Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

12 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

To each his own. I really liked Get Out, but I loved CITW.

GO absolutely deserves to be fresh, even highly rated fresh, but at this point the hype has passed the actual quality. Realistically, almost no movie could live up to a 130+ 100% fresh start, expectations are in the stratosphere.

This is why you shouldn't get caught up in reviews. :) 

47 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's much better than CABIN IN THE WOODS although it isn't as mockingly self-referential. (It clearly draws heavily from some classic horror thrillers but it doesn't do it to directly comment on the genre, the way CITW did). 

"Politics" doesn't have anything to do with it. Social commentary, yes, absolutely -- it's a central pillar to the whole concept. 

I will be genuinely shocked if this is true. The Cabin In The Woods is one of my top 5 horror movies of the last decade. So if it's anywhere near that level, I'll be pretty thrilled. 

The reason I even brought it up is because that was widely praised (but it does have a pretty big following of people that love it). I figured this would draw from horror thrillers knowing the director and his history with skits. But CITW did it in such a creative way that was so an absolute blast (and completely unexpected). But to each's own!

Again, the only reason I brought that movie up was to compare the average score and I think this is trying to be a fun horror like it. Sorry politics/social Commentary that's what I meant. Critics seem to go easier on politics/commentary they agree with and harder on movies with politics/commentary they don't.

If Get Out is done as clever as all these reviews suggest, I'll give it tons of credit. But expecting another CITW or something better then it? Yeah that's setting my expectations way too high.

Edited by somebody85

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is why you shouldn't get caught up in reviews. :) 

And besides big blockbusters, I usually don't unless they make headlines like this did...and especially if it's horror. I didn't even watch the trailers to most of my favorite films from 2016.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I will be genuinely shocked if this is true. The Cabin In The Woods is one of my top 5 horror movies of the last decade. So if it's anywhere near that level, I'll be pretty thrilled. 

The reason I even brought it up is because that was widely praised and has a pretty big following of people that love it. I figured this would draw from horror thrillers knowing the director and his history with skits. But CITW did it in such a creative way that was so much fun. But to each's own!

Again, the only reason I brought that movie up was to compare the average score and I think this is trying to be a fun horror like it. Sorry politics/social Commentary that's what I meant. Critics seem to go easier on politics/commentary they agree with and harder on movies with politics/commentary they don't.

If Get Out is done as clever as all these reviews suggest, I'll give it tons of credit. But expecting another CITW or something better then it? Yeah that's setting my expectations way too high.

Well, I don't hold CITW in such high regard, though I did enjoy it. So take my comments about it with a grain of salt, I guess. (In particular, I found GET OUT far more satisfying, ultimately, than CITW). I can't really get specific without going into spoilers, but the assumption you're making (which I don't think is true in this case), is that GET OUT has a particular political commentary that you have to take a side about (or have a side to already be on). The movie is actually much slyer than that -- it pokes barbs at a great many things, and they're not all of one political angle. That's why I objected to the word "politics" in the first place.

It delves into a lot of the same general territory as ROSEMARY'S BABY and STEPFORD WIVES, though they were looking at gender roles and expectations and this is more an examination of racial attitudes and feelings. I don't think it's as "clever" in terms of horror tropes as CITW, but it's not really trying to be, either. And again, for all its cleverness, CITW fell flat for me (in the end) and GET OUT. Of course, YMMV.

I haven't seen this yet (very very very excited for tomorrow), but Cabin In The Woods was fine. It's like The Master for me - I wish I liked it like as much everyone else seems to. I can certainly see what's high quality about it, but eh. Just didn't land with me. It's fine. *shrugs*

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I don't hold CITW in such high regard, though I did enjoy it. So take my comments about it with a grain of salt, I guess. (In particular, I found GET OUT far more satisfying, ultimately, than CITW). I can't really get specific without going into spoilers, but the assumption you're making (which I don't think is true in this case), is that GET OUT has a particular political commentary that you have to take a side about (or have a side to already be on). The movie is actually much slyer than that -- it pokes barbs at a great many things, and they're not all of one political angle. That's why I objected to the word "politics" in the first place.

It delves into a lot of the same general territory as ROSEMARY'S BABY and STEPFORD WIVES, though they were looking at gender roles and expectations and this is more an examination of racial attitudes and feelings. 

Huh! Very cool. So clearly drawing on his experience with working with different subjects from his television show. 

But yeah to clear this up, I never said I thought this would be bad. I never said that I don't think it deserves to be certified fresh. It's just extremely rare for any widely released movie to get that high a rating let alone a horror movie. I'm sure I'll understand where you are coming from once I see it but I really would like to see it outside of the hype now to allow it to stand on it's own (as hard as that's going to be).

I actually didn't rush out to watch CITW in theaters. I didn't even see a trailer for it so I was shocked when I did see it (I think a few weeks later?) because I had no idea what it was even about. All I knew, was that it was rated very highly for a horror movie on RT and was getting press because of it (much like this). Honestly it wasn't even on my radar that year until the reviews because I thought it was just another generic teens get hacked up in the woods movie.

And that's perfectly fair that you don't hold CITW in high regard, I know many who think it's overrated. The old IMDB boards (feels weird saying that) were filled with people who hated it.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

Just now, Mikasa Ackerman said:

According to the Herald it did.

Lol it's out before John Wick 2. 

Glad it's getting an proper release. That's actually a really solid 3 weeks there now. GOTG2 followed by Get Out followed by John Wick 2. My wallet won't like it though.

58 minutes ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Get Out won't be released here in NZ until May. I'm gonna see GOTG2 in cinema before I see this lol

43 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

Did it get a release date here? Last I checked it was still set to sail straight to VOD.

People from New Zealand seconds away online.

Another reason I love the internet. :smurfs:

• Like 1

Eh Cabin in the Woods was fun to me which means it's probably a damn masterpiece of the genre as I can count with the fingers of one hand which horror movies are "fun" in my opinion.

Actually, let's see... The Cabin in the Wood, the first Scream (4 was fine-ish, the rest? Ew), Blair Witch(never watching it again though), hmm... Does Zombieland or Shaun of the Dead count? Maybe Resident Evil? Cause I think that's it...

• Like 1