Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Ok not to attack Avatar, but objectively you have to admit it didn't have the cultural impact of Cameron's other films like Aliens, Terminator ((And T2)), and Titanic to name but a few.

We're on a site full of movie buffs, so I have to imagine that the cultural impact of Aliens and Terminator are greatly overestimated (even though I love them). Avatar influenced the entire industry and is still fondly remembered by a lot of people.

11 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Indy's a guy who fell out of an airplane with nothing but a life raft and survived. I thought nuke the fridge was a great, funny little moment, no matter how implausible.

Is this where I mention I like KOTCS better than TOD?

• Like 1

Since we're discussing Avatar, yes, it did in fact make more money than TFA. Shocking, I know. But the most interesting thing to me is that a movie grossing $2.7b+ worldwide has had so little of a cultural impact, at least here in America, anyway.

Sure, you have Avatar fans, but they're very sparse. It's like most people came, thought "oh, that was nice", and then didn't really think about it again. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I have 1,500 likes to give away this weekend and still have to spend them sparingly. 

May I suggest platinum status for long term gold members? 

2,000 likes per day! 

Hahaha, I already wrote here I's like a diamond account, for more likes...

7 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think there's a possibility that more UNIQUE individuals saw Avatar in theatres in the domestic market, considering many if not most Star Wars fans saw TFA multiple times, many in fact, admitted to see it 50/60/70 times in theater. Benefit of an established franchise with established characters, Nostalgia and die hard fans, which Avatar of course, never had.

I know more people who really often repeat-watched Avatar than SW 7. I am one of those. And love both in their own way. Not sure about that theory, but who knows

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Ok not to attack Avatar, but objectively you have to admit it didn't have the cultural impact of Cameron's other films like Aliens, Terminator ((And T2)), and Titanic to name but a few.

May be partly true, but the fact that it revolutionized theatre going experience popularizing 3D, advancing motion capture technology, as well as being one of the only films at the point very successfully placing completely CGI characters in  CGI environments, these outweigh (or at least balance out) the so called "cultural impact" which can be pretty vague but also mostly observable in the west (in particular North America).

In China, for example, Avatar (as it stormed in the theaters) is almost single-handily responsible to massive amount of theater screen increase/ modernization to accommodate for both 3D and for the movie-goers who were increasingly engaged, directly resulted in the massive increase in movie attendance/box office in China post 2010. One could easily argue Avatar had an important role in how China transitioned into such an important movie market from 2010 through to 2015.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

Just now, Eevin said:

Since we're discussing Avatar, yes, it did in fact make more money than TFA. Shocking, I know. But the most interesting thing to me is that a movie grossing $2.7b+ worldwide has had so little of a cultural impact, at least here in America, anyway.

Sure, you have Avatar fans, but they're very sparse. It's like most people came, thought "oh, that was nice", and then didn't really think about it again. 

There were reports of people committing suicide shortly after the release because they couldn't live on Pandora...

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean yes, but it was also released back when movie theaters were unique and didn't have to compete with TV or the internet or video games just to name a few sources of entertainment options.

The point is silly to argue which one is bigger or better when in fact Gone With the Wind is the biggest over all time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Re-released 11 times over 60 years in numerous times before home cinema, Titanic had the single best theatrical release adjusted for inflation.

Exactly. If we're talking about all time box office hits, I would put ANH and Titanic above Gone With the Wind and Avatar. Titanic's first run total came during a time when you could just wait and get the movie on VHS down the road, or DVD, and it sold that unbelievably astounding number of tickets (NOT ONE to yours truly, I boycotted the movie) in a single run. As for GWTW, you can't take anything away from the #1 film adjusted for inflation, only to say that people returned many times to theaters over a huge number of re-releases not just because they liked the movie, but because they literally hadn't seen the movie. You couldn't just go buy it on DVD or something, or order it from Netflix. That wasn't a thing. You either saw it when it was in theaters or you didn't see it at all. It played for many years overall in theaters. 

I think what ANH has accomplished is also hugely impressive in that it not only had a monstrous first run that changed the way movies were made and marketed, but when it kept returning to theaters, it continued to pull in business. Even in 1997 when everyone had it on VHS already, probably 4-5 copies (haha, thanks Lucasfilm), and yet fans still turned up to make it one of the biggest movies of the year. Even though it wasn't a new movie! 

Looking at all of the biggest ticket sellers, Avatar to me is one of the least impressive domestically. Overseas, that's another story, it doesn't get any more impressive than that. In the States, though, you have a movie that not even close to 100 million people saw on the first run. The Phantom Menace easily sold more tickets than Avatar. Avatar, in other words, would have been a fairly average success for a Star Wars movie. Let's not pretend everyone saw it and that it was some once-in-a-generation success. That rarified air falls to Titanic and TFA recently, and ANH / E.T. before, and so on.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There were reports of people committing suicide shortly after the release because they couldn't live on Pandora...

You can't live on Pandora it is online radio station. Why would someone think they could live on a radio station?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

May be partly true, but the fact that it revolutionized theatre going experience popularizing 3D, advancing motion capture technology, as well as being one of the only films at the point very successfully placing completely CGI characters in  CGI environments, these outweigh (or at least balance out) the so called "cultural impact" which can be pretty vague but also mostly observable in the west (in particular North America).

In China, for example, Avatar (as it stormed in the theaters) is almost single-handily responsible to massive amount of theater screen increase/ modernization to accommodate for both 3D and for the movie-goers who were increasingly engaged, directly resulted in the massive increase in movie attendance/box office in China post 2010. One could easily argue Avatar had an important role in how China transitioned into such an important movie market from 2010 through to 2015.

Would give this a like if I could, good post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, I'm sure immediately after the fact the world was stunned at Avatar's achievements. That's why it was so leggy. But seven years later, you don't see too much acclaim/merchandising/talk about it as you do with modern hits like Avengers, TFA, Jurassic World...and granted, most of those brands are inherently marketable in and of itself compared to something like Avatar. But the fact that people are genuinely surprised when I tell them it's the biggest movie ever might mean it doesn't have the impact some think it does.