kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

99% of the reviews have been great for this Deadpool, I think. 

The major/press critics seem like they like it way less. Guess we'll see how it lands overl since the geek outlets also have press access

4 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Strange and Thor has been feeding of the avengers teams euphoria and were still shaky and started to lose market but as for Iron man it comes down to the charms and charisma of RDJ he is easily one of the best actors I have ever seen especially after his Tropic thunder character I have mad respect for him as an actor and can pull of anything but if you recast Iron man it will fall flat on it´s nose you can simply not recast the charism RDJ. It is just gonna be a guy wearing fency robots. 

The bread and butter of DC or Marvel will always remain no matter how many times you recast them and in every decade. Batman, Wolverine, Spider-man and Even Superman you can recast them over and over again it will continue because they keep selling comic books 

These movies do NOT get made because they "keep selling comic books". Comic book sales are miniscule now.

Levy is probably the rare filmmaker where “audiences like him more than critics” actually applies. He’s had hit after hit despite only one of his movies getting generally positive reviews. So even if the reviews on this are mixed (I don’t expect them to be mostly bad) I imagine general audiences will dig it way more.

I really hope I don’t accidentally start audience vs critics discourse.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The major/press critics seem like they like it way less. Guess we'll see how it lands overl since the geek outlets also have press access

Well shit. Hope it's like a Guardians 3 situation where a lot of the major press critics were not crazy about it but the geek/online bloggers  and critics did and the audiences followed.

5 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Levy is probably the rare filmmaker where “audiences like him more than critics” actually applies. He’s had hit after hit despite only one of his movies getting generally positive reviews. So even if the reviews on this are mixed (I don’t expect them to be mostly bad) I imagine general audiences will dig it way more.

I really hope I don’t accidentally start audience vs critics discourse.

feel like his stuff is more hit or miss than that with the GA. The first Night at the Museum, Free Guy, and Real Steel were real audience pleasers but the rest seem to have had mediocre audience reception

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Well shit. Hope it's like a Guardians 3 situation where a lot of the major press critics were not crazy about it but the geek/online bloggers  and critics did and the audiences followed.

Who didn't like Vol 3 and why

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Let's be real here we can learn absolutely nothing from these. Madame Web probably had good social media reactions

21 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

It didn't, that takes a two second google to find out. Why just say random shit lmao

I wouldn't say abracadabra was being random; just a wee bit cynical.  As well as perhaps exaggerating for effect.  😉 

Personally, I think you absolutely can glean a fair amount from early social media reactions.  But it takes a bit of effort in reading between the lines, looking for various "tells" as well as knowing the preferences of various folks.  Plus the even more esoteric art of discerning the level of hype and what is being hyped about and what isn't.

To put it a different way, if folks are just casually glancing, then sure, probably aren't gonna learn much.  But if one wants to put in the effort to read the tea leaves?  Yeah, can get an early read.  

Think of it as being analogous to a read at a poker table.  Sometimes the reads lead you astray, but often times enough they're helpful in establishing the odds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I wouldn't say abracadabra was being random; just a wee bit cynical.  As well as perhaps exaggerating for effect.  😉 

Personally, I think you absolutely can glean a fair amount from early social media reactions.  But it takes a bit of effort in reading between the lines, looking for various "tells" as well as knowing the preferences of various folks.  Plus the even more esoteric art of discerning the level of hype and what is being hyped about and what isn't.

To put it a different way, if folks are just casually glancing, then sure, probably aren't gonna learn much.  But if one wants to put in the effort to read the tea leaves?  Yeah, can get an early read.  

Think of it as being analogous to a read at a poker table.  Sometimes the reads lead you astray, but often times enough they're helpful in establishing the odds.

With what I've understood is that The Cameos and references have WORKED, unlike say Dr Strange 2 whichbwas mixed right off the bat.

People are also talking about chemistry of Ryan & Hugh.

So these things are definitely a crowd pleasing element. 

In a movie titled Deadpool & Wolverine, you'll need Deadpool and Wolverine chemistry and interactions to be on spot.

And in movie dealing with multiverse, you need cameos, references and creativity spot on.

So for from reactions, atleast these two things are seemingly well done 

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If people want to use comparisons they should probably realize saying "Madame Web had good reactions" won't get them taken seriously. People in the movie were saying it sucked during the press tour.

Jokes?  Exaggeration mixed with hyperbole?

On the internet???

Why, I never!?!

(yes, I realize that abracadabra can defend themselves, but I personally took it as a blend of cynicism and exaggeration and thus decided to address the larger point they were making)

((which, I will remind, I disagree with))

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Porthos said:

On the internet???

Why, I never!?!

(yes, I realize that abracadabra can defend themselves, but I personally took it as a blend of cynicism and exaggeration and thus decided to address the larger point they were making)

I mean, jokes should be funny. Just saying "Madame Web had great reactions" isn't funny. Like if you're that desperate for an example you can just exhume The Flash and do the whole GREATEST SUPERHERO MOVIE SINCE THE DARK KNIGHT bit again.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If people want to use comparisons they should probably realize saying "Madame Web had good reactions" won't get them taken seriously. People in the movie were saying it sucked during the press tour.

Point well taken. Perhaps hyperbole is better left off a marvel-related thread

Anyways, I just get a bit chagrined (*in michael Scott blooper voice*) at this dance that many social media people have to do in order to keep receiving invites from studios, like they have to be mostly positive and negative feedback has to be hidden and very delicately balanced. People shit on real critics so much these days but I always admire the ability of independent critics to be honest and genuine, without having to hold back.   

Anyways x2, @Porthos what do the tea leaves tell you here?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

feel like his stuff is more hit or miss than that with the GA. The first Night at the Museum, Free Guy, and Real Steel were real audience pleasers but the rest seem to have had mediocre audience reception

His only real failures were The Internship and This Is where I Leave You. The Night At The Museum sequels had diminishing returns but were still successful. Wasn’t Adam Project one of Netflix’s biggest movies too?

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

On the internet???

Why, I never!?!

Saw this after my post lololol yeah a misjudged post on my part, it’s all good :) 

• Like 1

So spoilers are surfacing for cameos and my word..... I'm shaking 

They have COOKED

Once you see this movie you'll be cursing yourself for not being a Cinema Journalist that you had to wait for this movie, and you couldn't see it with others today.

8 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Anyways x2, @Porthos what do the tea leaves tell you here?

Haven't really read enough to know if it's just random people popping off or not, but an RT anywhere from 60 to 85 wouldn't surprise.  But my "tea leaf" reading is very rusty, hence the large range.

FWIW

DP1 had 85 7.1/10 (Top Critics 71 6.2/10)

DP2 had 84 7.1/10 (Top Critics 68 6.7/10)

Really depends on the how the non-Top Critics view things and how much they like it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2