Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Since we're discussing Avatar, yes, it did in fact make more money than TFA. Shocking, I know. But the most interesting thing to me is that a movie grossing $2.7b+ worldwide has had so little of a cultural impact, at least here in America, anyway.

Sure, you have Avatar fans, but they're very sparse. It's like most people came, thought "oh, that was nice", and then didn't really think about it again. 

Well, the movie is seven years old now. Star Wars has now had eight movies on the big screen, a few TV shows that have been pretty popular, numerous video games and toys and collectibles, etc. if Avatar would've been up to a trilogy of movies by now, I'd imagine it would be in conversations far more and have much more of a presence than it does. It was a phenomenon at and for awhile after release but with just one movie, there's only so much you can talk about before you are circling back to the same things you already discussed. 

Once the sequel(s) finally get here, talk about the first one and what's to come will no doubt ramp up. Cameron created one heck of a world, the stories to be told within it are really limitless. 

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

T2 and Aliens are great after that the Cameron movie I would watch next is True Lies

A truly underrated film although for me,

T2>Aliens>Titanic>The Terminator>Avatar>True Lies>The Abyss

The Abyss was a great film but Cameron's worst.

About cultural impact? What do you guys even mean. What do you want from a stand-alone film. You're going to have to break it down for me exactly what you mean by cultural impact because right now it's just a meaningless word to me which is being repeated.

1 minute ago, DealWithIt said:

Well, the movie is seven years old now. Star Wars has now had eight movies on the big screen, a few TV shows that have been pretty popular, numerous video games and toys and collectibles, etc. if Avatar would've been up to a trilogy of movies by now, I'd imagine it would be in conversations far more and have much more of a presence than it does. It was a phenomenon at and for awhile after release but with just one movie, there's only so much you can talk about before you are circling back to the same things you already discussed. 

Once the sequel(s) finally get here, talk about the first one and what's to come will no doubt ramp up. Cameron created one heck of a world, the stories to be told within it are really limitless. 

Exactly, it's a stand-alone film and people are harping on about it's cultural impact.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i love cameron but i'm a total asshole for thinking aliens is at the bottom of the pile w/ his films. like it's ok. would watch everything else before it. (no, not the piranha movie, you FUCKS)

This is legitimately an opinion I have never heard before. That doesn't make you a total asshole though. Not seeing The Abyss does and liking KOTCS more than TOD does. @DAR

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

:kitschjob:

Not as big as Titanic, but I'd say it definitely had a bigger impact in its time than those other two. Lasting legacy is a different topic, though I will say if Avatar 2 delivers then you can bet that Avatar will earn a rightful spot in iconic film history. 

In it's time yeah, but Aliens and Terminator have become iconic in the west. But the points about the in-industry impact and the impact in China and other countries are very good points.

The long delay on the Avatar sequels hurt its cultural impact, imho. People have been allowed to forget about it. Pretty sure that if Star Wars had stopped at A New Hope it would have been a situation similar to Avatar: a film that revolutionized filmmaking technique, made a shit ton of money, yet wasn't very present in popular culture 7-8 years later.

We'll see what happens when/if the Avatar sequels drop.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Yes, I'm sure immediately after the fact the world was stunned at Avatar's achievements. That's why it was so leggy. But seven years later, you don't see too much acclaim/merchandising/talk about it as you do with modern hits like Avengers, TFA, Jurassic World...and granted, most of those brands are inherently marketable in and of itself compared to something like Avatar. But the fact that people are genuinely surprised when I tell them it's the biggest movie ever might mean it doesn't have the impact some think it does.

You've made the point yourself but I'm going to repeat it, those are all franchise movies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

What's  impressive about GWTW is it made its bones when ticket prices were drastically lower

James Cameron could work with George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and they could still match it. @Grand Moff Tele what was it like when Gone With the Wind was released? Was every talk about for years at work? Was it the only thing on the radio? What was the fan fiction like? 

3 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

The long delay on the Avatar sequels hurt its cultural impact, imho. People have been allowed to forget about it. Pretty sure that if Star Wars had stopped at A New Hope it would have been a situation similar to Avatar: a film that revolutionized filmmaking technique, made a shit ton of money, yet wasn't very present in popular culture 7-8 years later.

We'll see what happens when/if the Avatar sequels drop.

This is a really great point I'm surprised has never occurred to me honestly. I wonder what would have happened if ESB had released 10 years after ANH? Maybe what will happen with Avatar 2, where you will see the first become revered again after it is brought back into the public consciousness. 

• Like 1