POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

Decent hold for Moana. Considering its only competition was an R-rated comedy and some Oscar contending platformers, it definitely didn't have a spectacular hold. But it's on pace for $225-255 mililon DOM depending on Sing impacts it.

Office Christmas Party did reasonably well. This time of year, that sort of OW should be good for $50-60 million DOM, even if WOM is middling at best.

Fantastic Beasts did okay. 25-30% drop should have happened given how weak its competition was compared to DH1 (Narnia 3>OCP). 

Arrival is developing some sturdy legs. Since it's in 3,000+ theaters and it's developing some Oscar buzz, it should hold well through the holidays and possibly do another $5-7 million during Jan-Feb. $105-110 million DOM is a decent result given the budget and type of film. 

Doctor Strange is holding nicely. $235 million DOM is a good number. Trolls and Hacksaw are both holding nicely, too. 

Allied is doing okay. If the budget weren't so high, it would be a decent lower-key performer. 

Manchester looks poised for a $40-60 million DOM performance. La La Land looks poised for $75 million+ DOM (thinking $130-170 million DOM myself, but it could potentially 'underwhelm' due to the competition for screens during January/February. 

• Like 4

Ahhh, BOM updated OS too, Doctor Strange now surpassed Thor 2's ww too and has as such such surpassed ww all of MCU's first installments of the solo characters for now plus Thor 2 (not counting Avengers 1 or GotG 1)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think it was hanging by a thread even there. Now it's doing more than I thought it would after its opening weekend. A $12-14m total will at least put it on the level of other recent divisive late-year releases like Carol and Inside Llewyn Davis, a week ago I wasn't even sure $10m would happen. 

True. I guess it's good they're even releasing a movie as divisive as this one. Although ironically, both of the movies you mentioned were expected to be big Oscar players, unlike this one (to my knowledge) so the fact that its numbers are on par with Carol and Llewyn Davis is interesting. 

Ahead of Rogue One’s arrival, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them enjoyed one last week as the overseas leader.

The Harry Potter spin-off conjured up another estimated $33.1m from its 67 markets to lift its running total to $480.7m. Its current leading markets are China ($82.4m), the UK ($52.3m), Japan ($37.4m), South Korea ($32m) and Germany ($27.5m).

Sully travelled to $13.6m from its 23 markets for $94m to date, propelled by a healthy three-day debut of $5.5m in China from around 5,000 screens.

In its second weekend, Italy fell only 9% with $2.1m to retain top spot and reach $5.1m, the UK fell 30% with $1.6m for $5.4m and France added $1.5m for $4.9m to date.

In its third weekend, Moana sailed to an extra $23.5m from its 32 territories for $93.8m so far overseas and $238.8m globally.

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ latest posted an overall drop-off of 31% from last weekend, with the likes of France ($11.5m to date), the UK ($6m to date), China ($26.2m to date) and Mexico ($6.2m to date) enjoying strong holds.

Moana remained at number one in France, Spain, Russia, Mexico, Colombia and Venezuela, among others. Its next major releases come in Germany and Italy on December 22.

Office Christmas Party started its international run in 49 territories through Paramount and Mister Smith Entertainment with an estimated $16.4m debut.

Russia led the way with a $2.3m opening from 1,000 sites to chart second, followed by Mexico on $855k from 594 sites which also saw it land in second place. The comedy opened top in Panama with $269k and also opened in the likes of Italy ($648k) and Brazil ($620k).

It opens in Thailand next weekend.

With no new openings, Allied took $4.8m from its 35 markets for $33.9m to date. Russia enjoyed a $980k second weekend for $3.3m and France added $764k for $5.8m after three weeks in play.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back has crossed the $100m mark at the international box office following a $1.9m weekend in its 30 markets for $101.6m.

Sing made its bow in 12 territories for an estimated overseas debut of $9.6m with eight number one openings.

Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures’ latest animation posted a chart-topping $4.8m in Germany from 370 sites, followed by an $813k debut in Austria and a $701k opening in Norway.

It opens in Greece, Romania and the Netherlands next weekend with international dates rolling out over the next few months.

With a $500k debut in Russia, Nocturnal Animals added $1.2m from its 28 territories for $10m to date. The adaptation opens in Colombia and Peru next weekend

Awards contender La La Land started its international rollout with an estimated $4.6m debut from its six markets.

South Korea provided the majority of the opening with $4m ahead of openings in the Netherlands on December 22 and Australia on Boxing Day. Most markets will start releasing mid-January. 

http://www.screendaily.com/news/fantastic-beasts-retains-international-lead-with-331m/5112102.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 2

Manchester has crossed over to a broad audience and the movie is working strongly in all locations,” said Bob Berney, Amazon Studios’ chief of marketing and distribution this morning, “The film is # 1 or #2 in 227 of the complexes we are playing in and we’re in the top 10 with only 366 theaters.  The strong critical reaction and awards are wonderful but the real story is that Kenny Lonergan’s film is connecting deeply to audiences across the country and it’s doing fantastic business.”

25 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I miss Captain Lawrence, @POTUS. :( 

I traded in one crazy bastard for another:lol:

Why did you change your picture after all this time?

I think its been 5 years. Time to watch it again. Winter is a good time too with all that sand and sun

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, POTUS said:

I traded in one crazy bastard for another:lol:

Why did you change your picture after all this time?

I think its been 5 years. Time to watch it again. Winter is a good time too with all that sand and sun

Once in awhile I'll change it for a little while. I did it last year for FORCE AWAKENS so I figured, why not again? I'll switch back after the holidays.

17 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I don't know if anyone here mentioned it.....but as of today.....Illumination's The Secret Life of Pets has now become the biggest grossing animated film for the studio, DOM-wise.

It's now at $368,142,430.....beating DM2's $368,061,265.

Unfuckingbelievable. I think it's also gotta be up there as one of the highest grossing original animations by now (wasn't Nemo w/3D re-release included #1?). Who the fuck saw that coming before Summer?

Pets 2 just became one of the biggest wildcards of 2018. Will it DM2 itself and do MORE than the 1st, or will it do significantly less?

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

$20m is still possible for Jackie with a gradual rollout I think, which is decent considering it's not your typical biopic. 

Without a Best Picture nomination or any other major recognition besides a nom for Portman I don't see it going much further than Carol and The Danish Girl (which finished slightly over $10M).

1 hour ago, Ragi said:

As long as the top 3 domestic movies all time are the below in any order.  Most fans won't care which one is on top.

Star Wars 7

Star Wars 8

Star Wars 9

It's a good thing you said "domestic", because Cameron will

come knocking December 2018 and the world will answer.

46 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Unfuckingbelievable. I think it's also gotta be up there as one of the highest grossing original animations by now (wasn't Nemo w/3D re-release included #1?). Who the fuck saw that coming before Summer?

Pets 2 just became one of the biggest wildcards of 2018. Will it DM2 itself and do MORE than the 1st, or will it do significantly less?

Hmm, I'm gonna go with less. DM1 wasn't nearly as big as SLOP and beyond that it really built a huge following with kids and the Minions leading up to the second. Even with how big DM2 was, SLOP has beaten it now. So I don't think prospects are good to go even higher. I think SLOP 2 can do around 300 or so. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Huh? The trailers were funny, almost as funny as Zootopia. It had smash hit written all over it. 

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It'll get over 300M and not much more than that.

• Like 1