chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

23rd - Shrek

242pts - 20 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 20th: Down 2)

A film that made Dreamworks a force that people actually noticed in the world of animation. 

Toy story was the film that brought me back to animation (which i saw in about 1998 I think), but it was Toy Story 2 and Shrek that really got me back into watching animation as an event. This film made me laugh a lot but also made me care about the lead characters. Every character works and you enjoy being a part of their journey.

Of course looking back now, you can see how a lot of it was a big fuck you to Disney, what with Lord Fuckwad and all. But I still enjoy watching this film whenever it is on and it is one of Dreamworks' best to this day.

Sad to see it drop out of the top 20, but 22nd is still a good finish.  

I guess this is 22nd? It says 23rd but shows a drop of just 2 places from 2014's 20th rank and you said 22nd in the description as well. 

• Like 1

22nd - Mulan

243pts - 18 votes, 2 top 10 (2014: 17th: Down 5)

Best Disney princess ever!!!

So out of all the Disney animations that I never bothered watching first time around, this one turned out to be the best. I saw this for the first time about 6 months after a saw Frozen in cinemas and all I could really think was 'Why is Frozen getting all this credit for stuff that Mulan did a decade earlier?'. (Of course Frozen was great, but it was given credit for breaking ground that it turns out Disney had already broke.).

This is also the live action film in the works that I am most excited about. It's a great story and the voice work is brilliant. This ranks as my clear 4th best Disney animation and I wish it had made the top 20.

A drop of 5 places is a shame but not a massive drop. Personally hoped it was going to make top 20 though. 

• Like 13

21st - Wreck it Ralph

248pts - 21 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 27th: Up 6)

I loved this, but if Mario is not in the sequel I am going to cave some VR skulls. 

I was surprised how well this did in the poll. Don't get me wrong, I think the film is great, I had it in the 30s. But out of the Tangled, WIR, Frozen, BH6 foursome, I personally place this film 4th and it is now clear I am in a minority with having that opinion. 

(I repeat, placing it 4th in that list is like saying out of Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Back to the Future and Terminator 2, I place Terminator 4th. It is 4th out of 4 Godlike films.)

That said, out of the 21st century animations currently penciled in for a cinematic sequel, I think this is the one with the easiest job of reproducing the magic of the original and so is my most anticipated. 

A rise of 6 places is a strong contrast to the past couple of Disney entries and their small drops. It's a good position for a deserving film. But 7th best Disney animation ever... I'm not sure.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

So out of all the Disney animations that I never bothered watching first time around, this one turned out to be the best. I saw this for the first time about 6 months after a saw Frozen in cinemas and all I could really think was 'Why is Frozen getting all this credit for stuff that Mulan did a decade earlier?'. (Of course Frozen was great, but it was given credit for breaking ground that it turns out Disney had already broke.).

Mulan is underrated af (yes, it is recognized but not to the extent that it REALLY should be). But unfortunately (and surprisingly) it fails the Bechdel Test (a test to see if a movie has a scene where two women characters have a conversation about anything other than men and pleasing men). In terms of Disney Princess movies, Mulan was very refreshing in that it not only had a living, breathing mother but also an awesome grandmother! Sadly though, these matriarch figures aren't really shown to influence Mulan all that much. Her mom's just worried she'll never be a proper bride and her granny, while very chill and amazing, doesn't really get to do much either other than a few fun sound bites.

In that aspect, Frozen was breaking ground in that the entire movie revolves around the bond between two women (two sisters in this case) and the trials they go through for each other. 

I actually find the upholding of Belle as some super groundbreaking feminist figure to be more of a head scratcher while Ariel gets dumped on for "giving up her voice for a dude". I mean, didn't Belle give up her freedom for her father's too? And Ariel did thwart sharks and rescue princes from burning shipwrecks...

disneyprincess.png 

:P 

• Like 4

I sincerely thought that Fantasia would be quite lower in the ranking. It is a so strange film that would had been impossible to be done today. And if it had been done, it would be a failure (I am really surprised that it adjusts to $715m in US). I do not see any studio investing in an animated film with some abstract stories without dialogues and just classic music. One of the riskier films in the history. I see it as something magical that takes me to another place. I do not only think it is the best animated film, but I have it among my top 10 films ever.

6 hours ago, peludo said:

I sincerely thought that Fantasia would be quite lower in the ranking. It is a so strange film that would had been impossible to be done today. And if it had been done, it would be a failure (I am really surprised that it adjusts to $715m in US). I do not see any studio investing in an animated film with some abstract stories without dialogues and just classic music. One of the riskier films in the history. I see it as something magical that takes me to another place. I do not only think it is the best animated film, but I have it among my top 10 films ever.

It was actually a flop until release, largely down to a lot of theaters refusing to release it, due to the format it was in. The 715m adjustment comes from all the re-releases it had.

They actually tried doing another Fantasia with Fantasia 2000, but it was much sloppier, and uneven, and featured some unnecessary celebrities opening each short. It also wasn't very financially successful.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It was actually a flop until release, largely down to a lot of theaters refusing to release date, due to the format it was in. The 715m adjustment comes from all the re-releases it had.

