Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

I know I'm in the minority, but not feeling the latest installment of Star Wars as much as everyone else around these parts. Force Awakens is brisk, charming C+ for me. As for Rogue One, I currently see it as a B-/B. Nothing awful about either just neither really resonated with me either. That said, it's fun to have such an event at the box office for holiday season for years to come.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

MovieMan believes for a film to be a "box office event in North America" in the current box office climate $500M+ DOM or, even, $550M+ is the floor.

I can sorta kinda maybe see where he's coming from if I squint hard enough, but... no.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I know I'm in the minority, but not feeling the latest installment of Star Wars as much as everyone else around these parts. Force Awakens is brisk, charming C+ for me. As for Rogue One, I currently see it as a B-/B. Nothing awful about either just neither really resonated with me either. That said, it's fun to have such an event at the box office for holiday season for years to come.

I think they're both fairly passable, but RO gave me a bit of new appreciation for TFA. Engaging characters and a good sense of focus really go a long way. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think they're both fairly passable, but RO gave me a bit of new appreciation for TFA. Engaging characters and a good sense of focus really go a long way. 

It's odd in that the strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other. I wish the character beats has more room the breathe and that Rogue One didn't abrupt shift from one locale to another laying heavy exposition because the story that's told is a bit convoluted. Whereas, I wish Force Awakens had more of a story to tell and wasn't so leisurely. Also wish Force Awakens world building was as impressive as Rogue One's. Certainly both passable.

I've my fingers crossed that Rian Johnson is the man to bring us somewhere closer to a perfect marriage of Force Awakens and Rogue One.

• Like 3

2.5x multi in december is like a 2x (or worse) in summer.

even considering r1's huge ow might reduce it's mutli (even though it's previews to real-ow ratio is great :ow is 5.38x of previews; tfa was understandably lower at 4.38x),

sub-3x would still be surprising. tfa's 3.8x might be too high, but 3.2-3.4x (giving 500-530 dom) is quiet reasonable.

• Like 3