Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti and The Panda Present: THE FIFTH ANNUAL BOFFY AWARDS! La La Land, Arrival, and Zootopia Lead the Pack!

Alright guys, voting will be a bit different this year!

We are going to be doing preferential ballots, so pm your ballots to BOTH ME AND SPAGHETTI and then rank them in order of your preference.

The winner must have 50% or more #1 votes, if it doesn't, then the bottom ranked contender will be eliminated and whoever ranked it at number 1's vote will then go to their number two choice and so on.

This is for EVERY CATEGORY as a way to help prevent vote splitting.

BALLOTS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 17th AT 11:59pm PCT NO EXCEPTIONS.

The ceremony will be Sunday February 19th!  Happy voting!

• Like 4

Should make it so if you haven't seen a movie, you can't rank that category then. Was already planning on trying to watch all the nominated films I hadn't already seen, but otherwise, the lower half of BP and other categories are just a crapshoot for those who didn't watch it (and I guarantee you no one is gonna search out Silence to watch)

2 hours ago, Blankments said:

Should make it so if you haven't seen a movie, you can't rank that category then. Was already planning on trying to watch all the nominated films I hadn't already seen, but otherwise, the lower half of BP and other categories are just a crapshoot for those who didn't watch it (and I guarantee you no one is gonna search out Silence to watch)

I thought half the forum has already seen Silence

32 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

@Spaghetti by the Sea  were my votes counted for the nominations?  I send you a message with the noms a day before the deadline and it says 'not yet read'

Yep! You posted ballots in the main thread so I counted it There!

4 hours ago, Blankments said:

That would make it prohibitively difficult to vote on many categories. 

• Like 2

To clarify the purpose of the preferential ballots.

For example Besf Supporting Actor has two Hell or High Water Nominees

Say

30% of people vote John Goodman as their first choice

Then 28% vote Jeff Bridges

and then 27% vote Ben Foster

10% vote Mahershala Ali

5% vote Powell

Under normal voting, Goodman wins with 30% of the vote. (Bridges losing due to the HOHW vote split)

Under preferential, say for simplicity, Goodman didn't get over 50% of the vote.  So Powell is eliminated, and his votes are distributed to the other four based on whoever picked him as their #1's preference.  So, for simplicity, say Powell's 5% goes to Ali.  Nobody has the majority, so then say Ali's votes split 10% Goodman, 5% Bridges.  Again, nobody has a majority, so then say all of Foster's votes go to Bridges.

Bridges would then win with 60% of the voters who preferred him to Goodman.

In this case we should get winners who more accurately represent BOT's preference as a whole across the board.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Blankments said:

People can just omit movies they haven't seen from their rankings, if they so choose.   They can also choose to not vote in a category if they feel they haven't seen enough to make a decision, but that is again their choice to make.

I'll leave that decision up to whoever is sending in their ballot.  Just know youre only giving up some of your say in the winner if you choose not to rank all of the nominees in each cat.

• Like 1

Man wish I would have cast my ballot, last week was just to crazy to be thinking about this shit though. can't believe Mel didn't make the director nom there is no one even close that I would put in that category. can you write in votes?

The poll is done now and nothing has changed in regards to how people need to cast their ballots.

Please rank all of the nominees.  If you haven't seen one, and still want to to vote in that cat, you may choose to simply not rank that nominee or rank it 5th.

• Like 4

I just realized that Deepwater Horizon was shut out, even from technical awards. That's okay. I just saw it yesterday and thought it deserved a lot of different nods but I'll live.

Deepwater Horizon is still a fantastic film regardless and it might restore your faith in American heroism.

• Like 2

Should have this pinned in the main forum like a week before deadline so more people remember to participate.

Still working on my votes. Preferential ballots man. You guys just really enjoy ranking, don't you.

• Like 1