They actually tried doing another Fantasia with Fantasia 2000, but it was much sloppier, and uneven, and featured some unnecessary celebrities opening each short. It also wasn't very financially successful.

I was conscious of the initial failure. It cost nearly $3m and it grossed $1.3m during the 2 first years. And nearly every Disney classic has been released several times. I have read in wikipedia that Fantasia has had 11 re-releases.

And yes, we can not have a better proof than Fantasia 2000 to know that this kind of film can not do not work today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, peludo said:

I was conscious of the initial failure. It cost nearly $3m and it grossed $1.3m during the 2 first years. And nearly every Disney classic has been released several times. I have read in wikipedia that Fantasia has had 11 re-releases.

And yes, we can not have a better proof than Fantasia 2000 to know that this kind of film can not do not work today.

Fantasia 2000 wasn't bad, but it would have been better served by having more sequences like the Firebird instead of some of the goofier stuff.

But yes, a movie like Fantasia couldn't be made today, and if it did it'd probably a Foreign arthouse animated film, instead of a wider released movie.

• Like 2

Wow @ WiR almost top 20! Here I thought I was one of the few who held it in such high regard. 

Adding to the "Frozen did it first" fire, I still would love to know why damn near everyone straight up ignores the fact that Rapunzel has to save Flynn's life by being willing to sacrifice her own. Ring any bells Frozen fans? 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Fantasia 2000 wasn't bad, but it would have been better served by having more sequences like the Firebird instead of some of the goofier stuff.

But yes, a movie like Fantasia couldn't be made today, and if it did it'd probably a Foreign arthouse animated film, instead of a wider released movie.

I like that goofier stuff, actually. The issue is that Fantasia 2000 just wasn't marketable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I like that goofier stuff, actually. The issue is that Fantasia 2000 just wasn't marketable.

It wasn't that marketable true, but they sorta spread out it's release date, so they kinda stretched it's box office slightly thin. It wouldn't have done too much better, but hey. I'm sure the film sold well on video though.

20th - The Lego Movie

255pts - 19 votes, 3 top 5, 2 top 10 (2014: 25th: Up 5)

Like WWZ when discussing reshoots, this will be the film we always reference every time a ridiculous animated film idea gets announced (Emoji, Pez etc)

This film was not supposed to be this good was it? It wasn't supposed to even be passable and yet turned out to be the biggest Oscar snub of 2014. That's madness. This film is funny, charming, even clever, and is so rewatchable. It will be interesting to see if Lego Batman turns out to be a Puss in Boots (good and fun spin off) or a Minions (not as great). 

It's also gone up 5 places which is a nice little surprise. I kind of think that it deserves it, makes it the second highest placed animation to have zero input from Disney in any way. 

• Like 10

19th - Monsters Inc

277pts - 23 votes, 1 top 10 (2014: 14th: Down 5)

Ok, this was good, but top 20 good?

I was even more surprised to see that it was 14th 2 years ago. But yeah this film was an odd one as it just kept receiving vote after vote after vote from everybody (I think it was the last film to lose its 100% votes received record.) but despite all the votes it looked for a long time that it wouldn't receive a single top 10 vote. It was an odd run. 

This is a lovely charming film, it's great and I'd watch it tomorrow if it was on. Just feel that it suffers a little when compared up against the other films Pixar put up in the years surrounding it. 

It did drop 5 places since the last list. But still managed a strong finish with the new competition that has taken the list by storm. 

• Like 9

18th - Pinocchio

284pts - 17 votes, 1 FIRST, 3 top 5 4 top 10 (2014: 19th: Up 1)

The final film to receive 17 votes, or less than 18, or less than 19. there's one film left with 20 votes. 

This is the highest rated classic animation on the list (I think everything else is 90s or later). Pinocchio was the first time that Disney showed it could go really dark with its features (admitted it was only film two and Snow White did have that creepy woods bit at the beginning, so really this is just me filling empty space isn't it?).

The animation is incredible for 75 years ago and when you look at those opening 5 Disney features, you can understand why this one turns out to be the winner. It probably has the strongest story of the 5 and the most continued scenes that adults will appreciate. 

It has increased 1 spot since 2014 which shows the continued longevity of such a beloved classic. 

• Like 10

17th - Frozen

298pts - 21 votes, 2 FIRST, 3 top 5 1 top 10 (2014: 13th: Down 4)

It's 3 years later and Let It Go is still the number one foreign song at Korean Karaoke.

You know when I first saw this film I was amazed at how good it was. The songs were the best in 20 years and the story was strong and engaging. It felt like a film one could watch over and over again. 

And then Korean kids watched it, and I got to experience the joy of exposure to the song over and over and over and over andover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and you know what... I still don't hate it. I should, but I don't. It actually is a film you can watch/listen to forever.

It's dropped 4 places since the 'BEST FILM EVA!!!!!!!!' days of yore, but 17th is still strong and about right in my opinion. Makes it officially the 5th most popular Disney studios animation on the list.  

• Like 9