Why Him? (2016)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Why Him? (2016)?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A fun movie! Bryan Cranston and James Franco are great in this. The story is while nothing new but it is a very good story and idea, of a more kind of tamer toned version(The father) and the foul mouthed crazy guy(boyfriend). The supporting cast are funny especially Key from Key & Peele as Laird's helper, and Cedric The Entertainier. It was also nice to see Gene Simmons, and Paul Stanley from Kiss in full costume rockin at the end of the movie. Why Him? Is a crazy fun funny(definitely R-rated) comedy that was definitely needed for over the past few months, and it is the somewhat rivalry(between Laird, and Ned)  and supporting characters that make the humor in the film work. With the big movies like Rogue One coming out, Why Him? Is a fun crazy funny movie. Grade:B+

• Like 1

A decent comedy, made me uncomfortable a few times and got more than a few laughs out of me.

Cranston was crazy good as expected. Franco was also good, and so was pretty much the rest of the cast. They did go a bit too far with Franco's character and his quirks, IMO, and the story was quite predictable. 

All in all, a C+ from me :) 

Why Him? exists. That might be a weird way to put it, but it's been about a half hour since I left the theater and I'm struggling to remember any particularly good jokes, or interesting character moments. There are outdated cameos and lame pop culture references, but for positive qualities, the only thing that really sticks out is Key's wacky Gustav character. The film needs more out there elements like that. As it stands, Franco's broad performance sticks out in a bad way, and Cranston isn't allowed to be nearly as funny as he can be. Why Him? is a disappointment, being only moderately funny when with all the talent involved, this should've been one of the best comedies of the year. Shame that it's not only a waste of time for everyone involved, but also for the audience as well. D+

There's a handful of big laughs scattered throughout, but this is nothing more than a stale Meet the Parents wannabe that'll forgotten about by the time you get to the parking lot, despite a game cast (James Franco plays a version of his weird real life persona, Bryan Cranston makes the most of material that's clearly beneath his talent, and Zoey Deutch tries her best not to fade into the background). C-

Why Him is one of those movies that proves to be exactly what you expect it to be. Yes, there's a bunch of raunchy jokes. Yes, Cranston and Franco end up getting along. Yes, the daughter doesn't completely side track her life. As Blank said, Key is the one big standout, and he probably gets most of the big laughs of the movie. 

It's far from horrible, but if you're into this kind of movie, I think you'll leave satisfied. I'm not sure how much it has to offer to anyone else.

C+/C

It's nothing great or even that memorable and I agree it pretty much emulates Meet the Parents to the point that you could even call it a remake or a rip-off but it was funny. Cranston as grumpy dad and Franco as manchild millionaire are predictably very good since they both play pretty close to their comedic personas. And I liked that despite the R rating it doesn't go full bad behaviour+drugs+tits which seems to be what almost all R rated comedies gunning for in the recent years. It felt a lot like a family comedy despite a few fucks and moose balls, also Key from Key and Peele as Gustav completely stole the show. Most things in the movie are slightly amusing but Gustav was hilarious in every scene he was in.

B.