Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

i never watched book of boba fett. I guess I gotta watch that before this new season starts😒.

(if you really only care about Mando stuff, it's episodes 5, 6, and 7 which you'll want to see)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"In celebration of the success of the Lucasfilm series, The Mandalorian, Disney+ has announced that the series will make its broadcast television debut, introducing a special linear airing for the first episode of the series. The TV broadcast debut comes ahead of the premiere of the highly anticipated third season. 

As fans of The Mandalorian prepare to return to Mandalore in season three, debuting on March 1, Disney+ has prepared a nostalgic trip to the moment viewers were introduced to the adventures of lone bounty hunter, Din Djarin, with the episode that started it all. The special linear airing of the first episode of season one will be made available for viewers through simulcast across ABC, Freeform and FX on Friday, February 24, at 8 p.m. EST."

source: https://collider.com/mandalorian-broadcast-television-debut/

Good way to possibly get a new audience for the show.  

• Like 2

EDIT:::

There is an Unlisted video for Mando S3 on the official SW channel over at YT that SW Leaks found early, so almost certainly airing at some point during the SB. Since it's Unlisted I'm deleting it for now and I'll repost the vid when it officially airs/

(only one new shot in it anyway)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Been rewatching this in build up to Season 3 and wow I forgot how much of a step up that first episode of Season 2 was over Season 1 plus I love that IMAX style action scene. 7 more episodes to watch (I try to do 1 episode a day) and then will have to bing Book of Boba Fett to finish it before Season 3. 

Hopefully Season 3 is another step up in terms of action, cinematography etc. especially with the Mandalore arc they have been building towards. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

First episode must be a banger if they don’t feel the need to put out two 

Haven't done double episodes for Mando yet, so I wouldn't read too much into lack of double dips.

(also with the possible WGA strike looming, Disney has incentives to start spreading out their releases)

• Like 3

Doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things (or anything, probably), but The Mandalorian has risen to the #6 slot on the Disney Plus trend list as people catch up/rewatch their favs.  Also, in a smart move, Disney has "Catch up on The Mandalorian"prominently on their home page, with the last three episodes of TBOBF included.   

Since they are listing episodes in order on that field, the last three Fett episodes are more or less being billed as episodes #17, #18, and #19.

No idea how many people are actually checking it out, nor much of an idea of how much of the core Mando audience hasn't seen those three episodes.  Know there will be some, especially among the more casual fans.  Also know that Fett had relatively strong viewership numbers, though not Mando level numbers, so I do think some of the concern over audience being lost is somewhat overblown.  Regardless I'll be interested to see how they handle the return of Baby Yoda in the intro of S3.  Most of it will be presumably in a Previously On, but I do suspect some of it will be readdressed in the episode itself, even if they don't dwell on it fully.

• Like 4

Finishing up my rewatch ahead of the premiere (late) tomorrow night, and say what one will about Andor raising the bar, the stretch of episodes from The Jedi to The Rescue is so sooooo good.  Hell, I'll throw in The Heiress while I'm at it*.

* While I enjoyed The Siege more on my rewatch, still ain't as high on it as others are.

Really, all of season two of The Mandalorian was a step up in quality for me in execution and confidence.  I do have some nits (Jon Favreau is a little too fond of story telling shortcuts for my liking, which reared its head much more in Fett [which I'm about to get to] than here), but there's so much great character interplay and storytelling that those nits get overshadowed.  For me at least.

If season three has a compelling story (and that's a big if), then I think we have a lot to look forward to.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Finishing up my rewatch ahead of the premiere (late) tomorrow night, and say what one will about Andor raising the bar, the stretch of episodes from The Jedi to The Rescue is so sooooo good.  Hell, I'll throw in The Heiress while I'm at it*.

* While I enjoyed The Siege more on my rewatch, still ain't as high on it as others are.

Really, all of season two of The Mandalorian was a step up in quality for me in execution and confidence.  I do have some nits (Jon Favreau is a little too fond of story telling shortcuts for my liking, which reared its head much more in Fett [which I'm about to get to] than here), but there's so much great character interplay and storytelling that those nits get overshadowed.  For me at least.

