kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Mate if your only source of info on this movie is this thread, then you would think this movie had a rotten rating and is heading for a disaster at the BO. It’s filled with people either concern trolling or those who knows diddly squat about box office (ironic considering the site we are on). 

Also just generally people who overreact to every little piece of news that comes out.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder what an ideal Deadpool movie looks like if it came from people who hate both the character and the genre.

Deadpool is not for everyone. He's basically if you put Looney Tunes, John Wick, and American Pie in a blender. If you hate the premise why should you say it's a bad movie. It's made for the target audience. 

It’s funny to say it’s not for everyone when this one is going to open to $200 mil lol. Also these movies would be liked more by these critics if it had even a bit of actual Looney Tunes-tier physical comedy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Deadpool is not for everyone. He's basically if you put Looney Tunes, John Wick, and American Pie in a blender. If you hate the premise why should you say it's a bad movie. It's made for the target audience. 

If he's not for everyone then you shouldn't be that surprised that some people give the movie negative reviews

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m sure Marvel would love if every writer with critical thinking vanish

It's not critical thinking to say "makes me think mainstream cinema might not be salvageable". Dude is just trying to go viral on twitter.

Nothing can be just in between best movie ever and worst movie ever. He's just as bad as all the "fanboys critics" who people like to hate on for loving everything and touting it as the best ever.

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just like China, Hollywood movie grosses in South Korea have gone down significantly post pandemic. Since MCU movies were the biggest Hollywood movies in SK pre pandemic, they have been the biggest affected by this trend. But this has affected all movies. 

That wasn't the point, I'm just saying this market is not inherently hostile to CBM, it's not Japan lol. Hollywood (and really the market in general sadly, even local films) has taken a big hit yeah but MCU can still do well, GOTG3 increased a solid amount over 2, MoM OD was huge etc.

Granted SK also is much different reception from western markets as it seems to be one of the few markets where audiences just aren't into it.

That said not sure if I'm one of the guys being included in the concern trolling or whatever (I don't like the concept behind this film fwiw so if anything I've always been open about that) but like I said the numbers are still really fucking big and if anything the only disappointment would be compared to how big the forecasts were looking in some markets.

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

It’s funny to say it’s not for everyone when this one is going to open to $200 mil lol. Also these movies would be liked more by these critics if it had even a bit of actual Looney Tunes-tier physical comedy

Deadpool is not four quadrant. It's not for families, seniors or prudes.

I doubt critics would like it simply with more toon physics. Son of the Mask had toon physics. :sparta:

9 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Like this is just hyperbole at this point.

Worst movie I’ve ever seen? These people are just looking for a reaction.  

There’s a group of these film critics on Twitter that just sing from the same hymn sheet. 

I also blame the absence of free will every time someone has an opinion I don't like about something they've seen and I haven't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If he's not for everyone then you shouldn't be that surprised that some people give the movie negative reviews

I'm not surprised but let's not pretend critical thinking is the issue when it's about not being part of the target audience.

People who love something like Space Jam don't lack critical thinking. They fully embrace the premise.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I also blame the absence of free will every time someone has an opinion I don't like about something they've seen and I haven't.

What are you talking about? I’ve seen the film first of all.

That guy can whatever opinion he wants but his comment is hyperbole. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

That wasn't the point, I'm just saying this market is not inherently hostile to CBM, it's not Japan lol. Hollywood (and really the market in general sadly, even local films) has taken a big hit yeah but MCU can still do well, GOTG3 increased a solid amount over 2, MoM OD was huge etc.

Granted SK also is much different reception from western markets as it seems to be one of the few markets where audiences just aren't into it.

That said not sure if I'm one of the guys being included in the concern trolling or whatever (I don't like the concept behind this film fwiw so if anything I've always been open about that) but like I said the numbers are still really fucking big and if anything the only disappointment would be compared to how big the forecasts were looking in some markets.

The MCU has lost alot of goodwill since MOM.

Deadpool appeals to casuals. That's the main reason it's going to smash records.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not surprised but let's not pretend critical thinking is the issue when it's about not being part of the target audience.

People who love something like Space Jam don't lack critical thinking. They fully embrace the premise.

