FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

37 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Fantastic Beasts did 9.3m on Tuesday, so I think it is coexisting just fine with Moana.

We'll have to wait until tomorrow (and through the weekend) to see what impact is there. Holdover business in face of preview showings for an animated film doesn't really illustrate much.  The Good Dinosaur made 6.5x its Tuesday previews on that opening Wednesday. If Moana follows suit, you'd have $19.6M of box office being grabbed instead of $2.6M tomorrow. 

EDIT: If the estimate holds, Fantastic Beasts will be up 37% over Monday. That beats out the 33% jump by Mockingjay Pt 2 last year. We'll see if it can match Mockingjay's Wednesday bump of 20%. 

Edited by kswiston

57 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I am interested to see the interaction between Moana and FB. my 13 yr old son wants to see both but is more interested in seeing Moana than FB. 

FB exit tracking was sort of interesting with over 55% over 35 and over 55% female. it basically sounded like FB was able to grab those that grew up with the HP movies but not really expand it's base at all (or even keep it's total HP base). Just reminds me alot of what happened with the Hobbit.

FB will still be a big success because it has always been more of an overseas movie event than a US one (every HP movie had between 67-71% of its total gross from overseas and FB looks like it might be closer to 73-75%). I'm hoping to get out to see both this weekend though given family desires Moana will be first and then FB second if I have a chance to see 2 movies this weekend, or will have to wait another week or two if I don't end up having the time.

I think my 13 yr old's movie order for the holidays is currently R1 first, Moana 2nd, Sing 3rd, FB 4th.

You raised him right!   ? ?? ?

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Beatty's so gonna be pissed when he sees the box office numbers, considering his ego.

It boggles my mind that the first thing he's done in 15 years looks so...inconsequential. But then the last time he was on-screen, it was the notorious bomb Town & Country (look up that movie's production history if you're bored, no joke), so...

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Beatty's so gonna be pissed when he sees the box office numbers, considering his ego.

Warren Beatty is an asshole his sister(Shirley Mclaine) is just as bad if not worse. He needs to just relax, and realize that this isn't the 70's anymore when you were making hits like Shampoo, and sleeping with every female celeb you can think of. 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It boggles my mind that the first thing he's done in 15 years looks so...inconsequential. But then the last time he was on-screen, it was the notorious bomb Town & Country (look up that movie's production history if you're bored, no joke), so...

I'm aware of that film's production history. Beatty's ego and constant need to control everything were a huge part of why that's film production budget keep ballooning. I can see why he didn't do another role for 15 years because of it.

9 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Warren Beatty is an asshole his sister(Shirley Mclaine) is just as bad if not worse. He needs to just relax, and realize that this isn't the 70's anymore when you were making hits like Shampoo, and sleeping with every female celeb you can think of. 

Beatty is well past his glory days, however I'm glad to see he didn't end his career with Town & Country.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It might be a good movie but I definitely feel like I'm waiting till its on DVD to find out

I remember when I used to say that. Now I even see garbage in the theatre.

Ahem cough Norm of the North cough