YM!

Abominable | September 27th, 2019 | Dreamworks/Pearl Studio

I worry about this one. It's hard to judge buzz when it comes to a kids/family movie (ie. this is the kind of movie parents will take their kids to spur of the moment/nobody really talks online about) but it doesn't feel like it's offering anything special. Sure, the only animated film we've gotten recently is The Angry Birds Movie 2, and the next one is Frozen II which doesn't release until November 22, but I don't give that too much weight. Parents have other options nowadays if they're dying to take their kids out to be entertained. 

We'll see I guess. @TwoMisfits do you want to chime in here? Is this on your family's radar at all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

I worry about this one. It's hard to judge buzz when it comes to a kids/family movie (ie. this is the kind of movie parents will take their kids to spur of the moment/nobody really talks online about) but it doesn't feel like it's offering anything special. Sure, the only animated film we've gotten recently is The Angry Birds Movie 2, and the next one is Frozen II which doesn't release until November 22, but I don't give that too much weight. Parents have other options nowadays if they're dying to take their kids out to be entertained. 

We'll see I guess. @TwoMisfits do you want to chime in here? Is this on your family's radar at all?

My family knows about it...but we saw Smallfoot...so I'm not that excited for another yeti movie yet...

They are more excited for Addams Family b/c it's seasonal, and they are hyped for a Halloween movie at Halloween (heck, there's even more buzz for Maleficient 2 here for the same reason, but not enough for us to buy a ticket).

So, I dunno...maybe they'll cover us in ads for 2 weeks that spur my boys into bugging me...but nothing here yet...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Come on man ! I need this movie to get buzz so that it would still be no.1 in its second weekend. I want it to have LAST LAUGH. This is no JOKING matter. 

I mean, a $200M OW is possible for this. As long as it drops 50% or less it could definitely be #1 over Joker.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Weirdly, TMobile announced their $4 Addams Family deal yesterday, even though it won't be offered til Oct 8...may be wanting to get family phone holders to hold off on Abominable for Addams Family (3 weeks is the earliest I've ever seen them put "news" out for a TMobile Tuesday offer)...

Yeah they may be smelling blood with Abominable seemingly lacking in buzz.

Wait... Stupid question here, but these deals are done in partnerships with the studio right? Otherwise why would TMobile care what people see?

Edited by JB33

7 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah they may be smelling blood with Abominable seemingly lacking in buzz.

Wait... Stupid question here, but these deals are done in partnerships with the studio right? Otherwise why would TMobile care what people see?

I'm sure TMobile offers the deals with the company...now, whether it's with Atom, the studio, both, etc, and how much each side kicks in, I don't know...but I'm sure TMobile doesn't offer anything without a pretty big kick back:)...