YM!

Abominable | September 27th, 2019 | Dreamworks/Pearl Studio

Well, even with the large amount of bigfoot films coming out, I think it almost doesn't matter if this film doesn't jive with American audiences, because, with the Chinese studio at the helm, I'm sure that a large portion of the Chinese audience will be seeing this.

It's definitely a story that we've seen before, but it seems to be told in a visually striking. The character designs are very good and fit the film's world very well.

I'll examine the animated films that are around it in the schedule. The 2nd Angry Birds movie has a good chance to be a size-able hit even in a crowded August marketplace. Playmobil is releasing August 30th and The Addams Family is releasing October 11th--both films have their reasons as to why they might be in some trouble.

So when Abominable comes out on September 27th, it'll have been the first visually-appealing animated film since Angry Birds 2, which will have released six weeks prior. So there are going to be many eyes on this film.

With the amount of people going to support Crazy Rich Asians, I'd say this movie has a real shot at pulling off the unexpected. There's a lot of potential here, and it'll be interesting to see if Universal as a distributor can capitalize on that.