chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

80th - The Brave Little Toaster

92pts - 7 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: 133rd, Up 53)

One of those secret Disney films in disguise...

It's been nearly 25 years since I have seen this film so my grasp of the details is vague at this point, but just the fact that this was worked on by half of Pixar suggests that there should be a level of quality to this film. The film is a great smaller film that could easily have been forgotten by now so to see it continue to have a following nearly 30 years later is a testament to its staying power. 

Moving up 53 places is a good result too so there must be some love among the new voters too. 

• Like 9

79th - Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Wererabbit

92pts - 11 votes,  (2014: 38th, Down 41)

Finally, a plastacine film I have seen. 

Wallace and Gromit has always had its charm and this film is no exception. It's a lovely fun film I would maybe argue that the elongated length sacrifices a little of the charm of the original short films, but it is still a really fine film that deserves the praise it gets.

A 40 place drop is pretty steep though, the highest film from the previous list to appear on this one. 

• Like 9

78th - The Secret World of Arrietty 

93pts - 10 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: 156th, Up 78)

The English Language Dub in that trailer actually sounds pretty great. 

Of the Ghibli films that I have not seen, I think Arrietty ranks 2nd on my 'I will watch these eventually list' (It may even be in first place by the end of this countdown if all goes according to plan. 

Years and Years ago, the BBC (or maybe ITV), did an excellent Borrowers live-action mini-series that I really enjoyed and so the idea of a Borrowers animation from Ghibli really appeals to me. The concept is right in the wheelhouse of what Ghibli does well universe wise and the book is ripe for animated adaptation. 

It is also a massive increaser from 2014. I t may even be the lowest ranked film from 2014 to appear on this list from this point onwards. 

• Like 10

77th - Peter Pan 

95pts - 10 votes, 1 first place  (2014: 46th, Down 31)

Dear God! Michael has no face!!! And Wendy's Mouth?

A bit of classic Disney, it has been so long. Peter Pan is a classic in every sense: the songs are timeless, the characters memorable and I can attest that 5 year olds in Korea still love what this film has to offer today. 

There are parts of it that have not aged well (yeah, that song) and it never struck me until now that Fairy dust is procured by spanking Tinkerbell on the arse. Overall though, it's still a wonderful piece of Disney magic. 

A drop of 30 is a shame, some of those will be due to the strength of animation the past couple of years and the rise of exposure to the Japanese stuff. But still a shame. 

• Like 8

76th - Song of the Sea 

96pts - 8 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: N/A)

So, there are 10 films left on the list that I have not seen (I semi-hope to have seen two of them by the end of the list), 5 of them are in the next 8 films listed. Including this one...

This may be the highest placed non-American animation that is not from Japan (There is at least one film left that may discredit this claim on a technicality, but I am not sure). I have already heard this films praises be sung earlier in the thread from when Secret of the Kells got its reveal and there is clearly a similar style going on here. 

The highest rated film to receive 8 votes. (There are two films to come that received 7, 5 got 9 and everything else is double figures.  

• Like 8

75th - The Tale of Princess Kaguya 

97pts - 7 votes, 1 top 5, 2 top 10  (2014: N/A)

The visuals here look more like they fit with the previous entry than from Ghibli. 

Not that that is a criticism or a compliment, just that the main thing that struck me when I saw trailers for this was that it didn't look like how a Ghibli film looks when  imagine one in my head. This film performed very strongly on a votes per voter scale with 3 out of 7 voters placing it in the top 10. That is pretty impressive. 

Will be interesting to see if this races upwards or drops down in the next list as more people get round to seeing it. (Especially if there is still nothing new to see from the studio by then).

• Like 10

74th - Persepolis 

98pts - 7 votes,  (2014: 77th Up 3)

That moment that you realise that your 'highest non-Japanese, non-USA animation claim of two film ago is already negated. 

Yeah I think I had Metropolis (which was 202nd) in my head as I scanned over Persepolis and they are not really the same. This is another film I know nothing about and thus can't really add a lot of value to this post. It is the highest rated film to not receive 8 votes or higher so another film with strong support from the people that have watched it. 

Has pretty much not moved in two years which is good going for a lower profile film. 

• Like 9

73rd - The Book of Life 

99pts - 9 votes,  (2014: N/A)

The most underrated animation of the past 3 years. 

I love this film. It is so much fun and the characters are so easy to get behind. The songs are also great and it has infinite rewatchability. I literally watched this 4 times in a week at work a couple months back and it was enjoyable each time. 

I am really happy that this scored so high and I hope this inspires more to watch it in the future. 

• Like 8

72nd - Kiki's Delivery Service 

99pts - 9 votes, 1 top 5  (2014: 66th Down 6)

The true story of the lesser-known and ultimately unsuccessful rival to Fed-Ex

We are back with Ghibli and the final film to miss out on the 100 points mark. Kiki falls into that group of Ghibli films that are so famous it comes to mind whenever i try to think of a Japanese animation, but doesn't quite make the cut of horrifically tiny number of said animations that I actually watched. 

Judging from that screen cap it is the story of a little black cat that mind controls a young girl into piloting a small broomstick in order for it to pluck unsuspecting seagulls from the air as they fly. Was I close?

Another film that barely moved since 2014, I will give a clue for the next film that it also has barely moved any spots in 2 years...  

• Like 8

The Brave Little Toaster is awesome.  Half Pixar/ Half UCB.  Phil Hartman's song doing a Peter Lorre impression is still one of my favorites.

I really hope these make it.  It would be crazy if they didn't:

The Secret of Nimh

Animal Farm

Charlotte's Web

The Adventures of Ichabob and Mr. Toad

Iron Giant

The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Antz (kicks a Bug's Life's ass)

Emperor's New Groove

Ferngully

Edited by Thegun

22 hours ago, Kalo said:

I haven't seen any of the last 5 listed. Kiki's Delivery Service is on my watchlist though. As for the others.. eh I may watch a couple of them eventually.

Kiki is lovely.  Though, of the 4 of the last 5 that I've seen I'd rank it 4th.  The Book of Life is also wonderful.  

Princess and Kaguya and Song Of The Sea are on an entirely differently level - they're works of art.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnnY said:

I need to watch Song of the Sea and The Book of Life...

nah, you reaaaaaallly don't need to see 'em.

But if I had to choose, I would pick Song of the Sea for sure. At least that movie is pretty and has some integrity.

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills when people say Book of Life is good. It goes to show how low the standards for animation has sunk again after Pixar and Ghibli upped the bar in last two decades I guess.

Edited by Goffe