75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

2 hours ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

This generation has Megan Ellison, who might be even better. 

1 hour ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

And yet, Bob and Harvey made a bunch of shitty movies also and were a nightmare to work for. Ellison has better taste (subjective, I know) and the good sense to find quality filmmakers and let them do their thing. Different eras, different strengths.

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm trying to find words to describe Arrival... I don't think there are any

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The Edge of Seventeen is great! Go see it before it disappears, everyone.

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

we can always rely on A24, that's for sure. for me, they're the new Pixar.

44 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Arrival is amazing. If there were any justice in this box office world, it would have expanded its theatre count, increased its per-theatre average, and topped $30 million this weekend.

Truth.gif

Truth.gif

Truth.gif

33 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's germane to the conversation because what made Miramax so successful and influential was their hustle and ruthless ambition. They had to do it in order to survive. They didn't have mommy and daddy writing them $2 billion dollar checks to fall back on. The impact of Sex, Lies alone was bigger than anything Ellison has done or will ever do (the way it revolutionized not only Sundance but also made indies look sexy to the industry by taking them out of arthouses and into the multiplex for the very first time > what daddy's rich little girl is doing). 

So they were successful in different ways. How does that matter to us, as moviegoers? Both use their clout to push challenging and interesting fare into theaters. The Weinsteins popularized indie filmmaking in the 90s, and Ellison is giving quality filmmakers the chance to make their visions, in an era when studio tentpoles threaten to destroy low- and mid-budget theatrical releases. 

I'm glad we have both. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Anyone that has a problem with Megan Ellison or A24 is not a supporter of good film.  Who gives a flying fuck on how or why she has her money, simply be happy that she is has it and is using it to advance some great films.  

gotta love Annapurna. ??

2 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

I think there's no question the Weinsteins personally put more on the line than Ellison did, and there's a lot to admire in their tenacity and commitment to their projects. But as a moviegoer, all I care about is what each company makes. 

Well, as evidenced with Nate Parker, everyone has a line somewhere

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Anyone that has a problem with Megan Ellison or A24 is not a supporter of good film.  Who gives a flying fuck on how or why she has her money, simply be happy that she is has it and is using it to advance some great films.  

Who said I have a problem with Megan Elli$on or A24? He said she's better than the Weinsteins; I disagreed. 

• Like 1