Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

When did #CRUMBLING come about? Before BVS, right?

Jurassic World. A member said it was crumbling on his first Saturday and it wasn't gonna reach 200M.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mmm...that one is debatable. It technically misses the cutoff. But in such cases, the "preference" stipulation is allowed to take priority: wherein if a person loves the film they can argue in favor of it being an event and not be totally wrong, while someone who hates it can say no it isn't and not be totally wrong either. 

This kind of confusion and gray areas are what I'm here for people. 

Mkay, sis.

We can agree to disagree, but I remember the summer very clearly, I recall ROTS as an event, sis. Go ahead and try to show me ya point though.

DKsYAFJ.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

So MovieMan...you didn't think Frozen was an event?  Oh sure, it's one of the biggest pop culture phenomenoms of the past decade.  But it didn't make 500M+!  Not an event!

No, Frozen was never a box office event. It was however a pop culture event. I didn't know we were shifting gears to those. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You do realize most of those I listed outsold the admissions of the "event" examples brought up right? See what I mean? 

Fugitive was a pretty damn big event. So was Mrs. Doubtfire from the same year. But they were not phenoms like Jurassic Park. I will say though that this #NotAnEvent meme is a pretty good one and you deserve credit for coming up with it. We needed something to replace Nikki's #NotARecord. Great job. :lol:

• Like 3

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

But how can we use a number benchmark when there's constant inflation? Does anyone really think it was possible to have 9 300m+ grossers at the end of last decade? No, it really wasn't because of inflation. So 300 is not the achievement it once was. In 2017 400 is not an event. 500 isn't either unless there is no premium inflation in there, in which case it's at the very bottom rung of an event and still debatable. 550 should be the true modern event benchmark, though that number could easily go up before we know it. 

$475m adjusted is about where the top 80 films of the last 80 years cut off. I think an average of 1 per year (where some years have multiple and others have none) is a good place to define the difference between the cream and more modest hits.

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

No, Frozen was never a box office event. It was however a pop culture event. I didn't know we were shifting gears to those. 

400M+, fantastic holds, fantastic reception, and it was the number one film two months after its release.  But it's not an event?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol.  The final numbers aren't in yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if Moana finishes with $11.2m giving it over a 40% drop.  

Hey, keep plugging away and banging your head against the wall about Rogue One.  You have been hilariously wrong the entire way so no need to stop now.  

How do you like that Sunday hold?  

I NEED YOU INSIDE OF ME. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Did you just give a movie a gender?

GODDAMMIT FILMLOVER. In Portugal we don't have "it" on our vocabulary. So it is only normal I give it a genre. That is how we talk here.

• Like 9