I doubt I'm gonna agree with Guy Lodge's hyperbolic "non-target audience" opinion, but he's still entitled to it. You can't take every little negative tweet that gets shared here as a personal affront. Some people are gonna hate it and are gonna blow off emotional steam about it being melodramatic on twitter. That's just the way the world works now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wonder what an ideal Deadpool movie looks like if it came from people who hate both the character and the genre.

I’ve seen most of these people praising SHM before, i don’t think the problem is the genre. 

Many of these short tweets is less about the movie itself and more about the implications of it, what it represents in modern cinema which is indeed dreadful, and i like these movies (overall). No movie exists in a vacuum so it’s very fair imo that the cultural and production aspects around it can be part of a review.

How long can you sustain an industry making movies that cares the most about throwing everything fans want in their faces? I do think there’s something interesting to create about it in movies, i don’t know if they did in this one because i’m watching on SAT, but conceptually it makes sense to question these things. You can see this discussion more clearly in the more lengthy reviews of the movie.

I think people gets mad at this type of opinions because they can’t accept that reviews always have personal opinions in them and usually includes outside factors in them. People praising it falls in the same category, but people accept it because it’s closer to what they want to hear. When it’s a bad review, most people want some neutral analytical texts that is just anti-criticism in it’s core.

Anyway, this is a bit too long than i would like, but i just think we should be able to read bad reviews or more cultural critical pieces and be fine with it, they’re not some personal attack neither should make you like it less.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I doubt I'm gonna agree with Guy Lodge's hyperbolic "non-target audience" opinion, but he's still entitled to it. You can't take every little negative tweet that gets shared here as a personal affront. Some people are gonna hate it and are gonna blow off emotional steam about it being melodramatic on twitter. That's just the way the world works now.

Critics recieving skepticism  for saying DP3 marks the end of cinema is no more outrageous than fanboy praise recieving skepticism.

24 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It's not critical thinking to say "makes me think mainstream cinema might not be salvageable". Dude is just trying to go viral on twitter.

Nothing can be just in between best movie ever and worst movie ever. He's just as bad as all the "fanboys critics" who people like to hate on for loving everything and touting it as the best ever.

I mean, most of the people that are having “bad” tweets being posted here does have lengthy pieces talking about the movie with depth and interesting perspectives, i guess people just aren’t interest in engage with it beyond the tweets they get mad about. It is part of critical thinking, it’s simply a small package of it to make people interested in the full texts, there’s nothing wrong with it this type of promotion lol.

I agreed that it’s truly no different than the “it’s the best thing ever” type of tweets, with that said, you don’t see people getting mad with those, did you? There’s a reason for it.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Just now, grey ghost said:

Critics recieving skepticism  for saying DP3 marks the end of cinema is no more outrageous than fanboy praise recieving skepticism.

Save the whatabouts. Skepticism of out-of-premiere reactions is reasonable for any movie, not just this one.

9 minutes ago, exomassey said:

What are you talking about? I’ve seen the film first of all.

That guy can whatever opinion he wants but his comment is hyperbole. 

No it's not. You're assuming bad faith for no solid reason. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’ve seen most of these people praising SHM before, i don’t think the problem is the genre. 

Many of these short tweets is less about the movie itself and more about the implications of it, what it represents in modern cinema which is indeed dreadful, and i like these movies (overall). No movie exists in a vacuum so it’s very fair imo that the cultural and production aspects around it can be part of a review.

How long can you sustain an industry making movies that cares the most about throwing everything fans want in their faces? I do think there’s something interesting to create about it in movies, i don’t know if they did in this one because i’m watching on SAT, but conceptually it makes sense to question these things. You can see this discussion more clearly in the more lengthy reviews of the movie.

I think people gets mad at this type of opinions because they can’t accept that reviews always have personal opinions in them and usually includes outside factors in them. People praising it falls in the same category, but people accept it because it’s closer to what they want to hear. When it’s a bad review, most people want some neutral analytical texts that is just anti-criticism in it’s core.

Anyway, this is a bit too long than i would like, but i just think we should be able to read bad reviews or more cultural critical pieces and be fine with it, they’re not some personal attack neither should make you like it less.

I agree.

I guess I just see it as a Deadpool movie. Deadpool is what is it and it was marketed as such with rumours of big cameos, gore, silly jokes and all that. 

‘The Death of Cinema’ talk is just hyperbole. Dune 2 made like 700 millions dollars, we’re fine lol.

• Like 2