someone who reads frank miller or rich Moore would think Superman ever stopped being a boy scout. Superman readers know he never stopped being that boy scout, superman fans know what he really is. Of course, you've already proven you're not a fan of superman.

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 3

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

It made 76 million worldwide, but it had 16 million more from video sales. That's 92 million for a movie with Statham as the main star.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Mechanic-The-(2010)#tab=summary

Probably overseas numbers + dvd sales had a part in the decision of going with a sequel.

Plus it's just the sort of movie where they heavily presale foreign territories, so the financiers might well have turned a profit before they even shot the thing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

Superman Returns was not a good movie, and was controversial because he had a kid and deserted his pregnant girlfriend and so forth.  But overall he was at least Superman.  It was also in different time, not as much by years as in mindset.  And Smallville existed so people already had that.  Some (including me) liked Smallville better than SR.  And I sure considered it Superman's origin story, not somehow compartmentalized as 'Superboy'.

If you like Snyder's Superman we are never going to agree on this, but when people cite the lack of as much response to Snyder's Superman as to other Superheros, I feel strongly that it is because real Superman fans don't consider this to be Superman.

Real Superman fans need to let Donner's go.

Zack's Superman is the closet ever to the comics.

Answer this 

What makes him not Superman?

I hope you don't use that "Superman doesn't kill" crap because obviously the man had no choice.

For those who understands how stories developed him feeling out of place fits because it's the story that's being told.

Zack can't help it of his superman isn't gonna follow how Donner did it step by step, it is why it's called a reboot.

I think a lot of you wanted so much in a short period of time your mind was completely closed to the story.

• Like 1