If season three has a compelling story (and that's a big if), then I think we have a lot to look forward to.

I think The Marshal is also great. One of the most purely entertaining episodes the show has done. Overall I agree that I find season 2 to be slightly better than season 1, although season 1 also was quite good for me and had some great episodes. Haven't rewatched S2 since it aired, though. 

I also don't think it's a big if on whether S3 will have a compelling story, I think there's a lot of rich material to mine and think BOBF was an aberration. But given some of the sloppy handling of stuff since S2 the doubts are understandable. I'm pretty confident in this season, though. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I think The Marshal is also great. One of the most purely entertaining episodes the show has done. Overall I agree that I find season 2 to be slightly better than season 1, although season 1 also was quite good for me and had some great episodes. Haven't rewatched S2 since it aired, though. 

I also don't think it's a big if on whether S3 will have a compelling story, I think there's a lot of rich material to mine and think BOBF was an aberration. But given some of the sloppy handling of stuff since S2 the doubts are understandable. I'm pretty confident in this season, though. 

Oh, I agree about The Marshall, but I was more talking about the streak of episodes than anything else.  Wanted to say from The Heiress to The Rescue, but I just can't pull the trigger on The Siege.  Hell, I even like The Passenger a lot more than most (Frog Lady ftw), but I'll admit it isn't quite at the level as what I'm highlighting.

And, really, it's more about execution than anything else, as even TBOBF had a compelling story lurking under the surface.  Still wonder to this day just how much the 'rona upended everything when it came to baking that in the oven, never mind executing it on the sound stage.  I suppose Mando S3 being worked on and shot in the tail end of the pandemic* is what is driving most of my... doubt isn't the right word here so I'll just say: Interested to see if the same standards of execution will be here as they were in the first two Mando seasons.

* Yes, still going on — you know what I mean [if not, I mean shooting and creative crews getting used to restrictions on shooting and sets, presuming those restrictions haven't been loosened lifted by the time Mando S3 was in full swing]

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

In a conversation with Deadline, EP Rick Famuyiwa told us that addressing the Cara Dune’s departure was on the minds of the writers’ room. Famuyiwa directs episode 1, 7 and 8 of Season 3 after previously helming three episodes for the Disney+ show. 

“Cara was a big part and continues as a character to be part of the world. It had to be addressed in the creative and [Jon Favreau] took the time to think about that,” Famuyiwa said. “It was something that was discussed as we knew it was going to have impact on the show, but at the same time, what has been at the heart of the show are the two characters — Din Djarin and Grogu — so ultimately it felt like a servicing of that, and around the Mandalorians.”

So is Cara Done out there in the universe just bounty hunting?

Answered Filoni: “It’s a big galaxy and we have many characters in it — many characters are fighting for their screen time. We’ll just have to see as the season unfolds what the adventures are, but it’s a great character, someone who was vital to Din Djarin’s beginnings; we’ll see if he has evolved beyond that.”

“Now Season 3 is mainly dealing with Mandalorians and the Mandalorian saga, the Mandalorian tale,” Filoni added. “(There’s) different characters he’s met since Bo-Katan (who) take a lot more prominence, which makes sense where his arc is going, the story of him and Grogu specifically.”

So, it sounds like no Cara Dune.

Did fans ever call for Carano’s Cara Dune to return? (This despite the fact that #FireGinaCarano trended after her 2021 statements.)

“It’s a great character,” answered Filoni.

“I get requests across the board for all types of characters,” he said. “I’ve been with Star Wars, it’s coming on 20 years. It’s a great galaxy. The hardest thing is finding time and space for everyone out there. George [Lucas] use to talk about when he was making the prequels, he had so many great characters and they all wanted screen time. How do you do it when your job is to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker? I relate to that.”

The Mandalorian in the title is the story about the Mandalorian and his people,” said the EP.

(snipping everything else from the article)

NB:

Maybe the biggest (positive) news here is that Rick Famuyiwa directs episode 1, 7 and 8.  Which certainly bodes well in this punter's opinion.

• Like 4