chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

16th - Zootopia

307pts - 20 votes, 1 FIRST, 1 top 5 3 top 10 (New Entry)

I'll give this film credit, I rate this film as one of the top 3 animated films of 2016 :)

I admit when I went to see this back in February, I was not expecting a great deal. I was positive because it was Disney, but the trailers and concept did not grab me like say Big Hero 6 did, or Moana does. However what I got was a film that was funnier and deeper than I expected and I enjoyed the heck out of it. 

I still personally place it below Big Hero and Frozen, maybe on par with Tangled and Wreck it Ralph but it is still a great animation. (I am still hopeful that Moana can be better though when it gets released here next month). 

As a new film, it is hard to guess how this will fare in future years. Will it increase as it turns out to improve with age, or will it fall as it turns out to be a film that doesn't age well? Only time will tell. 

• Like 11

15th - Up

309pts - 23 votes, 6 top 10 (2014: 18th: Up 3)

The film that we all remember as amazing because we all only remember about 7 minutes of it.

Yeah, I know that is not exactly true, but this film is elevated in many minds I believe because of that opening montage. Can you imagine if that had been a stand alone short before a different Pixar feature? I think it would upstage any film it was put in front of. 

The main story is still very good, Doug is funny and the boy/Carl relationship develops really well. It is a fun fantasy from a period when Pixar did no wrong and I think some may be surprised that it ended up outside the top 10. 

An increase of 3 places is pretty big at this stage in the list. Puts it 8th in the list of Pixar films on this list. 

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

14th place is the final film on the list that I actively dislike, so give me time to come up with a way of pretending that I consider it worthy of 140th let alone 14th :)   

Well, I have an idea of what's coming up but I won't spoil it for others. Suffice it to say that I'll be able to forgive you if 14th place is a Pixar film. But if it's Disney, Dreamworks, or Ghibli... :angry:

Spoiler

I kid, I won't take it personally.

Spoiler

But I will forever question your taste. :ph34r:

Edited by Jason

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Well, I have an idea of what's coming up but I won't spoil it for others. Suffice it to say that I'll be able to forgive you if 14th place is a Pixar film. But if it's Disney, Dreamworks, or Ghibli... :angry:

Reveal hidden contents

Well I've already said that the only Ghibli film I've ever hated was Howl and that has already passed, so there's that :) 

• Like 1

14th - Finding Nemo

334pts - 22 votes, 1 FIRST, 3 top 5, 2 top 10 (2014: 10th: Down 4)

Hey, a super generic Road trip film almost made the top 10!

Yeah, as much as I love Pixar films (there are only 2.5 I do not like and they all involve animals trying to find their way home via wacky adventure - Nemo, Good Dinosaur and Dory to a lesser extent.), this film does nothing for me. The story has been done 100 times before but this time there's a sidekick in Dory that you just want to murder every time she fucking opens her mouth.

Maybe the first 5 minutes are a bit said, but after that the film just descends into nothing and I am glad that it fell from 2 years ago. This is just one of those films where my opinion and the opinion of the masses is always going to differ and we just need to celebrate the wonder of subjectivity :) 

• Like 10

13th - Ratatouille

334pts - 24 votes, 2 top 5, 3 top 10 (2014: 7th: Down 6)

The best animated food ever. At times, you just want to do what the characters of Sausage Party did.

I always thought this was an underrated classic in the Pixar Pantheon, but it turns out it is another film that has consistently finished in the upper echelons of these lists. The film is damn charming which I love and its nice to see a Pixar film that isn't a Road trip variant :P 

Dropping 6 places is steep, but there are so many all time classics at this point in the list that there just isn't enough room for everyone. In two years time, this could easily be top 5 or close to exiting top 20 depending on the forum members of the time. 

• Like 14

I would argue that at this point, the top 12 only contains 2 or 3 films that people who consider stand absolutely zero chance of finishing 1st.

In fact 7 of the top 12 did hold the top spot at some point even after at least ten lists had been submitted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

15th - Up

309pts - 23 votes, 6 top 10 (2014: 18th: Up 3)

The film that we all remember as amazing because we all only remember about 7 minutes of it.

Yeah, I know that is not exactly true, but this film is elevated in many minds I believe because of that opening montage. Can you imagine if that had been a stand alone short before a different Pixar feature? I think it would upstage any film it was put in front of. 

The main story is still very good, Doug is funny and the boy/Carl relationship develops really well. It is a fun fantasy from a period when Pixar did no wrong and I think some may be surprised that it ended up outside the top 10. 

An increase of 3 places is pretty big at this stage in the list. Puts it 8th in the list of Pixar films on this list. 

I am fairly certain you meant 9th. I went over the list of Pixar films and the 2014 list a dozen times, and it's just not possible that one of the remaining Pixar films didn't make the list AT ALL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lolifofo said:

I am fairly certain you meant 9th. I went over the list of Pixar films and the 2014 list a dozen times, and it's just not possible that one of the remaining Pixar films didn't make the list AT ALL.

Yes, there are seven remaining Pixar films to come, plus Nemo, which makes Up 9th.

29 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Is someone compiling a master list?

I've been making one, was planning on waiting until the end to post it, since we're so close anyway. The last one I posted went down to the the 54th spot, here.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 10:43 PM, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

How about we end this argument with the fact that Moana trumps all other Disney princesses on the scale of independence and saving people.

Mulan saved China B)

Pinocchio is a masterpiece and far too low

Frozen - cute but massively overrated

I liked your Nemo post because of the film - not your write-up <_<

The first minutes of Up are brilliant A+, he rest of the movie is more B+

Edited by TalismanRing

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Mulan saved China B)

Pinocchio is a masterpiece and far too low

Frozen - cute but massively overrated

I liked your Nemo post because of the film - not your write-up <_<

The first minutes of Up are brilliant A+, he rest of the movie is more B+

Zootopia is more entertaining than all of those. B)

Except maybe Pinocchio. Need to watch that one again.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:04 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Same. Up has one of the strongest opening sequences in animation but then just coasts on that for the rest of the film. MI should have been higher than Up.

Not the same. Opening sequence was too sentimental for my taste.

9 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not the same. Opening sequence was too sentimental for my taste.

Same for MI > Up :P 

Generally speaking though, Up is the greatest example of first impression is the last impression. Otherwise all of 16-20 (and even Ralph, Mulan and Shrek) should place above it IMO.