chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

42nd - The Emperor's New Groove

167pts - 16 votes, 2 top 10, (2014: 53rd Up 11)

We are back to Disney films I waited 10 years too long to get round to watching under the assumption they'd be awful.

And this is the one that I kick myself the second hardest because of that decision. This is an amazing film, the humour is so different for Disney and the fourth wall breaking is brilliant in its moments. I understand that the humour style will not be for everybody, but for me, this film is one of about 6 films that fights over the 5th place spot in my list of favourite Disney animations. 

A big increase of 11 places is pretty cool too see and I look forward to seeing it build a following over the next few years. 

• Like 9

41st - My Neighbour Totoro

169pts - 14 votes, 1 top 5, (2014: 41st No Change)

I saw this for the first time on Sunday, and I am still waiting for something to happen.

Sure it is charming and lovely and all. And acorns are truly the most exciting things in the history of everything, but I don't see what makes this a classic, sorry. It isn't awful, it's just there. Totoro is very cute (but he also steals umbrellas), but that is counterbalanced by a bus that will be in my nightmares for years to come. 

This is also the 2nd film on the list to finish in the same position as the previous list. 

• Like 9

40th - Kung Fu Panda

173pts - 19 votes, (2014: 22nd Down 18)

The film that launched the greatest bear franchise...

Well I have talked about how much I am a fan of this series already with the other two entries. Personally I place 2 higher than this one, but it is understandable to see this one finish higher too.

A little sad to see the big drop from 2 years ago, but 40th is still a strong place to end up.   

• Like 10

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

41st - My Neighbour Totoro

169pts - 14 votes, 1 top 5, (2014: 41st No Change)

I saw this for the first time on Sunday, and I am still waiting for something to happen.

Sure it is charming and lovely and all. And acorns are truly the most exciting things in the history of everything, but I don't see what makes this a classic, sorry. It isn't awful, it's just there. Totoro is very cute (but he also steals umbrellas), but that is counterbalanced by a bus that will be in my nightmares for years to come. 

This is also the 2nd film on the list to finish in the same position as the previous list. 

Huh, that's pretty much my exact thoughts on the film, it's good and cute. but after all the raves I expected something more.

• Like 1

39th - The Jungle Book

180pts - 16 votes, 1 First Place (2014: 33rd Down 6)

So my personal number 1 came in at 39th...

I can live with that. Obviously I would love to see it finish higher, but unlike anymore who put anything in the top 10 or 12 as their first place pick, I had now dreams or aspirations that it would actually happen. 

It is kind of odd now that I think 2 of my 30 favourite films of all time are called Jungle Book :). I know this isn't the most in depth film of all time, but the songs are legendary, Baloo is one of my favourite characters ever and was just the film that I watched the most of any film in my pre-teen life. 

It dropped 6 places but that is a pretty strong hold with the new films and big raisers in the list this year. Hope it can crack top 30 next time. 

This was one of 9 films that at some point found itself top of the overall master list, although that was kind of because my list was the first one to be scored and everything else got added to it :) 

• Like 9

38th - Shrek 2

180pts - 17 votes, 2 top 10 (2014: 26th Down 13)

The best use of a talking cat in boots in cinema...

I always thought that Shrek 2 was considered the best Shrek by the wider audience but apparently it was just me. This is one of the funniest animated films that I have seen and actually does that rare thing of introducing a new major character to a solid franchise and actually pulling it off as a new popular and beloved character. 

It's a shame to see this film drop 13 places, but Shrek has fallen out of favour slightly since more and more sequels diluted the quality of the overall franchise. Here's hoping that Shrek 5 can somehow be great. 

• Like 8

37th - Big Hero 6

189pts - 19 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: New Entry)

Being in Korea and getting the film in March, I originally thought that Baymax was some new form of IMax screen developed by Michael Bay to make explosions look better on screen :)

Princess and the Frog was ok, Tangled was great, Wreck it Ralph was equally great, Frozen was exceptional and this one for me topped all of them. Who cannot love Baymax? Yeah its a generic Marvel origin story in some ways, but the characters make up for this a lot in my eyes (like with a lot of live action Marvel), this will likely be the post PatF Disney animation to date that I watch the most between now and death. (ah who am I kidding, I teach English in Korea, I am going to be force-fed Frozen over and over until my brain starts dripping out of my eyes. 

As a new entry, it will be interesting to see if this increases or decreases next time around,

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Shrek 2 is 38th and 39th? Impressive. 

Realised too late that it actually beat the Jungle book on the tie break and copying what I already did and then editing the original post seemed like the easiest way to fix the problem :) 

36th - Lady and the Tramp

191pts - 18 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: 55th Up 19)

Was pleased to see this one get some love

Yeah it has one of those Disney songs that is not in the best of tastes in the 21st century, but its still a charming tale that ranks umong the upper echelons of films involving talking dogs. Also, who doesn't love / try to reenact this spaghetti scene?

This is a big riser for this late in the list (I can't see many other films increasing 20 spots at this point). 

• Like 9

35th - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

196pts - 17 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 21st Down 14)

The one that started it all...

If this was a list of the most important animations of all time, it would likely come down to this, Toy Story and what... maybe Little Mermaid for the top spot. This film showed that feature length animation was both possible and profitable. 

Watching this film now, there are aspects of it which are obviously dated now (the voice acting for example), but still for something approaching 100 years old (soon-ish) it is a triumph of animated film making and the songs and story can still be enjoyed by new audiences today. 

It has dropped 14 places and I would argue that a position in the top 20 is more suitable than the mid 30s. 

• Like 10

34th - 101 Dalmations

200pts - 18 votes, 1 top 5, 3 top 10 (2014: 42nd Up 8)

I think this may be my favourite talking dog Disney animation... 

101 Dalmations was another of the films that I saw over and over again as a youngling. It had everything a kid wants: a nice little song, bumbling sidekicks, cool crazy villains and just an overall fun sense of adventure. 

I'm personally happy to see this film rank so high and to even increase 8 places. I kind of assumed it would be one of the older Disneys to be slightly forgotten and finish closer to 100th than 30th. I am happy to be wrong. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Princess and the Frog was ok, Tangled was great, Wreck it Ralph was equally great, Frozen was exceptional and this one for me topped all of them. Who cannot love Baymax? Yeah its a generic Marvel origin story in some ways, but the characters make up for this a lot in my eyes (like with a lot of live action Marvel), this will likely be the post PatF Disney animation to date that I watch the most between now and death.

Pretty similar to how I feel about Big Hero 6. I think part of the reason why I like it so much is that at the time I hadn't seen any other Marvel films, and even now only one, so the story doesn't feel generic to me. The characters are great, especially Hiro. There are also a lot of scenes I found very emotionally powerful. The first flight scene is one of my all-time favourites from any film, with absolutely beautiful scenery of San Fransokyo and its surroundings.

I'm the one who put this in their top five. :wub:

Another tangent from me: It's a godddamn shame that Ralph Bakshi has no representation here:

(nsfw)

While I didn't vote for one of his movies (as I've only seen one, and it was a crappy youtube copy), I think it's clear that Bakshi represented one of the few times, if not the only time, an auteur vision came to American animation. And it's really unappreciated how much he bridged the gap from aging Golden Age animators (a few worked on Fritz the Cat) to his proteges who direct major animated features at Dreamworks, Pixar and WDAS.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1