Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I thought Rogue One was a spin off. Seems unfair to call it a drop off from ep7. It's not a sequel. That's like saying Ant Man was a huge drop off from Avengers. 

Spin-offs are compared to the main saga all the time. Even if it's unfair.

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

They haven't already? The merch alone had to drop a billion into that bucket.

I don't think TFA earned more than $1 billion in actual profits for the movie alone. Another billion for merchandize sounds reasonable, but still $2 billion shy from making their investment back.

• Like 1

Just now, Maitch said:

I don't think TFA earned more than $1 billion in actual profits for the movie alone. Another billion for merchandize sounds reasonable, but still $2 billion shy from making their investment back.

I know, just being a bit exaggerated with it. 4 Billion for Lucas Film was a great deal, let's not forget Disney also owns Indy and ILM now.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I thought Rogue One was a spin off. Seems unfair to call it a drop off from ep7. It's not a sequel. That's like saying Ant Man was a huge drop off from Avengers. 

good one, a quotable worthy IMHO

I like it :wub: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

I know, just being a bit exaggerated with it. 4 Billion for Lucas Film was a great deal, let's not forget Disney also owns Indy and ILM now.

ILM has so much to do, they opened an additional department in UK some months back (and as such can take advantage for some additional tyx-rebates there, IMHO considerable high tax rebates)

They earn money per non Disney owned films too

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

ILM has so much to do, they opened an additional department in UK some months back (and as such can take advantage for some additional tyx-rebates there, IMHO considerable high tax rebates)

They earn money per non Disney owned films too

ILM In the long run could be worth the 4B. It's easy to focus on SW, but I'm also curious what a new Indy film could do.

• Like 3

Another thought just crossed my mind that could prevent Rogue One from having as good or better legs than the TFA is that TFA was buoyed by the perfect holiday constellation. Christmas Day was a Friday and New Year's Day was also a Friday. I don't think it's a coincidence that both TFA and Avatar (the two biggest films ever) had this same exact Holiday constellation. Rogue One doesn't have that and therefore could have worse (but still good) legs than TFA. Not trying to damper the movie's box office potential here. I'm just thinking about all possible scenarios.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

merchandise, license, TV-rights worldwide,.... has someone article links at hand about already known numbers?

It looks like merch sales settle in around $700m annually.

http://www.newsweek.com/star-wars-force-awakens-toys-sales-418180

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/star-wars-merchandise-sales-may-010105972.html

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Another thought just crossed my mind that could prevent Rogue One from having as good or better legs than the TFA is that TFA was buoyed by the perfect holiday constellation. Christmas Day was a Friday and New Year's Day was also a Friday. I don't think it's a coincidence that both TFA and Avatar (the two biggest films ever) had this same exact Holiday constellation. Rogue One doesn't have that and therefore could have worse (but still good) legs than TFA. Not trying to damper the movie's box office potential here. I'm just thinking about all possible scenarios.

That detail I also pointed out at dom and International, so many little details tha can play into the BO results.

This year's X-Mas/New Year is $%&§# for workers, 24 December is here shorted as a 1/2 day, fells on a Saturday, so maybe 2 hours less work, the same for 31 December, and both 25 December and 1 January are Sundays = not public holiday. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Even if 20% of audience skips we would still see mammoth THU pre-shows tonight of $46M.

He makes that statement as if a 20% drop is the worst case scenario. Pretty messed up since that number is more like the best case scenario.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

It looks like merch sales settle in around $700m annually.

http://www.newsweek.com/star-wars-force-awakens-toys-sales-418180

The $700 million number is toy-specific and doesn't include other Star Wars-branded products. 

Might be a bit more (see also soundtracks, bread-boxes or however those are called, T-Shirts, advertising-use,...)

BB-8, .... It was the eighth highest-grossing toy of the year, and likely would have ranked higher if it had been made available earlier than September 4.

If I understand the sources... correctly = that covers dom only (maybe including the in the US producing companies of toys too)

Thank you a lot, I'll read the other link later

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

He makes that statement as if a 20% drop is the worst case scenario. Pretty messed up since that number is more like the best case scenario.

Hence the reason I do not understand.

How / why he does it formulate it this way? As far as I read the posts here by ... the people who post here some details, that is way too high an expection

Just now, terrestrial said:

Hence the reason I do not understand.

How / why he does it formulate it this way? As far as I read the posts here by ... the people who post here some details, that is way too high an expection

He's just throwing something out there. He likely doesn't sellout track like we do here. 

• Like 1