FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really do feel like Moonlight seems to be getting an unwarranted pass for that very lackluster third act (aka the act you can skip except the last 5 minutes). Why is no one calling it out for that? 

I thought the entire third act was as compelling as everything that came before it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really do feel like Moonlight seems to be getting an unwarranted pass for that very lackluster third act (aka the act you can skip except the last 5 minutes). Why is no one calling it out for that? 

I think the primary scene in that act (the scene in the diner) is probably the best scene in the whole movie.*shrugs* Also, Trevante Rhodes better be careful. He might mess around and end up a fucking superstar. Dude has everything it takes to be one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, for real. Sometimes, you just watch someone and know. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The last 5 minutes is the part you can skip, IMO.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think the primary scene in that act (the scene in the diner) is probably the best scene in the whole movie.*shrugs* Also, Trevante Rhodes better be careful. He might mess around and end up a fucking superstar. Dude has everything it takes to be one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, for real. Sometimes, you just watch someone and know. 

Huh, I thought he seemed very green. Definitely preferred Holland. Overall, concerning the last act, I just thought the script was decidedly lazy with the potential set up by the first two acts. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Why is BOT forums mirroring my life?

You had make up sex with your girl? Good job.

Hopefully you didn't do it in front of your mom while watching High School Musical.

Moonlight's third act - like the rest of the film - is aces. Without getting into spoilery detail, we can make haunting inferences about what the events of the first two acts did to Black, and the extended diner scene feels like earned catharsis in light of it. I had a big, dumb smile on my face by the end, and the film earned it with everything it put Little/Chiron/Black through in order to get to that point. While I'll admit that the third act is probably the least impressive portion of the film on its own (which isn't really that much of a knock, given that the first two-thirds are amazing and the final third is just slightly less amazing), it's still pretty damn good and benefits enormously from the context of what came before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

If you think the diner scene is nothing, I don't know what to say.

I think the diner scene is whatever you want to make it because there's so little to it. Personally I found it lazy. If other people want to make it something more, good for them for obviously being more invested than me to take the time to do the filmmaker's job. For me personally it's just kind of a cop out filmmaking technique. 

• Like 1