kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

I think a few things can be true at the same time. Critics can be right about the quality of the film. Critics can be high on their own supply (I mean this is obvious, that's why they're critics). Neither of those things should matter to anyone because everyone has different tastes and different things they want out of movies. Not all movies are trying to accomplish the same things.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I don't get the issue? Were people expecting a masterpiece? 6 years ago there was already a resigned sigh around Deadpool. Like, it's still funny in its OTT nature, but hardly great. Add to that...everything, and this was never going to be the type of breath of fresh air that would facilitate amazing reviews. 

All it needs to be is entertaining, to make money, and Marvel will be happy.

I was expecting to see a notable difference between RT scores for DP1 and DP2 and yet...

DP1  85 7.1/10 (TC 71 6.2/10)

DP2 84 7.1/10 (TC 68 6.7/10)

By one metric (avg score) DP2 had a better reception from the Top Critics!  Okay okay, quite a few reviews won't have an average score, but it is striking to me that DP1 and DP2 had very similar reception from the critics out there despite my impression that DP2 was received worse by "the media".

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Just as a heads up if this drops 65%+ second weekend, it'll be because of poor reception, not this "CBM fatigue" BS

Doing 90 million 2nd weekend after a 210 milliom weekend isn't bad for an R Rated movie i guess.

13 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

One of biggest problem of MoM was turning a fan favorite character into a genocide maniac and other favorite character an incompetent loser.

I don't think Deadpool and Wolverine is going to do that to Deadpool and Wolverine.

This! no idea what casual people didn't like about the movie, but I was (and still am) not happy(to say the least) what they did with Wanda. And I'm definitely far from the only one.

57 minutes ago, Selma said:

What the budget ? It wont tank in box office right ? At least inside out 2 saved Disney ass lol 

Even if it falls off a cliff after Friday it's not missing $160m OW and late Summer legs means it will save face either way. Love and Thunder did 2.4× its opening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Doing 90 million 2nd weekend after a 210 milliom weekend isn't bad for an R Rated movie i guess.

Yeah at a certain point a 60+ drop just doesn't look bad if the OW is high enough. Id say about the 180+ range

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Forgot there might be some lurking on Bluesky so had a look:

bluesky.png

This is pretty much exactly what I mean. That one in the middle, Gholson, is the only middle review I have seen. Everything else is the others

59 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Can reviews really make or break a movie like Deadpool?

I think the same applies to Mario and Despicable Me, movies that didn't get good reviews but people didn't care about them and went to see both.

I love reading reviews ( no matter if they trash or praise a movie ). I can't imagine myself not going to the cinema or going to the cinema just because someone trashed or loved a movie.  If I'm interested, I'll see it. That's all.

Reviews probably matter more for Deadpool (or any CBM for that matter) than it does for Illumination movies. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

This! no idea what casual people didn't like about the movie, but I was (and still am) not happy(to say the least) what they did with Wanda. And I'm definitely far from the only one.

Making Wanda villain basically ruined the movie, when basics are wrong..... 

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

A user named u/RelevationAnimations on Reddit who is very accurate about box office predicted this movie to be panned and therefore have poor legs (2x-ish)

judging by his posting history, not really.