kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone ever stop to think maybe Zegler just had a brain fart for the word she was looking for with the “stalker” thing? She goes on to elaborate their relationship dynamic is weird, and she’s 100% right. He shows up to kiss and save her at the end and then they are literally in love. It’s weird af. That’s likely what she was trying to get across, and maybe chose the wrong word for what she meant with “stalker”. It’s really not a big deal, geez. Also wouldn’t be shocked if Disney deliberately wanted someone who didn’t love the original if they’re drastically reimagining.

It’s not like Ariel, where people today still love the OG character, and she was praised for her independence at the time (though I think OG Ariel is a problematic character but that’s another story). 

I agree the relationship is weird and the kiss at the end and they just in love is cringe but it has absolutely zero colleration with stalking . Alot of early romance stories had that fall in love instant trope .

Even highschool and pre teen movies today still have that trope and oh boy some of those movies today are more guilty of having stalker vibes than 1937 snow white.

Stalker comment  is just dumb and I can say anyone being reasonably being offended by it but ofcorse not to the extent of calling her the devil or sending her hateful messages.

A lot of these issues with the original fairytale or the 1937 adaptation could be solved by writing the screenplay in such a way that Snow White and the Prince develop a relationship before the Queen cuts in and forces her to flee into the forest.

Instead they turn her into a #girlboss because she don’t need no man.

This movie shouldn’t be made. There are some things that should remain sacred and Disney’s Snow White is one of those things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

A lot of these issues with the original fairytale or the 1937 adaptation could be solved by writing the screenplay in such a way that Snow White and the Prince develop a relationship before the Queen cuts in and forces her to flee into the forest.

This movie shouldn’t be made. There are some things that should remain sacred and Disney’s Snow White is one of those things.

Oh have you seen the movie?

26 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Greta Gerwig is one of the writers so the script should should be good. But I'm expecting Snow to make a passionate feminist speech that will make women weep.

This is a hard one to talk about because there obviously are a lot of bad-faith grifters(especially on youtube, I call them 'the beirdos') seizing on the 'stalker' comments(among some other recent things she said about the original movie) and blowing it way out of proportion(like they do for everything) for hate-clicks/ad revenues, but I do think it kinda speaks to a trend in very recent years that's starting to get under more people's skin where popular classic stories that people have grown up with and loved for decades are now deemed 'problematic' or no good because they no longer perfectly align with post-2015 academia/social norms.

I haven't seen Snow White since I was like 8 years old(I'm 33 now) so I don't remember everything about it, but there was a certain Amazon show recently where the producers and some of the cast were constantly throwing indirect shade at the source material in every other interview, sometimes even in an arrogant condescending tone.  I understand this is probably one of the more extreme examples, but I don't think you need to be a MAGA chud or youtube grifter to roll your eyes at some of the comments coming out of Hollywood or the page 1 rewrites they do(some of which are starting to feel like cliched tropes) regarding older classic stories and slapping the original's name on top of it.

I don't know, sometimes I think the world has gone full stupid and people are just making up controversies to bitch about online when none are really there(and if there are, usually blown way out of proportion for that person's target audience).

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, wildphantom said:

“Outdated and clumsy in many ways”

never thought I’d hear the day when anybody could honestly say that about one of the greatest films ever made. 

SNow White, 1937, was a hugely important film..first feature length animated film and the first really big sucess for Technicolor; but it just does not stand up as a film as well as some others from the period. 'Pinnoichio" which was Disney's next feature length animated film, is much better.Despite it huge sucess, Disney made some rookie mistakes on Snow white. To be expected, since no one had ever done anything like that before.

And, btw, I am one of the handful of people on this site who LOVE  Golden age cinema.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Wrong., If you are going to pontificate about a movie, you should have actually have seen the damn thing.

Yes, in all other cases, but with Disney if something smells very bad, it's most certainly gonna be bad. You don't have to taste crap every time to know it's crap.

20 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yes, in all other cases, but with Disney if something smells very bad, it's most certainly gonna be bad. You don't have to taste crap every time to know it's crap.

I have not liked ANY of the live action reamkes of classic animated films, and this one does not look that good,but I think the hatred for Zegler is just ridiculous.

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Why do people keep saying "this doesn't look good". Nothing has even been released for it! Like, am I going crazy??? 

That photo of the "Dwarves" sent up a lot of red flags.

The basic design was just plain bad.

Zegler's not the problem. Disney's PR team is the real issue here, cause every single dumb thing that came out of Rachel's mouth had to be approved by the PR team before she spoke out. Iger should fire them all and change the marketing strategy if they want to salvage this project.

• Heart 1
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I get the very annoying feeling that they're gonna try to turn this into a Brie Larson thing

Brie Larson, Anne Hathaway, Rachel Zegler, etc etc. If a young woman speaks her mind, the internet turns them into a monster. 

• Like 2