WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Will probably end around 40M for the weekend. Kind of surprising it only did 1.75M considering Equalizer by itself did 1.45M in previews. All the additional actors only added 300k, with previews being more and more common nowadays.

Not that surprising, Denzel is the only proven actor there who can open a film big with his name alone. He's about 85-90%+ of this box office.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

There are so many adult-targeting movies coming out over consecutives between Sully, Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon, The Girl on the Train, The Accountant, and Inferno. Will be interesting to see if all of them can coexist at once.

I seem to remember the same situation this time last year, they couldn't.

Okay opening for M7. let's hope it can at least open to $40m. I got a club riding on it making $150m. 

Mag7 looks to open right in the middle between The Equalizer and Safe House. Continues to astound just how consistent Denzel is, despite the occasional underperformer (The Manchurian Candidate, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, 2 Guns...all summer releases, fyi).

36 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Thursday multipliers from @lobogotti in the Buzz thread:

Sully: 26x

Equalizer: 23x

Martian: 22x

Mag 7 will get anywhere from 38.5M-45.5M with those, HAIL PIZZAMAN

really thought it was coming in over $2M.  still, those are great numbers for a western.

33 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Will probably end around 40M for the weekend. Kind of surprising it only did 1.75M considering Equalizer by itself did 1.45M in previews. All the additional actors only added 300k, with previews being more and more common nowadays.

But that assumes Denzel is as popular in a Western as in other films, and I've seen at least some speculation that a segment of his audience wouldn't make the leap.  With an ensemble cast it is hard to say exactly who is drawing what, and all but $300K didn't necessarily come from one actor, imho.  But this sounds great for Mag7!  I hope it is at the 45M end of the projections.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mag7 looks to open right in the middle between The Equalizer and Safe House. Continues to astound just how consistent Denzel is, despite the occasional underperformer (The Manchurian Candidate, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, 2 Guns...all summer releases, fyi).

Even those "under performers" are all $27-30m openers adjusted for inflation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

But that assumes Denzel is as popular in a Western as in other films, and I've seen at least some speculation that a segment of his audience wouldn't make the leap.  With an ensemble cast it is hard to say exactly who is drawing what, and all but $300K didn't necessarily come from one actor, imho.  But this sounds great for Mag7!  I hope it is at the 45M end of the projections.

This was pretty much sold as Denzel's show featuring Pratt and a host of other talented people. Seems safe to give him most of the credit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Given Denzel a draw for audiences, I wonder if studios have approached him for big tentpoles and he's turned them down. 

And Leo are probably the only actors in the industry to have built up so much clout without ever having a franchise. Amazing stuff.

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

This is Denzel's normal range I give him most of the credit with Pratt added in as a benefit. This movie would probably be at a sub20 opening without those two considering westerns are not popular. 

I know the main reason I'm watching it is because of Pratt and I'm sure for many people the main reason is Denzel. This is really a movie that will make whatever it's gonna make because of its cast. I think in this case the brand name hurts as much as it helps. I very much doubt reviews would be this critical for an original Western.

Edited by JennaJ

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Given Denzel a draw for audiences, I wonder if studios have approached him for big tentpoles and he's turned them down. 

Rumor was WB wanted him for Lex.  I'm sure he was offered other things but he's always maintained he doesn't want to make sequels.  Equalizer II will be his first.  At age 62...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This was pretty much sold as Denzel's show featuring Pratt and a host of other talented people. Seems safe to give him most of the credit.

I'm not disparaging his draw, I think it is proven.  I'm saying that the flip side -- that the other actors only draw what is over Denzel's draw - isn't a conclusion you can reach.  There can be overlap of audience, for one thing.  I agree with filmlover that Passengers will be more telling for Pratt and Jen both.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think you can honestly say Denzel is solely responsible for 35m or whatever of what this movie's gonna make. That's assuming that Denzel would get that same amount out of every single project he'd do, regrdless of stuff like genre, reviews, and a host of other factors. I don't think Denzel in a Western = Denzel in an action movie. I don't think it's that straightforward.

Besides, people want to paint the idea of a draw as if it's all or none - you're either a draw or you're not. I always think it's a combination of the right actor in the right role. Some people may love Denzel in R rated thrillers and hate the idea of him being in a Western. Whatever this movie is gonna make, it's the sum of its parts - genre, actors (the ones used in advertizing, which is basically Denzel first and Pratt sencond), middling reviews, and the Mag7 brand with everything it carries.

If this does over 40m that's to me a good result and every factor contributed to some degree.

• Like 2