Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

For anyone curious, the films in the top 50-60 ranges are events, except for the ones that made a huge chunk of their admissions in re-releases:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Your fav blockbuster not in that range you say? NOT AN EVENT. 

So we have had 50 events in the 100+ year history of cinema? This that what you're saying?

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

No, an event=a phenomenon. Movies that are big blockbusters are not events. Events are rare. I'm not even sure they shouldn't be narrowed further down to top 30 admissions or so. 

Well this is where a number of us disagree with you. Fundamental difference of defining "event" and "phenomenon." To me, something like The Matrix Reloaded was a big event but not a phenomenon. It opened huge (especially for Rated R) and then had poor legs due to far less than phenomenal WOM. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

And you know as well as I do that comparing the movie viewing environment now to those decades ago is silly.

You have your own idiosyncratic defintion of 'event'.  That's fine.  But the entertainment industry would disagree heavily that there's only one or two movie events in a decade rather than two or three events a year.

Then they have no clue what a box office event is. If it happens over and over every year it isn't an event. This is pretty hilarious some of you don't understand the different between a huge success and an event. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Well this is where a number of us disagree with you. Fundamental difference of defining "event" and "phenomenon." To me, something like The Matrix Reloaded was a big event but not a phenomenon. It opened huge (especially for Rated R) and then had poor legs due to far less than phenomenal WOM. 

There can be event openings for movies that ultimately aren't events overall. I already said that. DH2 is the poster child of that type of anomaly. 

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That event does not belong with those other peasants. 

And arguing movies are events based on their unadjusted grosses is hilariously misinformed. If you want to argue movies like Civil War and Age of Ultron were "events", you have to also argue that about films like Crocodile Dundee, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Young Frankenstein, Gremlins, Narnia, The Fugitive, The Caine Mutiny, and Meet the Fockers. Lol, no. 

Gremlins 2 is the biggest event ever

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That event does not belong with those other peasants. 

And arguing movies are events based on their unadjusted grosses is hilariously misinformed. If you want to argue movies like Civil War and Age of Ultron were "events", you have to also argue that about films like Crocodile Dundee, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Young Frankenstein, Gremlins, Narnia, The Fugitive, The Caine Mutiny, and Meet the Fockers. Lol, no. 

Yes, all of those were events.  Some events are bigger than other events.

Youre just being ignorant to Rogue One's success because you didn't like the movie.

• Like 4

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

There can be event openings for movies that ultimately aren't events overall. I already said that. DH2 is the poster child of that type of anomaly. 

It's still an event in pop culture. It was the biggest domestic and overseas movie of 2011. I laughed as hard as anyone when the BOM writer pointed out that the opening weekend was likely well outside Top 5 all-time in admissions, but it was still a big event...the biggest event of 2011. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rey said:

YAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS at Star Wars: Episode III - Scalp Of The Sith being an event!

xAIOFxO.gif

Mmm...that one is debatable. It technically misses the cutoff. But in such cases, the "preference" stipulation is allowed to take priority: wherein if a person loves the film they can argue in favor of it being an event and not be totally wrong, while someone who hates it can say no it isn't and not be totally wrong either. 

This kind of confusion and gray areas are what I'm here for people. 

Just now, Jayhawk said:

At this point, it's all semantics. No one is technically right or wrong here. MovieMan just has a much narrower definition of an 'event' than 99% of us here. We're never gonna change each other's viewpoints, and it's all going in circles, so let's just agree to disagree.

tumblr_m5a0xt841W1r98lguo3_r1_250.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

At this point, it's all semantics. No one is technically right or wrong here. MovieMan just has a much narrower definition of an 'event' than 99% of us here. We're never gonna change each other's viewpoints, and it's all going in circles, so let's just agree to disagree.

Except he said before Rogue One opened that the minimum for an event nowadays was 500m, whichever Rogue One is nearly locked to fly pass.

He's just being ridiculous because he turned out to be wrong.

Edited by ThePanda A Star Wars Story
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mmm...that one is debatable. It technically misses the cutoff. But in such cases, the "preference" stipulation is allowed to take priority: wherein if a person loves the film they can argue in favor of it being an event and not be totally wrong, while someone who hates it can say no it isn't and not be totally wrong either. 

This kind of confusion and gray areas are what I'm here for people. 

Dude, it's your cutoff, and pretty much no one else is going along with it.

Or are they?

#NOTANEVENT

• Like 3